Modded Mustang Forums banner

Engine Oil Dipstick Install

10K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mpboy 
#1 ·
When i put longtube headers on in the fall i broke my oil dipstick tube trying to bend it around the new, larger primaries. Since then i bought a OEM replacment, but had to bend it differently to go around the headers again and it crimped from vice grips at the entry point into the pan. Now i cant get the stick in. So, i finally got a flexible tube with stick and im gonna install it soon. I was curious if anyone has any tips or ideas how to make removal of the old and installation of the new a little smoother, because it SUCKS trying to yank them out then jam a new one in!

#2 ·
dude im not going to bull **** you, i took my engine and trans out, too my drive shaft off and installed new u jounts. rebuilt the entire motor in my living room and reinstalled the engine and trans... all by my self. but then the dipstick broke.... i beat on it for 2 days trying to get the new one in... that little oil dipstick beat my and made me an epicfailpw3ndjackass. so my advice is to take it to a shop, they did my in 20mins. thay have done it befor and they have the right tools

#3 ·
but to answer ur ?, it would be a lot easier if you take the motor mount off, jack the motor up on that side, loosen the header and it gives you a lot more room to slide it back there into the block, but becarful bending and crimping them, there bent that way for a reason, and if you get a crimp in there the indicator will be a PITA to slide down into the tube. the old one will come out with a little twisting, the new one is a press in so it presses into the block, and make sure the o ring is on the new dipstick. also prepare to change your oil, because you will need to remove the filter to give you room to work, and any **** that falls down into you oil pan needs to be gotten out.

#4 ·
the oil filter isn't a problem and it it isn't worth taking the headers off to do. I had the idea of getting the block up to opperating temp and then i put the new tube in the freezer for a day. The freezer trick definatley helps, but not as much as id like it to. Also, i asked a Ford mechanic what they do and he said they just torch the block to heat it up, then just force that thing in there.

Any other ideas???

#5 ·
yea heating it up helps, my guy said he uses a tool that goes around the lip of the dip stick that sits on the block and taps it in with a hammer, sry i cant be more help, but those dipsticks are a pain man, if u come up with something let us know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.