Bad Throwout Bearing?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 GT / 1999 Cobra

06z28eaTer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 06z28eaTer

Bad Throwout Bearing?

Well guys I did some searching and found some threads about people with bad throwout bearings and such but alot of them where confusing, 1 thread had something about you could tell the TB was bad when the clutch was pressed in, the other thread was saying the opposite, well I noticed today a weird ticking noise with the car in neutral and ebrake pulled, my stepdad said it is prob my throwout bearing, if i just barely touch the clutch, not even trying to push it, it stops, could this possibly be something else? Any info would be great guys.

-2012 5.0-
Roush Axle-Backs, Boss302 Valance, 18% Tint, CDC Trunk Panel, GT500 Spoiler, 20" Godspeed Wheels And More!

-2002 GT 5 Speed Full Bolt Ons
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

1995 Civic EX
Soon to see a Garrett 60 trim

DanTheMan will become famous soon enough

got the same thing with mine... it's most likely the TOB
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 GT / 1999 Cobra

whats the cost for replacement? Anyone know? And how long should I wait to fix it or is it a must fix asap deal?

-2012 5.0-
Roush Axle-Backs, Boss302 Valance, 18% Tint, CDC Trunk Panel, GT500 Spoiler, 20" Godspeed Wheels And More!

Old May 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

its the throwout bearing

our throwout bearings are supposed to barely rest against the pressure plate. its weird, but yes when the clutch pedal is IN it disppears. when your foot IS NOT on the pedal itll squeek. thats the signs of a bad tob on our cars. if its a ticking noise then it sounds like the problem I had. itll eventually start squeeking. AVOID SPEC TOBS!!!!
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #5

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 03z28eaTer View Post
whats the cost for replacement? Anyone know? And how long should I wait to fix it or is it a must fix asap deal?

$41 for a Ford OEM replacement throwout bearing
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 GT / 1999 Cobra

yeah man its a ticking, i have seen the TOBs are cheap but im curious about the average shop install, i dont really have axcess to tools to do the job and everything, maybe in a few months, but i wonder how long you can push these things.

-2012 5.0-

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

1995 Civic EX
Soon to see a Garrett 60 trim

DanTheMan will become famous soon enough

I'm in the same boat as you.. nowhere really to do it since my dad's sellin his house and the nearest open driveway for me is 20miles to my sisters lol
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #8

go ahead and save up for a new clutch.

DO NOT BUY SPEC. go with centerforce or Ram.

I mean spec is alright, but you have to trouble shoot EVERYTHING. It too kme to transmission installs to get everything good. Go with a Centerforce clutch, the pilot bearing that it comes with, and a Ford OEM TOB.

You may also need an adjuster kit for the clutch. SOme people like these, others dont. The adjuster kit does add in a big problem because you can accidentally have the pedal too tight and itll make your throwout bearing go bad 50 times quicker...

also a clutch install is gonna run you i wanna 250 in labor alone. and then add however much your clutch will be.
Id go ahead and 600 total for the whole kit and kaboodle

I did mine on my own. I saved a shit ton of money doing it too.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 GT / 1999 Cobra

well my clutch appears to be fine, no slip at all, shifts nice and smooth, car has 67k on it, would i be ok to run it a little while, say 5k miles and then change the clutch? because i hate to spend hundreds of bucks because it started squeaking you know. i'm guessing it will get worse, i want to get a aluminum driveshaft, so i may as well start saving though so i can get that also.

-2012 5.0-

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 GT / 1999 Cobra

Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
I'm in the same boat as you.. nowhere really to do it since my dad's sellin his house and the nearest open driveway for me is 20miles to my sisters lol
lol exactly man, im trying to buy a house now, so this is just my luck though, gotta spend money on my car now LOL

-2012 5.0-

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

04 Mustang GT

dude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the rough

Well keep in mind that a squeak will eventually turn into a grind. A grind turns into flywheel problems etc etc. Your better off spending the money now to just get it taken care of.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #12

^ +1

Id get it taken care of asap.

67k miles on the stock clutch is getting into the iffy range bro. I mean im sure its fina and everythting, but a clutch is good for like 75k miles. theres no point in taking all that stuff out and not doing your clutch with many miles on it. I mean when I did mine my stock clutch (53.8k miles on her) was like new. I was just doing it because I never wanted to take the tranny out again after I got my 2nd and 3rd synchros redone. I guess thats what you get for buying a used car...
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 GT / 1999 Cobra

yeah im gonna have to break down and get it done soon then. i have some buddies i may be able to con into helping haha

-2012 5.0-

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #14

well after doing all that work my self....

id say pay the extra money lol

unless you have acess to a hydralic lift and a transmission jack i say take it to a mechanic. I ruined a pilot bearing trying to put it in the second time.

