How to install aftermarket radio with mach 460
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Tech > Audio/Video

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (12) Thread Tools
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:58 PM   12 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

scp616 is on a distinguished road

How to install aftermarket radio with mach 460

After a ton of research, i finally got my sony radio installed and working properly with the stock amps, subs, and tweeters. I though i would make a post to eliminate the confusion for anyone else that would like to convert theirs so it's a little easier for them. Hope this helps...

First thing, here's what you'll need:

Adapter harness, this one is the only one that will work... trust me, i've discovered this throug trial and error

Ford Receiver Wire Harness For select 2001-03 Ford Mustang and 2003 Lincoln LS models at Crutchfield.com

As you can see, it only has two plugs YOU DO NOT NEED THE THIRD ONE! However, the small plug is important, as it is completely responsible for controlling the amps. If you make the same mistake as i did, and do not get the correct plug, you'll end up listening to your tweeters. The amps need a low level signal coming from the radio, and therefore require an RCA connection. Also make sure you wire up BOTH amp powers (blue with white stripe) and BOTH amp grounds.
THIS CONTROLS BOTH FRONT (in door) AND REAR SUBS
The remaining tweeters are controlled by a high level output, and can be wired straight into the harness for your after market radio.

You will also need an adapter plate to adapt the stock opening to a normal radio size. ( the one i got wasn't all that great and required some fabrication, i would recommend trying the one from crutchfield)

LASTLY AND IMPORTANT!!!
Make sure you either buy an aftermarket radio that can limit High frequencies for the bass, and low levels for the tweeters, or you will be pumping bass out of your tweeters. You can also do this by wiring "Bass Blockers" into your harness. The stereo i ordered was able to control all of this and did not require bass blockers, i highly recommend it, but i'm sure there's other one's that have the same function
here's the link for the radio i purchased, it's nice because you can change the light color to green to match your gauges and it has usb capabilities that work great for playing music off my blackberry

Sony CDX-GT730UI (cdxgt730ui) In-Dash CD Receivers with MP3 / WMA Playback In-Dash Car Stereo Receivers and Head Units Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix

Well i think that's about it, i'm sorry for the lengthy post... just hoping this will keep people from going through the frustration i had to
If anyone has any questions, just ask
02 GT --> long tube headers w/ x pipe and flow masters, throttle body w/ intake plenum, cold air intake, short throw, 255 nitto 555's all around, 373 diff gears, 2 inch lowering kit w/caster camber plates, sony radio working with stock system
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Regular

1996 Mustang GT
n/a

texas96gt is on a distinguished road

Good info, thanks.
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Regular

2002 Mustang GT, 5 speed
13.60@105

Slow_Stang is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Slow_Stang

I have a question, im using the crutchfield harness, and where do i put the blue/white amplifier turn on wires? do i run them into the yellow power? and the rca cables do i run into the back of the headunit from the amplifier harness?

Wisconsin BLOWS!!

riding the fail shuttle all the way to loser moon
whp:261 tq:301
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Banned

2004 Mustang GT
12.35@114.08 w/ 1.88 60'

dcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to behold

Your blue and white wires on the harness with the RCAs should be connected to the blue wire on your head unit harness (remote power, might be listed as a power antenna wire). And the RCAs plug into the back of your head unit, i think you're supposed to plug them into the front RCA slots if you have front and rear rca's

This is a pretty good description of how to do the install

Integrating AM Head Unit w/ Mach 460 (00-04 Mustangs) - Mustang Forums

Other good info on this, explains the grounding work a little better

Mach 460 Head Unit
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Banned

2004 Mustang GT
12.35@114.08 w/ 1.88 60'

dcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to behold

There should be a yellow wire (continuous power, I think) on your head unit harness that you connect to another yellow wire on your crutchfield harness...
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

The RCA's plug into the RCA plugs on the back of the head unit, i plugged mine into the rear slots, because my head unit allows me to tweak those separately, but for most basic radio heads, it shouldn't matter, it'll just be affected based on the balance of front and rear.
As for the amp power wires, my radio head had a separate wire for amp power, however, all it needs is a 12volt switched power, DO NOT hook it to continuous power, as your amps will ALWAYS be on and it will drain your battery
02 GT --> long tube headers w/ x pipe and flow masters, throttle body w/ intake plenum, cold air intake, short throw, 255 nitto 555's all around, 373 diff gears, 2 inch lowering kit w/caster camber plates, sony radio working with stock system
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Banned

