200 6 cyl carb ?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Classic Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1

1965 granny mobile
stock 6 n/a

str8pipes is on a distinguished road

200 6 cyl carb ?

I have a 65 mustang with a 200 6 cylinder. anyways the carb is junk. i would like to replace it with a bigger better one etc.. but u cant replace the intake because its built into the head . any ideas ?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah....

I haven't done too much research into this, but my understanding is that you're pretty much screwed, lol.

You can mill off the intake manifold and have a different one put on there that will allow for a better carb setup (triple weber sidedrafts would be cool), or you can go to fuel injection (maybe).

You might also be able to find a different head for the motor (maybe off a 250 or a 300).

Good luck with it man.
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

460brevill will become famous soon enough460brevill will become famous soon enough

carb

go to www,classicinlines.com.they offer an adapter plate to put a 2 v carb on your engine.you can do anything if you want to.

Last edited by 460brevill; January 18th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #4

03 GT, 64 GMC

BA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant future

If you use the clifford 2v adapter you can get the Holley/Weber 2v carb from langdon's stovebolt.

The CI adapter is for carbs like the Holley 350cfm 2bbl.

Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
I'm a fucking idiot. I'll do it with my sister.
64 GMC build
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

460brevill will become famous soon enough460brevill will become famous soon enough

use the 250 head.has a bigger log runner for more air flow and bigger valves.76 granada 250 is good.300 will not work.
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Regular

1966 Mustang

sneakygt91 is on a distinguished road

with the 250 head, don't you have to perform some mill work? I have heard that it involves a lot of machining to get it to work properly.
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

no muss no fuss.direct bolt for bolt hookup.same bolt pattern and torque.
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #8

1965 granny mobile
stock 6 n/a

thanks

i like the idea of using the adapter plate thats cool. and thanks for the site. but next step is what carb should i use with the adapt.? and where should i get it ? i know u can only fuel an old six so much before u defeat yourself . and i have no clue what i should be looking for. i have never tried to make a 6 cyl. "run good" before. hey any ideas are useful. thank you.
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #9

03 GT, 64 GMC

BA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant future

If you use classic inlines adapter go with a Holley 350cfm 2bbl.
If you use clifford adapter go with Holley/Weber 2bbl.

Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
I'm a fucking idiot. I'll do it with my sister.
64 GMC build
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Regular

1966 Mustang

Ok, 6 cylinder performance guys. So far, I have a clifford header leading to 2.5'' exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers, flexalite fan (for the hot summers), and pertronix ignition. I just spent a sh*t ton of money on a ponycarbs Autolite 1100 to make the car run smoothly. I am seriously considering throwing on the 250 head (I found one in really good shape) and switching to a two barrell carb. It is worth it? Will drivability suffer? I just want a car that is fun to cruise in, but has enough power to get down the interstate with ease. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

go to the site i listed ABOVE.get a cam and use the 350cfm BA MUSTANG suggested.you will see a big diff.
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #12

1965 granny mobile
stock 6 n/a

i also have a 289 under the bench. but i have been told the suspension and the 4 bolt axels can't take the stress ? as far as the weight the v8 can't weigh but a couple hundred pounds more . but ive been warned so there must be a reason. and off topic maybe replacing the 6 cyl. would take from the value. i dont know. just want a more responsive ride. so give me some ideas. thanks.
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #13

1966 Coupe

AtlantaSteve is on a distinguished road

the i6 and v8 have different steering components, including spindles, tie-rods, centerlink, idler and pitman arm. The coil springs for the v8 are beefier to hold up that motor, and the 4-lug axle and brake system is different. And the Rear end is different.

You CAN keep the tie-rods, centerlink, idler and pitman IF you go with the CSRP Swap kit #2 from discbrakeswap.com. that will upgrade you to beefier spindles, with 5 lug Disc brakes. You will still need to replace the front springs and the rear-axle, though.

The Upper and Lower control arms for the 6 cylinder and V8 are the same, so you can leave those alone...though if they are older, they might require some inspection and freshening anyway. I recommend a new LCA, Upper Ball Joint, and Moog UCA Shaft Kit.

you're probably looking in the 1k - 1500 range BEFORE you build and install the motor, depending on how well you source your parts
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #14
Regular

1966 Mustang

so how big of an increase in power am i going to see by simply replacing the stock head with a 250 head? and will this run ok with the stock carb and my previously mentioned mods?
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

it will run fine.dont look for a big increase without carb.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:51 PM   #16

My66 is on a distinguished road

Do you have to machine the intake manifold before using an adapter plate?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 200 6 cyl carb ?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
0-200 White Thunder The Clubhouse 4 July 2nd, 2008 01:46 PM
Most HP from 4 cyl Brenda 2.3 Mustangs 64 November 11th, 2007 08:46 AM
4 cyl maf sensor or 8 cyl? Darrellx14 5.0 Mustangs 12 January 11th, 2007 10:15 AM
4cyl to 8 cyl ???? doorvip 5.0 Mustangs 2 December 18th, 2006 07:23 PM
Looking for someone who has actually done a 4 cyl-8 cyl swap OTreborO 5.0 Mustangs 0 August 17th, 2006 11:16 AM