The t3650 is no joke in weight dude. 140 lbs on your back freakin sucks. Im not a tiny dude whatsoever either, it just sucks because its a balancing act under a car that can only be like 2 1/2 ft off the ground with out a hydraulic lift...

Id pay the extra money and save my self alot of work and pain. also your car would be done in ONE day rather than 3 days. Remember that you either have to buy a new flywheel or get the old one resurfaced. resurfacing can set you back a day or two, but if you take it to a shop, theyll do it there.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 GT / 1999 Cobra

ill prob buy a aluminum flywheel and centerforce clutch, may as well upgrade now lol but i seriously dunno how long it take to save this up, what is the mileage limit i should push? i dont really have to drive the car, i have 4 cars that i drive, i usually just drive my 03 when i cruise around or go out you know. im gonna assume $1k to get all i want, with the ALDS, maybe more, so i dunno yet. man this sucks, i was hoping my clutch cable needed adjusting or something. lol wishful thinking i suppose!

-2012 5.0-

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #16

uhmm drive the others. drive the most fuel efficient one lol

that right there will save you a fortune.

look into the clutches though. DOnt be set of centerforce ya know? keep your eyes open and search around.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

04 Mustang GT

dude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 03z28eaTer View Post
ill prob buy a aluminum flywheel and centerforce clutch, may as well upgrade now lol but i seriously dunno how long it take to save this up, what is the mileage limit i should push? i dont really have to drive the car, i have 4 cars that i drive, i usually just drive my 03 when i cruise around or go out you know. im gonna assume $1k to get all i want, with the ALDS, maybe more, so i dunno yet. man this sucks, i was hoping my clutch cable needed adjusting or something. lol wishful thinking i suppose!
Could be worse...you could have blown out the front seal on your auto like i did today....car can't be driven till i get it all fixed.

As for your situation, there is no set miles that its going to get worse...if your in a crunch just drive it till the squeaking gets worse...but since you arent just park it till you get the parts. The job really isn't that difficult, especially if you have a lift and trans jack...it can be done in the driveway but the lift makes it easier.

And remember the golden rule...no job is free...gotta have beer and food (bbq and pizza are the best )
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #18

Originally Posted by dude496 View Post
Could be worse...you could have blown out the front seal on your auto like i did today....car can't be driven till i get it all fixed.

As for your situation, there is no set miles that its going to get worse...if your in a crunch just drive it till the squeaking gets worse...but since you arent just park it till you get the parts. The job really isn't that difficult, especially if you have a lift and trans jack...it can be done in the driveway but the lift makes it easier.

And remember the golden rule...no job is free...gotta have beer and food (bbq and pizza are the best )

have you ever put in a clutch and a t3650 back in on your back???

I will never do that shit again... no way in hell. way to hard to get that tranny back in. everything else is easy as hell, but lifting that tranny back up is MURDER
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

04 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post
have you ever put in a clutch and a t3650 back in on your back???

I will never do that shit again... no way in hell. way to hard to get that tranny back in. everything else is easy as hell, but lifting that tranny back up is MURDER
Answering a question with a question....have you ever tried mating up an engine to a tranny that is already in the car? It can be done, but yes its a bitch. All part of the fun of working on a car, i guess. A standard hydraulic floor jack and some wood make your job 10x easier.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #20
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 GT / 1999 Cobra

yeah beer and bbq definately lol and dude that does suck about the front seal man, bad day for everybody i guess LOL, i dont have axcess to a lift or a trans jack though, i may just end up coughing up the dough to get it done so i can say f**k it haha

and yeah zinc i bet that tranny is a mofo, i didnt even put my xpipe on, i paid a guy like 50 bucks to do it, cuz my buddy tried but he couldnt get to 1 of the bolts, he kept saying if it was 'his' car he could do it, maybe he just didnt wanna mess nothing up. so i guess next mods are for this. glad i finally got my shaker kit done though! lol

-2012 5.0-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Bad Throwout Bearing?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throwout Bearing Noise sharris Modular Mustangs 15 October 14th, 2010 04:48 AM
throwout bearing zinc02GT The Clubhouse 24 March 29th, 2008 12:18 PM
Throwout bearing has gone out Stagray 96 - 98 5 August 30th, 2007 11:13 PM
Throwout bearing mu5t4ng 96 - 98 2 January 16th, 2007 12:25 PM
throwout bearing q's Casper98GT 96 - 98 0 June 11th, 2006 10:49 PM