My Car Is Running Too Lean, How Do I Fix It?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

SPEEDRACERCHICK02'92' is on a distinguished road

My Car Is Running Too Lean, How Do I Fix It?

MY SEVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT IS ON AND HAS BEEN ON 4-EVER, I CHECKED THE CODES OUT ON THIS SIGHT AND IT SAYS THAT MY CAR IS TOO LEAN HOW DO I FIX THAT!! I HAVE TO GET THE EMISSIONS DONE QUICK SO I CAN PUT ON MY NEW EHAUST FROM HEADERS BACK!! YEAH!! !! 40 SERIES TOO!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
11.47@120.58

mdvaldosta will become famous soon enough

I doubt your car's actually running lean, most likely you have a bad oxygen sensor. What's the code your getting? It'll tell you which 02 sensor is tripping the light. 99% chance it's a bad 02. PS - turn off the caps : )
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Regular

sweet99 is on a distinguished road

Perhaps you will be lucky and have it be an O2 sensor. Maybe a plugged fuel flter. TPS. Pressure regulator. Good luck and be sure to let us know what the problem when you get it resolved and hopefully soon.
By the way a lean mix is better for inspection than a rich running motor. mark
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #4

THE EMISSIONS STATION INSPECT. GAVE ME THESE CODES: P0136 (O2 SENSOR) , P0156 (O2 AGAIN), P1131, P1150, AND P1151. I LOOKED THEM UP ON THIS SITE AND IT SAID IT WAS TOO LEAN.
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Regular

sweet99 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SPEEDRACERCHICK02'92'
THE EMISSIONS STATION INSPECT. GAVE ME THESE CODES: P0136 (O2 SENSOR) , P0156 (O2 AGAIN), P1131, P1150, AND P1151. I LOOKED THEM UP ON THIS SITE AND IT SAID IT WAS TOO LEAN.
My Haynes manual does mot have any codes like the last 3 you gave. They all start with a PO and then 3 digits, so that P1131 might be PO131?. All seem to be O2 sensor codes. Can you confirm the last 3 code numbers and where are they on this site, under what heading? Thanks, mark
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #6
RLY SRS

ChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ

Change out your 02 sensors...
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #7
Regular

White2000GT is on a distinguished road

I'm getting the bad O2 sensor codes as well. What sucks is that I bought them brand new along with the extension harnesses. You would think that brand new sensors would work just fine, but obviously mine don't.
Get this. So I found this website where I can type in the part I am looking for and it will send an email to a whole network of junkyards and such looking for the parts. I figure, hey, if I get them off another 2000 model then I am sure they will work. So I get a couple responses. They all want MORE for the used ones than what I paid for the brand new ones! What's up with that?
Magnaflow Magnapack catback
UPR CAI
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:06 PM   #8

I HAVE'NT MESSED WITH MY CAR LATELY, BEEN TOO BUSY WORKING TO PAY FOR MY ADDICTION TO RACING AND OTHER THINGS!! THANX YOU ALL FOR THE FEEDBACK!! I JUST GOT MOST OF MY EXHAUST FOR IT NOW IM WAITING ON THE H-PIPE. MY HUSBAND GOT IT ALL FOR ME OFF E-BAY FOR REAL CHEAP, I CANT WAIT TO PUT IT ON MY SHITBOX!! HE ALSO GOT ME THE ELIMINATORS TOO, WILL IT PASS EMISSIONS IF I PUT ALL THE EXHAUST ON WITH THE ELIMINATORS? IS LONG TUBE CERAMIC COATED HEADERS, H-PIPE, AND 40 SERIES FLOW MASTERS AND TIPS, ALL 2 1/2 IN. I USED TO WORK @ THE EMISSIONS STATION, BUT NEVER HAD ANYONE COME IN WITH THAT SETUP THATS Y I WAS WONDERING. THANX AGAIN GUYS!! I ALSO HAVE A MYSPACE ACCT. TOO ITS UNDER "MRS.REED" IF I'M NOT ON HERE. BUT IT DOES'NT HAVE MY PICS OF MY 92' SHITBOX ONLY MY 02' .
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #9
Regular

White2000GT is on a distinguished road

From what I understand, LT's will not pass emmissions testing. Now, whether that is with the sniffer or a visual inspection, I don't know. All the MIL's do is trick the car's computer into thinking there are still catalytic converters installed, so that won't affect the outcome of an emmission's testing in any way.
Magnaflow Magnapack catback
UPR CAI
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #10

Pretty Boy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SPEEDRACERCHICK02'92'
P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1
P1150 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Adaptive Fuel Limit - Bank No. 2
A code P1151 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Electrical:

* Short to VPWR in the harness or HO2S
* Water in the harness connector
* Open/shorted HO2S circuit
* Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
* Damaged HO2S
* Damaged PCM

Fuel System:

* Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system

Induction System:

* Air leaks after the MAF
* Vacuum Leaks

PCV system:

* Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:

* Leaking gasket
* Stuck EGR valve
* Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:

* Oil overfill
* Cam Timing
* Cylinder compression
* Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 Mustang

Invictus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Invictus

look my caps lock is off :lala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/8104-my-car-running-too-lean-how-do-i-fix.html
Posted By For Type Date
How do you fix the car running lean This thread Refback May 28th, 2013 06:19 PM

Threads Similar to: My Car Is Running Too Lean, How Do I Fix It?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RUNNING LEAN !!!! 97MUSCLESTANG Modular Mustangs 6 March 5th, 2007 09:03 AM
Difference between running rich/lean 1996gt 96 - 98 3 January 29th, 2007 03:30 PM
96 GT Running Lean on both Banks kennyvick General Tech 4 September 28th, 2006 10:31 PM
1995 5.0 Running Lean jcc1991 5.0 Mustangs 3 September 7th, 2006 10:58 AM
A Running Lean Code DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!! 97Cobra 96 - 98 4 March 6th, 2006 11:06 PM