Modded Mustang Forums banner

Programming key fob and spare keys

21K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  RTWeaver 
#1 ·
Hey, new guy here. Just bought an '03 black black coupe today, but it came with only one key and no remotes.
Once I procure more of each, how do I program them? With only one key, do I need to take it to a dealer?

Nick

#21 ·
you can program the key fob without taking it to the dealership, but I dont know how to program the key. All you have to do for the fob is put the key in and turn the key on and off i think its 10 times within a short period of time the doors will lock and unlock then you have a few seconds to press any button on both fobs and they will be programed

#22 ·
this is what I got from a search
This is the write up i have for it-

The keyless entry unit is in the trunk area on the drivers side. Remove the carpet material and there is a mounting bracket that holds the keyless entry unit (mounted on back) and the anti-theft unit (mounted on front. To program the keyless entry you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it on, but don't start car. In the trunk by the unit you will find a harness that has 2 pins, short those together and the doors will lock then unlock, that tells you that it is in program mode, then you push any button on the remote and the doors will lock and unlock again to let you know the remote was programmed, then you hit a button on any other remotes you are programming and the doors will lock and unlock again. Turn the key off and you are done! It takes only a couple minutes and this will delete any previous remotes and program the new ones. Hope this helps!!

#27 ·
i've tried just about every different procedure i can find. 4 times, 6 times, 8 times, 10 times, hold the lock button, hold luck & unlock....nothing works. does that mean there's something wrong with the system? my remote wasn't working so i replaced the batteries.

#28 ·
sup? newbie here... Just bought an 02 GT with only a single key fob, but also has an aftermarket alarm system that the stock key fob works with. I need a second key fob and am hoping the normal programming process will automatically also work for the new fob? Thanks, and great forum you have here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.