2004 Mustang GT
12.35@114.08 w/ 1.88 60'

^^ True that. I just hook the amps to the blue power antenna wire. There is only power to that wire when the radio is on (hence why a power antenna is only up when the radio is on). He's right though, any switched power source will do. I've seen people even hook their amps up to a continuous power source and have a toggle switch. Not the smartest thing in the world because I just know I would leave it on, but w/e it works for them.
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Banned

2004 Mustang GT
12.35@114.08 w/ 1.88 60'

I actually JUST hooked my harness up and put my cdplayer in. It was pretty easy, but my harness was different than most other years. My second plug only had power wires for the amps, no grounds, so it was an easier hookup (also mine didn't have an orange/black wire ?) Connected my two blue amp power wires and my external amp power wire to the blue wire from the head unit, everything works perfectly!
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

Glad to hear it man!
I actually got the harness you're talking about first, but I needed the grounds for my year =P so I eneded up having to get a different harness
One thing you'll NEED to do
Most radios will send base signals to the tweaters, on my radio you can set a cut off frequency to avoid blowing out a tweeter, if your radio head won't do this, you'll need to pick up some "bass blockers" which will do this for you. They're an easy wire in and they're pretty cheap too, like $15 I believe
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:34 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT
eventually @ something

trueblue02GT will become famous soon enough

I wish there were instructions about actually installing it tho lol. like wiring, with pictures n crap. im about to get a new deck and im not willing to spend $200 in installation.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #11
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

yeah, my crutchfield harness i bought came with wiring diagrams, and in coordination with the diagrams that came with my sony radio head, it showed every wire
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Banned

2004 Mustang GT
12.35@114.08 w/ 1.88 60'

trueblue02 it truely is simple. DO NOT SPEND $200 ON INSTALLATION. Hell, i'll wire the thing up for $20 if you pay for shipping to and from. But really, you should be able to do this yourself. Most of the wires from the car harness hook up to the same color combination (purple goes to purple, purple w/ black stripe goes to purple w/ black stripe, etc). Sometimes if the wires dont match anything you dont have to use them. I did not need the yellow and black mute wire when I installed mine, I just taped it off to insulate it.

I've done a few of them before like on a '95 and '97 avenger, and it seems like the wire colors are almost always universal to avoid confusion. Do it yourself and if you have any questions, shoot me a PM. I usually answer pretty quickly.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM   #13
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

^^ Yeah after market companies are pretty good about making everything match up, if you get a good harness it isn't hard at all, you do all the wiring out of the car and then just plug your new stereo in, you won't have any problems, and if you do, you're welcome to message me also and i'll be glad to answer any questions. Since you have an 02, it's probably the same exact wiring as i have, unless you have the mach 1000
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT
eventually @ something

trueblue02GT will become famous soon enough

Nope i have the same deck as u did i think. not the 1000. here's what i plan on getting:
Alpine CDA-105 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
(06redfiregt recomended it, and i think its plenty, i just want to use my ipod and play music).

I did want to get a touch screen DVD playing deck but im not sure yet. isn't that way more complicated to install?
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM   #15

1999 SVT Cobra

99svt3753 is on a distinguished road

shoulda looked up my posts from like 2005 .. I have a JVC aftermarket installed into my stock MACH 460 .. I also have MB Quarts where the stock 6x8s were .. if you want to use the complete MACH 460 setup (aka all 3 amps) the system sounds great if you do it right .. I had a LOT of people take their stuff to BEST BUY and those guys didn't know how to hook it up so everyone lost the 6x8s because they FORGOT about the remote wire to the rear amps .. I'm sure my schematics are online still at a few other places ..

remember the front amp it rated at 500-20K Hz .. and the "SUBS" are from 20-500Hz .. the front amp feeds the rear amps with a modulated RF signal (that's why you can't tie off an aftermarket sub from those lines - you have to tie them into the Black/Green and White/Black lines themselves that go to the 6x8s) ..

