are cherry bomb glass packs california legal? AND
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:35 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Regular

2001 GT BULLITT

So_calpsycho is an unknown quantity at this point

are cherry bomb glass packs california legal? AND

do they sound nice? do they enhance performance?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #2
One Man Wolf Pack

2006 Mustang GT
13ish....maybe

06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT

Cherrybombs suck. Think of them as the trailer park muffler.

There are much better choices out there.
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #3

1969 Mustang Grande Coupe

subwayseries is on a distinguished road

Not all glasspacks are the same

Originally Posted by So_calpsycho View Post
do they sound nice? do they enhance performance?
The shorter the muffler, the more higher-pitched the sound (often correctly described as cheap, cheesy, or rednecky). The engine type and size will also affect the sound, as well as the exaust tip shape and diameter of the pipes.

An 18" glasspack with a 2" straight exhaust pipe will sound more raspy and high pitched. The same short muffler with a 3 exhaust can sound like wet farts. Some people think this is cool. To each his own, I guess.

I installed 36" louvered glasspacks with a 3" exhaust and they sound deep and throaty. The idle is surprisingly mellow in terms of volume, but you can clearly hear every cylinder with the determination of a purring tiger. Even when you hit the gas, they are never annoyingly loud and never raspy.

If you have room, go for the longer glasspack. The 36" that I have give me way more performance than the conventional resonator style mufflers I used to have. When I hit the gas on the Pacific Coast Highway, it's like my ears are getting laid. Every time.

subway

Last edited by subwayseries; October 5th, 2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

v606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to v606er

dont get cherry bombs!! i almost did. I went by a little half-ass exhaust shop, asked about exhaust, they told me about cherry bombs and how great they are, and he made it sound like they could be good, but i got on youtube, and MM, and quickly discovered
'go with the name brand'

Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #5

98 3.8 Sixxer

rooster1 is on a distinguished road

quick n00b question

is this what yall are talking about?

i do believe thats dual glasspacks
i just need confirmation
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #6
Regular

1968 302 Coupe

WeCircleTheProblem is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WeCircleTheProblem

cherry bombs are not trash and as far as the comment go with name brand...uhh im pretty sure the name "Cherry Bomb" is a name brand they have been around since 1968. The term cherry bomb though is broad cause they make many different types of mufflers...but to get the sound you really want research around watch videos, talk to people with your car, etc...

On a 1969 mustang like subwayseries glasspacks have a real good sound...plan to put them on my 1968 but it all depends on the motor, headers, and mid-pipe what sound you will get out of your mufflers

if you need help shoot me a pm i can make some suggestion...

Mustang Club of Maryland Member
Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fast Fords #002
Silver Mustang Club #0376

Daily Driver: '04 3.9L 5speed
Weekend Cruiser: '68 302 Coupe
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2005 Torrid Red GTO m6

Hourofpain will become famous soon enough

Cherry bombs sound like shit
look like shit
and dont last for shit

ya wanna get loud and scary?

X Pipe and offroad bassani exhaust

1996 Cobra
To be sold...
2005 M6 Twin Turbo GTO Torrid Red
Fully Forged LS2 Block Built to handle 1000RWHP. Fully ported Dart Heads. Edelbrock Jr Intake. Custom cut upper intake plenum. APS twin Turbo System with APS twin Fuel pumps.
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #8
Regular

2001 GT BULLITT

So_calpsycho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hourofpain View Post
Cherry bombs sound like shit
look like shit
and dont last for shit

ya wanna get loud and scary?

