How to install aftermarket radio with mach 460 - Page 2
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Tech > Audio/Video

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (12) Thread Tools
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #21
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

wraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to wraitherx Send a message via Yahoo to wraitherx

on the 99-00 the system is set up a little differently then the 01-up. when replacing the factory radio and using that harness they should be connected to the Front/Rear outputs whereas the 01-up instead of 4 RCA connections there are only 2 and they are meant specifically for the Subout on aftermarket radios and this drives both amps.

Also another thing that you might want to check is that little black plug with the RCA's. They have a habit of pushing pins out if they are not initially aligned up right and that can cause your problems. best way to do it is to bend the wires at the plastic and then push it in. Also make sure that pins are aligned inside the pigtail as sometimes they are'nt. This happened quite often when I used to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #22

2002 Mustang GT

u6crash is on a distinguished road

Am I ever glad I found this thread. It sounds like you guys might be able to help.

So, I had a fancy Pioneer unit in my 02 Mustang that previous had the CD6 with the Mach 460 system. I wired it all up using directions I found elsewhere and I was pretty happy with the results.

Then two weeks ago someone smashed my passenger window to smithereens and yanked it out. Not only that, but they cut the plug that I believe is used to power the amps. There are two different strands that I cut back and they consist of an orange, gray/black, green/black, blue/purple, and bare wire from one strand and a brown/orange, red/black, green (or dark teal green), and another bare wire. That gives me nine wires for what was an 8 pin plug. Are the bare wires both grounds?

Now, I'd either like to find a way to get some connectors on these wires and hook them up to the stock head unit (the economical route) or figure out what order to solder them up to a new wiring harness. I can't find any information on these wires, only the standard speaker and power wires. Does anyone know exactly which wire does what so I could hook it up to a new unit? And for future reference (should I want to return the stock head unit later) does anyone know where I can get the oem plug for these wires?

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm leaving on a road trip for Lexington, KY tomorrow and I really don't want to spend that many hours in a car without tunes!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #23
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

wraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud of

i will get back with you in a little with the wire colors that you need
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #24
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

if those are the wires for the subs in order to get them to play you will need to get some RCA adapters to splice into place so that you can hook them up to your sub-output
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #25

2002 Mustang GT

With my previous head unit, I only had one pair of RCA adapters. Should I now be looking for something to have two pairs? I'm still not sure how these colors would pair off with the colors I have and how the bare wire comes into play.
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #26
Enthusiast

2001 mustang GT
12.67@110.34

kennyGT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kennyGT

should b stickied
97 GT automatic-SOLD
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #27

1995 mustang 3.8 conv

95black bullett is on a distinguished road

I am new to the mustang family my 95 3.8 had a 460 set up but whoever had it before me ripped out the radio but left the cd player and a mess of wires does anyone know of a good place to have a radio put back in it? also the speaker covers in the back were ripped up pretty bad and they glued them back on with a hot glue gun it looked like, is their a good place to get new clips and covers.Thanks
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #28
RLY SRS

ChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...r-console.html
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #29

Cooperm is on a distinguished road

I have a Mach 460 as well. I am not sure about a few things. I am looking at replacing the Head Unit. I think if I read this right I need to use RCA out from the head unit to the rear amps for the subs? (The reason is the RCA provide a lower power out than the line out wires?) The tweeters are still fine using the regular line out cables going to the front amp?

Now the next phase I may be replacing the speakers as well. I understand the subs to be 8 ohms and they are hard to find. What other optins do I have? I am guessing that the tweeters will work byjust replcing them as along as I get some mounting adapter becuase they are much larger than the aftermarket tweeters?

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to lend.
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #30
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

I just talked about this in another recent thread... search for it.
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #31
Resident DJ

'01 Cobra Vert.

Lefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...placement.html

2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe (the daily)
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition (the other toy)
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #32
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

Old November 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #33

Thank you I wa able to find it. I just did a search on your latest post and found what I am looking for. I think I may end up running my own set of speaker wire and put in an new 4 channel amp. That way I can put any drivers in that I want. Do you have a recommendation?

I did look at the schematics before posting so I was somewhat aware of the design limitations hat ford imposed.

Thanks,
Mark
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #34
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

Originally Posted by Cooperm View Post
Thank you I wa able to find it. I just did a search on your latest post and found what I am looking for. I think I may end up running my own set of speaker wire and put in an new 4 channel amp. That way I can put any drivers in that I want. Do you have a recommendation?