installing an aftermarket head unit to tie into the front amp (4way that feeds all 4 "tweeters / full range") if you CRANK up the volume it WILL sound like garbage because your unit it pumping out say 25-55 watts per channel and the stock head unit does not .. it feeds that front amp which amplifies and crosses over the frequencies.
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #16

Mustang 2000

tsmst is on a distinguished road

Low bass and beep on startup

Hey scp616 I installed the same sound system as the one you have.. But the bass levels I am getting from the sound system is far too low compared with my stock mach system. Also I get a strange beep kinda noisy sound when I press the source button to actually start the system. Did ya notice anything like that?
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #17
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

wraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to wraitherx Send a message via Yahoo to wraitherx

Originally Posted by tsmst View Post
Hey scp616 I installed the same sound system as the one you have.. But the bass levels I am getting from the sound system is far too low compared with my stock mach system. Also I get a strange beep kinda noisy sound when I press the source button to actually start the system. Did ya notice anything like that?
What harness did you use and depending on the brand the beep noise is common when you press source.
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #18

Mustang 2000

I got the harness from crutchfield :

Ford Receiver Wiring Harness For select 1989-2000 Fords with factory amplifiers at Crutchfield.com

I read somewhere people saying that they got a loud pop noise when they switch on their aftermarket sound system.
But I get a beep noise when after the sound system has been started, when it actually chooses the mode of playing.
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #19
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

wraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to wraitherx Send a message via Yahoo to wraitherx

thats the right harness. as long as you hooked it up to the RCA front and rear outputs then you should be fine. that beeping sound is fine, what brand unit do you have? The popping sound is very distinctive and it doesnt sound like a beeping at all.
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #20

Mustang 2000

So I checked my system again and the rear subs seem to be working fine, but not the front ones. Did I miss some wiring or is something else wrong with my aftermarket unit?
I am thinking of bypassing the main stock amplifier and connecting the output for subs on the aftermarket system (yes, my aftermarket sound system has a separate output for subs) directly to the rear amps. Will this work?
I have a Sony CDX GT630UI installed currently as the head unit... But the beeping screeching noise is still there and its annoying! Does anyone know how to get rid of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/audio-video/116467-how-install-aftermarket-radio-mach-460-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Question about new sound system - 2010 GT : Mustang This thread Refback March 23rd, 2014 02:03 PM
Question about new sound system - 2010 GT : Mustang This thread Refback January 28th, 2014 10:20 AM
Help with wire issues - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback September 7th, 2013 06:27 PM
installed aftermarket headunit with mach460 - volume is now very low.. - Page 2 This thread Refback February 17th, 2013 09:29 PM
installed aftermarket headunit with mach460 - volume is now very low.. - Page 2 This thread Refback July 18th, 2012 12:10 AM
installed aftermarket headunit with mach460 - volume is now very low.. - Page 2 This thread Refback July 17th, 2012 09:39 PM
Mach 460 Wiring Diagram- AskKids.com This thread Refback April 29th, 2012 09:24 PM
question - Chevrolet | GMC | Ford | Dodge | Performance, Tech Forum | The Ultimate Truck Social Network - RGVTP.ORG This thread Refback March 24th, 2012 03:44 PM
question - Chevrolet | GMC | Ford | Dodge | Performance, Tech Forum | The Ultimate Truck Social Network - RGVTP.ORG This thread Refback March 24th, 2012 01:34 PM
Electronics on Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback February 26th, 2011 09:46 AM
Wiring Diagram For Mustang Mach 460 This thread Refback September 8th, 2010 05:39 AM
Mach 460 Wiring Guide on Kosmix This thread Refback May 14th, 2009 12:51 AM

Threads Similar to: How to install aftermarket radio with mach 460
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket radio with 460 system scp616 Audio/Video 17 October 19th, 2009 05:54 PM
how to install aftermarket radio wraitherx Audio/Video 2 January 13th, 2009 01:50 PM
What aftermarket radio did you install? chad05gt 2005 - 2010 21 December 13th, 2008 12:37 AM
Non mach 460 a/m radio installation ZoomZoomMFer The Clubhouse 4 June 2nd, 2008 06:46 PM
Pioneer radio install in 98 gt with mach 460 98gtmike Audio/Video 5 March 3rd, 2007 09:49 PM