X Pipe and offroad bassani exhaust

appreciate the informative. but i;m also looking for legal. thanks
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM   #9
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

Anything beyond the last catalytic converter is totally open insofar as smog is concerned. By smog law, you can cut the exhaust off after the cat (and i've passed smog without a muffler on before). Cali vehicle code does require that you have a functional muffler installed, but that's as specific as it gets.
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

gragra73 will become famous soon enoughgragra73 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
Anything beyond the last catalytic converter is totally open insofar as smog is concerned. By smog law, you can cut the exhaust off after the cat (and i've passed smog without a muffler on before). Cali vehicle code does require that you have a functional muffler installed, but that's as specific as it gets.
Cali also has a db limit, but in San Diego county if you keep your nose clean and don't act like a jack ass, the cops will leave you alone. Hell, I am running magnapacks with an O/R prochamber.

New Ride 04 GTO
K&N intake, Dynatech Long Tube Headers, Magnaflow catted X, Flow 40s, MS3 Cam and dynotuned by Texas Speed.
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

97GT & 97Snake & 00L
T.B.A

97mustanggt will become famous soon enough

cherrybombs are legal in cali.....but if your exhaust is really really loud there are some cops that will pull u over...i speak from experience...haha

97 Cobra & 00 Lightning
Beauty & The Beast

I rev next to hybrids so they can hear me kill the environment

MM Cobra Club Member #77
MM Lightning Club Founder
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gragra73 View Post
Cali also has a db limit, but in San Diego county if you keep your nose clean and don't act like a jack ass, the cops will leave you alone. Hell, I am running magnapacks with an O/R prochamber.
What's the code for the db limit? Last time I checked the CVC, it only specifies that a muffler must be installed, not that it must be under a specific dB. Are you sure that's not a muicipal code for San Diego?
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
What's the code for the db limit? Last time I checked the CVC, it only specifies that a muffler must be installed, not that it must be under a specific dB. Are you sure that's not a muicipal code for San Diego?
Not sure if San Diego has a certain DB limit, but I know FRPP/Stingers are 49 state legal. Here is the link to the FRPP stingers Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-5230-5GT*]

New Ride 04 GTO
K&N intake, Dynatech Long Tube Headers, Magnaflow catted X, Flow 40s, MS3 Cam and dynotuned by Texas Speed.
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM   #14
MM.s Used Car Whore

1999 GT

svtkidd23 is a glorious beacon of lightsvtkidd23 is a glorious beacon of lightsvtkidd23 is a glorious beacon of lightsvtkidd23 is a glorious beacon of lightsvtkidd23 is a glorious beacon of light

get magnapacks with catted x
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM   #15
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

Originally Posted by gragra73 View Post
Not sure if San Diego has a certain DB limit, but I know FRPP/Stingers are 49 state legal. Here is the link to the FRPP stingers Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-5230-5GT*]
I wonder if that's because they don't count as mufflers here.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

I don't think so. I do believe they count them as a muffler. The ad says 49 state drive by legal.

New Ride 04 GTO
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:56 PM   #17
Regular

BUGMAN is on a distinguished road

Funny thread timing. My son has a 93 4 cylinder stang that is his DD. His muffler was going bad and he didn't have the cash for a new one so we went out back and cut a Cherry Bomb off some junky exhaust. Of course you know I welded that sucker under his 4 cylinder and I have to say that it sounds really good. No loud popping and not enough power to make it annoying. Even when he floors it you can't tell that it is a glass pack at all. Of course on a car with some power it would be a lot louder.

Anyway I would not put the "glass packs" on a V-8 car nowadays, too many other exhaust that sounds 100x better.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/85399-cherry-bomb-glass-packs-california-legal.html
Posted By For Type Date
Are Cherry Bomb Mufflers Legal In California This thread Refback December 30th, 2013 01:35 AM

Threads Similar to: are cherry bomb glass packs california legal? AND
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cherry Bomb BDaily V6 Mustangs 14 June 14th, 2008 03:40 PM
pypes or cherry bomb? 2000roush 4V / SVT 8 May 27th, 2008 10:32 PM
Cherry Bomb Glasspacks? Drtbkercr5 General Tech 6 January 12th, 2008 06:12 PM
Cherry bomb mufflers luman General Tech 8 April 29th, 2007 08:33 AM