Gas Tank Leaking?? How to Drop your Fuel Tank / Replace the Filler Neck Gasket
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (46) Thread Tools
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM   46 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Achieving more N/A power!

When this baby hits
88 miles an hour...

gills99stang will become famous soon enoughgills99stang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to gills99stang
Gas Tank Leaking?? How to Drop your Fuel Tank / Replace the Filler Neck Gasket

Attention mods: possible sticky alert!!

My gas tank started leaking a few weeks ago, only on the right side when the car was on an incline to the left, and only when there was a decent amount of gas in the tank (I noticed it when I was filling it up). After considerable research online, I figured out that the filler neck gasket had gone bad, which apparently is a common problem with '99-'04 Mustangs. So, I started on my quest to fix it.

The first task was to figure out how to drop the gas tank. I've never done this before on my car, but after some googling on the interweb I found a couple sites with instructions on how to do it. Seemed like a pretty easy task, just a b@#$% to do. Definitely helps if you have a buddy to help drop it. I was able to do it myself.

Once dropped, I was able to confirm that the gasket had gone bad. It was in two pieces, with one half just hanging around the filler neck loosely, and the other dropped somewhere inside of the tank. That sent me on a quick trip to the local Ford dealership to buy the new part, which was $17 with my military discount. (About $19 regular price) They should have it in stock, but I would call beforehand.

So, I figured that for once I would document the endeavor that was fixing my leaky gas tank with pictures and a MM thread (hopefully sticky). Here goes.

Here's the car jacked up and ready to go. I would highly recommend using jack stands for this operation, as you'll need quite a bit of space to drop the tank. A lift would be even better, but I haven't quite installed that in my garage yet.

You'll need to do a few things first before dropping the tank. I read online that its always a good idea to disconnect the fuel cutoff switch, so I did that. It's located in the trunk.

Disconnect the battery for sure. Don't want power running to anything. Then make sure you bleed off the fuel pressure in the engine compartment from the fuel rail:

After that, you'll need to remove three bolts in order to lower the tank. There are two metal straps that hold the tank up; one comes off completely (right side looking at the back of the car) and the other has one bolt and swings freely from its other end (left side of the tank). Notice the fuel filter in the first picture, I'll touch on that in a little bit.

After you loosen and remove the three bolts, you should be able to lower the tank. Definitely have a jack or something underneath the tank to gently lower it down.

It's hard to get the filler neck completely out of the tank. You'll need to disconnect all lines before trying to pull it out. Here's the part where you'll need to run to Advance Auto or NAPA unless you were smart and read this all the way through before starting. You need a fuel line disconnect tool in order to get the line disconnected from the tank. MAKE SURE you don't try and use some other tool (i.e. screwdriver and a hammer) to try and disconnect it; you might end up having to replace the fuel line. I believe the line is 5/16"; buy the right size tool accordingly. It was about $6 at Advance Auto for me.

There are a few other hoses you'll need to disconnect, notably up by the filler neck near the location of the gas cap. You don't have to disconnect everything; just enough so that you can set the tank on the floor. Once you're able to do that, I removed the fuel pump because half of the gasket had dropped inside of the tank. It was pretty hard to fish it out of there but definitely something you don't want to leave in there.

Here's the end of the filler neck once the tank was dropped. On the end of it there is a little plastic piece that clips onto it; I found it inside the tank. It might come off when you pull the tank out, make sure you look inside the tank and clip it back on.

Here's what the old gasket looked like:

Here's the part number of the gasket. If you don't remember to bring it to the Ford dealership they should still be able to hook you up as long as you tell them what you need.

Here's the new gasket installed on the tank. I read a post online where someone recommended putting Vaseline on the gasket to help get it on, but I just got it a little wet with some gas inside the tank and it went on fine, with a little bit of help from a small flat-headed screw driver. Before you put everything back together, I would recommend using this opportunity to replace the fuel filter, as you'll already have all the tools you need out (plus the fuel line disconnect tool) and PLENTY of space to do it.

