Car sounds like it wants to stall on start up sometimes? - Page 2
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #21
Enthusiast

2002 MUSTANG GT
14.2@100

03gtfirered is on a distinguished road

our cars are EFI so pushing pedal before turning the key does nothing. I had a similar problem in my specv and it ended up being like dizzybonne explained. i ended up changing sparkplugs, coils, and a shit ton of other things. i have learned a lot since then and throwing money at the problem doesn't always fix it! sometimes you get lucky! i just bought my 02 gt and i havent had that problem yet so well see im sure i will! goodluck with that!

summit racing catback, bassani o/r x pipe, RAM HDX,jlt intake, mach grill delete, tinted headlights and tail lights!!

Originally Posted by TwirtleNutZ270 View Post
Dude not having a tuner is kinda like having a cake without a fork.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #22
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT

PowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nice

Originally Posted by DiZzyBonne View Post
It's just called vapor lock, sometimes the car won't start after it's been warmed up and you turn it off for a few minutes. Man is that embarrassing!
Originally Posted by OneqwkStang View Post
Mustangs are notorious for this problem. I had an older fox body that did the samething. In my 03 though I have found that applying some throttle before turning the ignition over helps. Cold starts are just fine...but yeah as the ^^^^other poster said it is kinda of embarrassing when you crank over your stang, at the gas station especially when you have others who stare at your nice ride wanting to hear more of your exhaust as you pulled into the station and then exiting it. Not only to hear it putter and die and then taking another 10 seconds to crank over. When mine dies, it takes a lot longer to crank than normal, so yeah kinda sucks sometimes when it happens but trying the method I described above has worked really well for me.

I know its so embarrassing thats for sure. Mine never die but it sounds like it wants to just stall on me.

OK so what you are saying is just give it a little gas while i turn the ignition and it will start up fine?

Im hoping to change my plugs this week.

Tuned by Speed Industry & Carolina Dyno
Procharged and Intercooled
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #23
Regular

04' Cobra
fast

fallingaway2 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

my 02' gt does the same thing sometimes....waiting on my tune, and i'll let you know.
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #24
Regular

2003 Ford Mustang GT
After Stall'd>>13.50??

03FstStngKB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PowerShiftz02GT View Post
I know its so embarrassing thats for sure. Mine never die but it sounds like it wants to just stall on me.

OK so what you are saying is just give it a little gas while i turn the ignition and it will start up fine?

Im hoping to change my plugs this week.
Yep, just give it a little gas on all your warm starts and it should never die. It may stumble but it should regain enough rpms to become stable enough to idle.

Originally Posted by 03gtfirered View Post
our cars are EFI so pushing pedal before turning the key does nothing. I had a similar problem in my specv and it ended up being like dizzybonne explained. i ended up changing sparkplugs, coils, and a shit ton of other things. i have learned a lot since then and throwing money at the problem doesn't always fix it! sometimes you get lucky! i just bought my 02 gt and i havent had that problem yet so well see im sure i will! goodluck with that!

What you are referring to is that you don't need to push the pedal before you start...you are correct in saying that but what I am talking about and let me just clarify incase I did not make sense in my other post is that pushing the pedal down some will help the car fire over in a warm start stumble idle condition because it allows more revs to be present while cranking over. It is perfectly safe to do this and you won't damage your engine because ford will not allow the car to start at WOT...try it...it won't fire...it will only crank...this condition ONLY happens when the computer conceives the car at being at WOT.

Since I have this warm start problem I just basically give the car a push of about a quarter throttle in all my warm starts and the times that the car wants to die...it will only stumble and then regain a perfect idle state. Not every time when I start the car from a warm start will it attempt to stumble or die but I never know when it's going to do it. My cold starts are fine like I mentioned before so this method does work for me and most likely will work for anyone else with this kind of issue.

