Stereo help - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old December 15th, 2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Stereo help

I bought my 1998 convertible GT last year. The Mach 460 was replaced with a Sony CDX GT640UI. Since then sound only came from tweeters. Thought the main speakers were bad. Bought new ones and still no sound. So I decided to take a look behind stereo. Oh crap! What a freaking mess! Whoever installed the unit did a real hack job. My question is, what exact harness do I need to make this right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old December 18th, 2015, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Could really use help. Looks like the stock adapter to the Mach 460 stereo was cut off. Is there an exact adapter I can purchase and splice back on? If so where can I purchase?

1998 Ford Mustang GT
1972 Buick Skylark GS
post #3 of 4 Old January 18th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Regular

I had that issue when I replaced the stereo on my GT. Apparently there is a harness available now that can fix that, but I just had the guy replace all the speakers throughout the car.

2001 Mustang V6 - sold
2003 Mustang GT Vert - sold
2003 Mach 1

post #4 of 4 Old July 1st, 2016, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy2000 View Post
Could really use help. Looks like the stock adapter to the Mach 460 stereo was cut off. Is there an exact adapter I can purchase and splice back on? If so where can I purchase?
Okay the problem with the mach 460 stock sound system is if you're going to go aftermarket you need to replace everything!!!! You cannot use Aftermarket speakers with the stock speaker amps or an aftermarket headunit with the stock system it will just be garbage.

The stock amps are powered to 3ohms which is awkward. So if you decide to go with components you need to rewire and install new speaker amps. If you decide to go with 2/3 way coaxial speakers you need to rewire all speakers from the head unit to the speakers.

You can still use a metra ford harness to draw you 12v, ground, dimmer/illum, constant power. So essentially you could buy the Metra harness adapter and wire all the speakers to the headunit and all the power to the adapter.

Carolina Crew #49

| Vortech V3 intercooled | 385 rwhp 379 rwtq|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page