After that, install everything back together. Remember when you go to start the car, to reconnect the battery and fuel disconnect switch first, then turn the key to ON for a few seconds to let the fuel pressure build up. The car should start up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #2

When this baby hits
88 miles an hour...

gills99stang will become famous soon enoughgills99stang will become famous soon enough

Additional Pics

Here's an additional pic of the filler neck partially inside the tank, this is where I was still disconnecting lines in order to get enough wiggle room to get the tank to pull out all the way. If you look behind the filler neck tube you can see the two other lines you need to disconnect from the gas cap feed. Also shows one half of the old gasket loosely hanging there.

Old September 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mach 1

Reloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Reloaded

Ah yes. That gasket leaks ALL the time. We sell a bunch of those. Nice write-up!

MM Cobra Club #42
417 HP & 413 TQ (Old #s)
422 HP & 453 TQ (New #s)
492 HP & 502 TQ (with Posi and 2lb lower)
Originally Posted by BuRnIn_YoUrS View Post
Dude...it takes alot to make me gag...
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Enthusiast

2007 MUSTANG GT 4.6

XPLICITSTANG is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to XPLICITSTANG

i think thats what mine has, it stinks like gas after i drove hard or when i feel the tank all the way but there is something weird that when im fueling my car it wont stop by itself when it filled up, it would just lick after the tank had been filled up
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Resident Bubblehead

2000 Mustang GT

00vabchgt is just really nice00vabchgt is just really nice00vabchgt is just really nice00vabchgt is just really nice00vabchgt is just really nice

nice write-up bro...

Military Crew
MM1 (SS)
Order of the Bluenose
US Navy Veteran
Originally Posted by MamaStang View Post
"Boy Danny....nice cock ya got there. "
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Proud American

1996 Mustang GT

MustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MustangMatt96GT

Props....

+ Rep

1996 Mustang GT - Racecar
1995 Mustang GT - Daily Driver
Special Thanks to:
PoorMan Motorsports Full Parts Supply
MIA Motorsports For any Chassis Related Work or Drag Wings

25.3 SFI Chassis Build

Never Lift Racecars
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Regular

1999 Mustang GT Convert

Wht99GTvert is on a distinguished road

Good info. Thanks.
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #8

When this baby hits
88 miles an hour...

I'm hoping this can become a sticky because I did a lot of research before figuring out how to do all this.

Old September 15th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Regular

2009 Mustang GT

medic_chris85 is on a distinguished road

Very informative!
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #10
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

nice job. great sticky material.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #11
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

YES. AWSEOME write dude. I think even the most novice mechanics could figure it out. Very detailed man.

+ reps
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #12

Ace_Cobra is on a distinguished road

i dont understand why you dropped the tank,
i've changed mine last year without dropping the tank, it was a ~30minutes job...
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT
14.13 @ 98.4

foursixblurrrr03 is a name known to allfoursixblurrrr03 is a name known to allfoursixblurrrr03 is a name known to allfoursixblurrrr03 is a name known to allfoursixblurrrr03 is a name known to allfoursixblurrrr03 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to foursixblurrrr03

very good write up!
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #14
Enthusiast

2007 MUSTANG GT 4.6

XPLICITSTANG is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to XPLICITSTANG

I just did mine today and no more gas smell
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #15

When this baby hits
88 miles an hour...

Originally Posted by Ace_Cobra View Post
i dont understand why you dropped the tank,
i've changed mine last year without dropping the tank, it was a ~30minutes job...
In my research, I had also read that you can do this without dropping the tank, but that is makes it a lot harder when you don't. Plus, this is a great oppurtunity to replace the fuel filter.

Old September 19th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #16
Regular

2003 GT
13.6 @ 101

zerofx150 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to zerofx150 Send a message via Yahoo to zerofx150

yeah thats an easy fix, when i was at the ford house i had a Gt with evap codes and found that to be the problem
03 GT 5sp, K&N FIPK, MAC LT ceramic coated headers, MAC Prochamber, Steeda Tri-ax, 3.73, SCT X-cal2 tuned by D&G Dyno Tune, NX plate Kit, Eibach Pro Springs, CMS Stage 2 cams. STRIKE design from MK Motorsports.
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #17
~C~
~C~, The Other White Meat!

