Volume vs Performance (LS motor)
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > All Other Vehicles

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #1
6.0L Sleeper

2008 G8 GT

slikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to behold

Volume vs Performance (LS motor)

I know this is a mustang forum, but I'm hoping you all can help. I posted this thread over on a G8 board, but it isn't nearly as active as this place. Here is the general gist. Car is a 2008 G8 GT.

As of right now, my exhaust is stock with the exception of Solo ABs. The volume and tone is just about perfect for me. I came from a Mustang GT running a pro chamber OR mid-pipe and straight pipes on back. That was fine when I was 23 and didn't care about having a conversation without yelling while driving the car. Now that I'm 28, I'm not looking to draw that kind of attention and have my car echoing off of buildings and the like.

My questions is simple. I want to do LTs with either no cats or hi flo cats for the power, but I don't want this thing to be any louder than it is now. Is this possible? If it is, what would you suggest? I was thinking LTs, X or H pipe, weld in Magnaflow mufflers or resonators back to the Solo ABs with J-pipes. Anyone with any experience in creating a free flowing performance exhaust while not being the guy that all the neighbors and cops hate please chime in.

I usually don't go for complete systems as I've found the same gains and cheaper price tag in piecing together a system and having a shop do some mandrel bending, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Anyone here have any experience with these motors in general or what you think would work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Retired My Staff

FM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to FM1R Send a message via MSN to FM1R Send a message via Yahoo to FM1R Send a message via Skype™ to FM1R

Re: Volume vs Performance (LS motor)

LT's, electric cut outs, off road mid pipe, and stock cat back.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
6.0L Sleeper

2008 G8 GT

slikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to beholdslikirish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FM1R View Post
LT's, electric cut outs, off road mid pipe, and stock cat back.
What would be the purpose in the electric cut outs?
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #4
It's called a buggy

2021 Mustang V15
Quad Turbo with nawz

BWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond repute

you won't be able to keep the same volume with LTs and O/R midpipe or even high flow cats. the high flow cats will be a little bit quieter though

'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

2001 Cobra For Sale

and to sum up dr.gonzo...

Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
Oh shit someone better stop me.
Nipple noodle and drugs round round 3.14 somewhere a 2POINT1

reality a cosmos ego fading a mirror image flipped upside down and re arranged

See a girl sucking your dick becomes your mother and your face becomes your father time is a bitch and takes you through the wormhole. A nipple in time that is the funnel for all 3.14 in a spiral of inertia, how can I explain a mushroom cap to the explosion of a warhead when it has the same Fibonacci sequence
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #5
It's called a buggy

2021 Mustang V15
Quad Turbo with nawz

BWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond repute

but i hear you like mufflers, so you can put a muffler on your muffler so you can muffle while you muffle

'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

2001 Cobra For Sale

and to sum up dr.gonzo...

Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
Oh shit someone better stop me.
Nipple noodle and drugs round round 3.14 somewhere a 2POINT1

reality a cosmos ego fading a mirror image flipped upside down and re arranged

See a girl sucking your dick becomes your mother and your face becomes your father time is a bitch and takes you through the wormhole. A nipple in time that is the funnel for all 3.14 in a spiral of inertia, how can I explain a mushroom cap to the explosion of a warhead when it has the same Fibonacci sequence
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #6
6.0L Sleeper

2008 G8 GT

Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
but i hear you like mufflers, so you can put a muffler on your muffler so you can muffle while you muffle
LOL. I was thinking maybe resonators in the center section and some form of muffler behind the rear axle. May be a experiment kind of thing.
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Anandavenkatakrishnan

Mustang
Slow Ride. Take It Easy.

dsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud of

Try getting stock mufflers....or the mufflers of a stock mustang and see if you can hack them in there. They are quiet as shit.

Dark Shadow Gray

Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
DSG (person not color sorry) always looks amazing
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #8
6.0L Sleeper

2008 G8 GT

Was kind of thinking of trying LTs, hi flo cats, resonator and see what that does. Then if it needs more I'll throw some muffs of some sort post axle.
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Banned

gravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the rough

Corsa, B&B, Spintech, Borla.

Catted or offroad midpipe, longtubes, and +1 for cutouts.
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #10
6.0L Sleeper

2008 G8 GT

Ok, why the cutouts?
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #11
Anandavenkatakrishnan

Mustang
Slow Ride. Take It Easy.

dsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud ofdsgpony has much to be proud of

So that you can be quiet when you want to and then when you want to go wot, you can open it up and make more power.

Dark Shadow Gray

Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
DSG (person not color sorry) always looks amazing
Old February 21st, 2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Regular

S/C'd 2006 Mustang GT

whippled is on a distinguished road

I actually have an 09 g8 gt. I like eveything loud so I'm the neighbor with the loud exhaust on everything. Id say pick up stock mufflers and run your lts and whatever you want for a midpipe. The stock mufflers are seriously quiet. The only reason mine are still on is she drives it a lot with the kids. Though that may change so I could have stock muffs for sale soon. Lol

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Also youre on the right track having the exhaust made rather than buying a complete system. Theres nothing cheap aftermarket wise for these cars.

1997 Ram 2500 Cummins. Stack and turned up pump....For now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.