I did look at the schematics before posting so I was somewhat aware of the design limitations hat ford imposed.

Thanks,
Mark
in all honesty we can throw brands at you all day long but what it boils down to is that we dont listen with your ears, know what im saying? You need to go to a store that has them set up to test and listen to what you like.
Old November 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #35

Thank you. If I draw something up and post it as a pdf document could you tell me if my thinking is correct? Maybe their would be a better way to achieve the same results from a design aspect.

Thanks,
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #36

double-d is on a distinguished road

Great thread SCP! Sending you a PM.

Last edited by double-d; December 13th, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #37

2002 Mustang GT

Bumping this again...

I managed to get the pigtail I needed for my head unit (PN: 1U2Z 14S411 AYA), but I'm not 100% sure how to hook it all up. It seems I have one extra wire from the vehicle wiring harness. Anyone have an accurate diagram for this or know the best source for one? Also, looking for some replacement mounting screws if anyone knows the best place for them.
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #38
Look Ma! My First Post!

2003 Mustang GT Convt.

Angeloupe is on a distinguished road

Hi scp616,
Of course, as you can see, I'm a newbie. Joined mainly to get some more great advise from you since you have experienced changing your head unit to an aftermarket. My Mach 460 has been broke with cd error for over a year now and I really want to have cds in my car again. Again, Im just a girl who knows nothing about this kind of stuff. Would you be willing to help me with a few questions I have? Pretty Please??? It would be so appreciative..

I see what system you chose and it looks nice.. I'm just curious how nice it looks installed in the car. COuld you post a pic? YOur directions look self explanatory but anything you would advise me personally on since i know squat about electronics??

Thank you thank you thank you.....
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #39
Regular

02 Mustang GT

Big Rob is on a distinguished road

bump, bcuz I will be needing this in a couple of days.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:31 AM   #40
Enthusiast

ndfrspd can only hope to improve

I have a 1998 GT and Ive tried this harness from crutchfield: Ford Receiver Wiring Harness For select 1989-2000 Fords with factory amplifiers at Crutchfield.com

I hooked it all up and im still only listening to my tweeters up front and my 2 rear speakers. Door speakers are dead. I know ford equipped the 98 with 3 different amps but what do I need to do to hear some bass in my car?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/audio-video/116467-how-install-aftermarket-radio-mach-460-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Question about new sound system - 2010 GT : Mustang This thread Refback March 23rd, 2014 02:03 PM
Question about new sound system - 2010 GT : Mustang This thread Refback January 28th, 2014 10:20 AM
Help with wire issues - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback September 7th, 2013 06:27 PM
installed aftermarket headunit with mach460 - volume is now very low.. - Page 2 This thread Refback February 17th, 2013 09:29 PM
installed aftermarket headunit with mach460 - volume is now very low.. - Page 2 This thread Refback July 18th, 2012 12:10 AM
installed aftermarket headunit with mach460 - volume is now very low.. - Page 2 This thread Refback July 17th, 2012 09:39 PM
Mach 460 Wiring Diagram- AskKids.com This thread Refback April 29th, 2012 09:24 PM
question - Chevrolet | GMC | Ford | Dodge | Performance, Tech Forum | The Ultimate Truck Social Network - RGVTP.ORG This thread Refback March 24th, 2012 03:44 PM
question - Chevrolet | GMC | Ford | Dodge | Performance, Tech Forum | The Ultimate Truck Social Network - RGVTP.ORG This thread Refback March 24th, 2012 01:34 PM
Electronics on Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback February 26th, 2011 09:46 AM
Wiring Diagram For Mustang Mach 460 This thread Refback September 8th, 2010 05:39 AM
Mach 460 Wiring Guide on Kosmix This thread Refback May 14th, 2009 12:51 AM

Threads Similar to: How to install aftermarket radio with mach 460
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket radio with 460 system scp616 Audio/Video 17 October 19th, 2009 05:54 PM
how to install aftermarket radio wraitherx Audio/Video 2 January 13th, 2009 01:50 PM
What aftermarket radio did you install? chad05gt 2005 - 2010 21 December 13th, 2008 12:37 AM
Non mach 460 a/m radio installation ZoomZoomMFer The Clubhouse 4 June 2nd, 2008 06:46 PM
Pioneer radio install in 98 gt with mach 460 98gtmike Audio/Video 5 March 3rd, 2007 09:49 PM