Y2K YellowJacket GT
~TBD~

~C~ is just really nice~C~ is just really nice~C~ is just really nice~C~ is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to ~C~

Nice write up. I was the one who used vaseline. Some points to add:

1. Make sure you are real careful with the filler neck, you don't want to break it.
2. I disconnected all lines and the fuel line before I dropped the tank....made it a bit easier to manage.
3. Be extra careful when relieving the pressure at the rail. I used a big rag to soak up all the gas coming out. The manual says to run the car with the Fuel C/O switch disconnected till it stalls out. I did this then relieved the extra pressure at the rails.

Very nice write up. Good lookin car to!

"Like the blind man says......We shall see...."
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #18
MM Fanatic

2001 Mustang Bullitt
Faster than Twinmill

Black Bullitt is just really niceBlack Bullitt is just really niceBlack Bullitt is just really niceBlack Bullitt is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Black Bullitt

Nice write up. This is also a good double for replacing the fuel pump with a few extra steps to take the fuel pump assembly out of the tank. If you have the tank dropped already it'd be a good time to clean up the fuel pump assembly especially if that gasket has been ripped or torn. I know when I replaced the fuel pump on my old Bullitt for the blower setup there was a lot of crap in the botom of the fuel pump assembly.
2001 Bullitt #5069
505rwhp/538rwtq @ 15#s

Originally Posted by FluffyTheRhino View Post
Nothing says "Upgrade EVERYTHING" like busted parts
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #19
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

smccoy916 is on a distinguished road

Great Job. I changed mine last night because it leaked after a fuel pump swap. This writeup made the job easy. Mine didn't split completely in half so I didn't have to pull the pump. The gasket cost me $26 out here in Cali. Thanks!!
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #20

When this baby hits
88 miles an hour...