I have heard some people say that if you replace certain parts it will help but in my case it has not. If it has for you then that's great! So even though it is annoying it is not enough to make me not want to drive the car...and if it dies...well yeah it sucks but I have personally heard much worse in all my years of driving and SEFI cars are much more reliable in their starting duties then any carb. car of the past. I think once you learn how much gas you had to give those old carbs they weren't too bad but still you had to worry about flooding issues but that is whole another subject.

^^^^^^^^^My other BaBy!!!^^^^^^^^^
<---Mods List--->
4.30 Gears Installed
Mac H-Pipe Installed
40 Series Flowmasters Installed
Diablo Predator Tuned
Coming soon>>>SCT Tuned
J-mod and 3700 Stall >> ET of completion 'Spring or Summer of 09'
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #25
MM Fanatic

KB'd GT

Trick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to all

Yeah cracking the TB plate open to allow some more air into the motor can help. All of this can be customized in the tune. If you have a tune you should talk to your tuner and have them work it out. Normally it only takes a couple trys to dial in the warm or cold starts if they are having trouble. Either add some fuel, or add some air.
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #26
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT

PowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nice

Mine sounds like this but a tad worse though. Mine sounds like its going to stall more then his does. But yeah i tried giving it gas before and that always has worked in the past. its just you shouldn't have to do that to start a car. I mean its not big deal to me. if thats what i have to do then thats what i have to do. But, if i can cheaply fix the problem by changing plugs etc then that would be great.

yea Trick i dont have a tuner yet. im not sure when i'll get a tuner

Just so we are all on the same page this is kinda what mine sounds like, only a little worse^^ Mine might even take 2 seconds longer at the most sometimes.

Tuned by Speed Industry & Carolina Dyno
Procharged and Intercooled
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #27
Look Ma! My First Post!

HeatherSeychelle is on a distinguished road

I have a Nissan 350z '05' and mines doing the same thing!! Except I got a tune up and it still does it?! Only when it's warm though. Not only embarrassing but it shouldn't do this. Anyone figure it out yet?
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #28
Premium Member

2004 Mustang GT

cedsks will become famous soon enoughcedsks will become famous soon enough

That same problem happened to me right after i installed my magnapac cat back, I have just learned to live with it....
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:53 PM   #29
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
1/8 - 9.2 sec

redriderjf87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to redriderjf87

Same thing happens to me, cold starts are perfect but if I start it after driving within about a half hour you gotta give it some gas to keep the idle up for a couple seconds (I stalled it a few times before realizing it). Otherwise the starter has to crank it an extra second or so, I'd like to fix this issue before I hurt my starter motor. I'm going to try looking/cleaning the IAC and look at the MAF too, does it matter if you clean the IAC with tb cleaner or wd-40 or something else? (I've heard both, just curious).

Justin
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:55 PM   #30
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

Chapman is on a distinguished road

Mine has done the same thing... I saw this video (About 5 Seconds in) and looked at the first comment underneath. Basically says the engine is temporarily flooded. Is that the same type of start as in the video above? It said it was a private video so I couldn't watch it.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:04 AM   #31
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

03 GT, 06TBSS,02RC-51,
12.X@1XX

T-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to T-Lee. 30

This thread was started back in 2008.
Iraq and Afghanistan War Vet 4 deployments from 01-08. My Wife is also a Army/war vet!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:12 AM   #32
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

Chapman is on a distinguished road

Damnit HeatherSeychelle...

Your first post in turn made me look like a dumbass......

Ban.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Car sounds like it wants to stall on start up sometimes?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
car stall MineralGreyGT 99 - 04 12 January 23rd, 2008 08:14 AM
New video of how my car sounds. MySallyMI 99 - 04 16 April 14th, 2007 08:21 PM
this guy said AB's car sounds like rice LOL 232stang V6 Mustangs 38 December 2nd, 2006 03:43 AM
2001 GT engine stall after start jmcconne 99 - 04 9 September 8th, 2006 02:08 PM
5.8/351 Windsor Cold Start Stall thunderbird885cc All Other Vehicles 2 July 3rd, 2006 12:27 AM