START IDLE, RUNS THEN DIES
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > All Other Vehicles

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1

slownomo is on a distinguished road

START IDLE, RUNS THEN DIES

Hey guys/gals..

i have a problem that is *(&(%) me up the car is a a 1986 mustang 50 fi [speed density]

here's what happens, hard start-if left to idle for about a min it dies boom! shuts right down and if you try to give it ANY throttle it's like you hit a kill switch ,....but sometimes if you just floor the car it will run at about 3000 rpm but lumpy sounding as if a cam were in it [but it's stock] if you release the throttle it smooths out for a second and will go to 3500 rpm [sort of acts like a backwards gas peddle revs from floored to idle as opposed the the normal way....but then it dies after a few seconds while idling, will run forever but crappy as described but ONLY IF IT'S FLOORED!

codes I have are low voltage to fue pump relay...maf sensor [replaced it] map sensor [replaced it but still have the code after clearing it] tp sensor out of adjustment code [but got that code when I adjusted it]

my guess at this point is a fuel pump but wanted opinions on this

any ideas/?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #2
The Hammer

Millenium Falcon
"Lived the Dream, Created the Reality, Basking in my Awesomeness"

G.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond repute

u'd prolly get a bigger response in the 5.0 section

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I would eat the peanuts out of her shit

Car Salesman Club - The Hammer
ModdedMustangs Conspiracy Group: President
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

'88 LX body '91 GT D/T
8.7 in the 1/8th

homebrewed is on a distinguished road

how bout the injectors themselves? mine did something similiar to that and it was the injectors. tho. thats just one option...

www.myspace.com/evoalliance

greatest band alive

Originally Posted by Tony_90fox View Post
I wish there was a :lickmynuts smiley, because i would use it now
:lickmynuts
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #4
MM Fanatic

ujslost has a spectacular aura aboutujslost has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to ujslost

Im confused, you stated Speed density and then said you replaced the MAF???

Anyhow if it is speed density replace the black box that has a vac hose and a wire connector hooked to it. I for get what its called but I wanta say the Bap sensor. Which is sorta a MAF sensor on the speed density cars.
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #5

I know I was only able to see a pic of one speed density car and there was no maf meter/sensor but there is on this one [california?] or canadian? .

I'll clean and test the injectors for some reason I never thought of those as the problem but it makes sense.
Old October 6th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #6

MORE INFO: the car is from CA and it did come stock w/ a maf! freaky huh? and i am thinking more and more like it might be a bad pcm gotta do more testing but christ every sensor and even the dist. was replaced [before i got it]

QUESTION can i swap in a 9al ? it has a maf but is it still a speed density set up? or not?
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

'88 LX body '91 GT D/T
8.7 in the 1/8th

homebrewed is on a distinguished road

I should think so. My car was an '88 4cyl and its got a '91 drivetrain and the PCM/harness out of a GT

www.myspace.com/evoalliance

greatest band alive

Originally Posted by Tony_90fox View Post
I wish there was a :lickmynuts smiley, because i would use it now
:lickmynuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: START IDLE, RUNS THEN DIES
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
loss of power//ruff idle and engine shut down.// no start dj hexadron 99 - 04 1 July 25th, 2007 12:41 AM
Rough Idle and Almost Dies After Warmed Up Gallie 5.0 Mustangs 10 April 12th, 2007 08:27 PM
runs for 15 mins and dies fuel pump circuit open code jonboy 94-95 0 March 2nd, 2007 09:14 AM
Idle Problems Code 1506, Idle Overspeed Error jagstang96 96 - 98 3 August 29th, 2006 04:11 AM
Engine surges at start and idle fluctuates 200KMILES V6 Mustangs 2 May 3rd, 2006 05:23 PM