Originally Posted by smccoy916 View Post
Great Job. I changed mine last night because it leaked after a fuel pump swap. This writeup made the job easy. Mine didn't split completely in half so I didn't have to pull the pump. The gasket cost me $26 out here in Cali. Thanks!!
No problem. Glad to hear its helping others. Hopefully this can become a sticky.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/88697-gas-tank-leaking-how-drop-your-fuel-tank-replace-filler-neck-gasket.html
Posted By For Type Date
how to remove the fuel tank on a 2003 toyota tacoma This thread Refback September 22nd, 2014 09:38 PM
2001 mustang gas leak at tank, Help! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback January 16th, 2014 09:06 PM
How-To: The Compilation | V6Mustang.com This thread Refback October 29th, 2013 12:31 AM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback August 18th, 2013 02:45 AM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback March 18th, 2013 10:14 AM
Fuel - Vortech v2 install. need fuel pump help BADLY | Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Refback December 21st, 2012 07:00 PM
Mustang MuscleShirtThread: MY ASHTRAAAAAY - The Something Awful Forums This thread Refback December 15th, 2012 01:23 PM
Mustang MuscleShirtThread: MY ASHTRAAAAAY - The Something Awful Forums This thread Refback December 9th, 2012 12:55 AM
Mustang MuscleShirtThread: MY ASHTRAAAAAY - The Something Awful Forums This thread Refback November 28th, 2012 04:21 PM
Petrol smell This thread Refback June 16th, 2012 03:06 PM
Petrol smell This thread Refback June 15th, 2012 05:45 AM
gas tank filler neck This thread Refback February 23rd, 2012 11:23 PM
CObra leaking fuel! - SouthFloridaStangs.net This thread Refback February 10th, 2012 05:53 AM
2000 Mustang GT CCRM/Fuel Pump issue | Page 2 | Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Refback December 31st, 2011 01:23 AM
gas tank filler neck This thread Refback August 15th, 2011 03:15 PM
Petrol smell This thread Refback August 4th, 2011 04:29 AM
CEL Light? - SVTPerformance This thread Pingback July 4th, 2011 08:02 PM
2001 mustang gas tank gasket This thread Refback March 12th, 2011 10:25 PM
How to Replace the Filler Neck on a Ford Truck | eHow.com This thread Refback November 28th, 2010 12:01 AM
HELP ASAP!! car leaking gas - CMC Forums This thread Refback November 10th, 2010 12:11 AM
HELP ASAP!! car leaking gas - CMC Forums This thread Refback November 9th, 2010 11:52 PM
HELP ASAP!! car leaking gas - CMC Forums This thread Refback November 9th, 2010 11:26 PM
in need of 01 gt help, please - MustangForums.com This thread Refback November 8th, 2010 10:06 PM
2000 Mustang GT CCRM/Fuel Pump issue - Page 2 - Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Pingback October 4th, 2010 09:17 PM
Fuel Leak - MustangForums.com This thread Refback August 15th, 2010 02:31 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback July 7th, 2010 02:05 PM
gas tank filler neck This thread Refback June 28th, 2010 08:44 PM
Gas smell + Check fuel cap warning - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks and Cars This thread Pingback June 8th, 2010 06:08 PM
gas tank filler neck This thread Refback May 25th, 2010 08:10 PM
gas tank filler neck This thread Refback May 9th, 2010 12:33 PM
gas tank seal leaking - SVTPerformance This thread Pingback May 8th, 2010 04:52 PM
gas tank filler neck - ModularFords.com This thread Refback May 2nd, 2010 08:48 PM
gas tank filler neck - ModularFords.com This thread Refback May 2nd, 2010 10:15 AM
modular/new edge tech - United Gear Heads This thread Refback April 3rd, 2010 09:18 PM
modular/new edge tech - United Gear Heads This thread Refback January 28th, 2010 12:47 AM
modular/new edge tech - United Gear Heads This thread Refback January 27th, 2010 09:45 PM
How To Drop A Fuel Tank - Kosmix : Reference, Videos, Images, News, Shopping and more... This thread Refback January 15th, 2010 05:55 PM
1998 Mustang Problems Fuel Pump - Kosmix : Reference, Videos, Images, News, Shopping and more... This thread Refback December 20th, 2009 05:23 PM
the 0 ring for the gas tank - SouthFloridaStangs.net This thread Refback March 3rd, 2009 07:16 PM
CObra leaking fuel! - SouthFloridaStangs.net This thread Refback January 29th, 2009 02:54 PM
CObra leaking fuel! - SouthFloridaStangs.net This thread Refback January 29th, 2009 02:26 PM
CObra leaking fuel! - SouthFloridaStangs.net This thread Refback January 29th, 2009 02:06 PM
99-04 Fuel Filler Neck Gasket Tech Post - palmbeachmustangclub.com This thread Refback January 28th, 2009 02:33 PM
99-04 Fuel Filler Neck Gasket Tech Post - palmbeachmustangclub.com This thread Refback January 28th, 2009 11:28 AM
check fuel cap light - SVTPerformance This thread Pingback December 24th, 2008 01:08 AM
Gas Tank Leaking?? How to Drop your Fuel Tank / Replace the Filler Neck Gasket This thread Refback September 17th, 2008 10:04 PM

Threads Similar to: Gas Tank Leaking?? How to Drop your Fuel Tank / Replace the Filler Neck Gasket
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fuel tank filler hose question obake Classic Mustangs 3 September 2nd, 2008 08:21 AM
Fuel tank filler neck gasket blk01gt 99 - 04 9 August 21st, 2008 06:17 PM
Fuel tank filler help fox4.6 Modular Mustangs 1 June 27th, 2008 07:33 PM
Gas Tank Filler Gasket MustangMatt96GT The Clubhouse 16 January 18th, 2008 12:31 AM
drop gas tank Invictus 99 - 04 9 August 15th, 2007 12:09 PM