67 Mustang Wiring Harness
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Classic Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Regular

1967 Mustang Coupe

Hunter7158 is on a distinguished road

67 Mustang Wiring Harness

Hey guys,
Before I started following this forum I ordered a Painless wiring system for my 67 Mustang Coupe. When I started laying it out in the car, I could see that it was going to be alot of work and not be good quality or last. I returned it to CJ Pony Parts. They now have another Harness that they say is "Plug and Play". I called them directly and they said it should have all the connectors on it. It is made by American Autowire.

510055 MUSTANG AMERICAN AUTOWIRE COMPLETE WIRING HARNESS 1967-1968

I know you all do this alot more frequently than I do. Should I go with this American Autowire kit? or just buy Headlight section, taillight section, and underdash OEM replacement pieces? or is there another route I should take...

Thanks guys
Hunter

Just another step towards finishing this car
Edelbrock 650cfm 4v Carb
Hooker Headers
Flowmaster Exhasut
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Lost in the 60's

1968 GT 500 Super Snake
12.6 @ 114.3

MustangOne has a spectacular aura aboutMustangOne has a spectacular aura aboutMustangOne has a spectacular aura about

Painless needs to be RENAMED Pain in the A$$,

Just use the 67 wiring, It works a lot better, it does just plug in.

What I do is repair my under dash wiring and replace the rest with all new.

The under dash is a little high.
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
April 2010 ROTM

1967 Fastback

67svtstang will become famous soon enough

I hear the american autowire harness is fantastics, but i have not tried it yet. The Ron Francis harness is very straightforward and i have used it twice. However, i hear the american autowire is better.
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Lost in the 60's

1968 GT 500 Super Snake
12.6 @ 114.3

MustangOne has a spectacular aura aboutMustangOne has a spectacular aura aboutMustangOne has a spectacular aura about

I don't know, It still looks like a mass of wires I guess if you know GM wiring colors you would know were it goes. Were do you put that big ass fuse box ???

Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Regular

1967 Mustang Coupe

Yeah, M1 what of the underdash do you repair? You buy new headlight and taillight sections... I just want something that I can do myself in the garage and have it last. Im not an electrician but this is one of the last major things holding my mustang back.
Edelbrock 650cfm 4v Carb
Hooker Headers
Flowmaster Exhasut
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:14 AM   #6
Lost in the 60's

1968 GT 500 Super Snake
12.6 @ 114.3

The main thing is look at the wires and connectors .

I sodded & heat shrink any bad spots and clean the wires with lacquer thinner.

Re tape if needed
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Regular

'68 Fastback GTA Restomod

BOLDT is on a distinguished road

there is nowhere good to put the big ass fuse box, the fellas that wired my car blocked off the drivers side big round cowl vent to place it. I'm not super happy about that but, but according to them American Autowire is the way to go, they used a standard kit and cut the wires to fit.
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #8

Karatecarrot is on a distinguished road

Yes it still is a whole lot of wires but everything is labled every couple of inches with excactly what it is. The kit was easy enough for me and my dad to put in over a couple of days with no prior knowledge of wiring. It does not provide for the original alternator as it is an "update kit" it provides for a one wire alternator. it has provisions for power windows and power locks integrated in the harness. The fuse block I placed right where the original was and just had to drill acouple of new holes for mounting. I definately recommend the auto wire kit.
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Regular

1967 Mustang Coupe

Ordered the american autowire kit last night. I will let you all know how it goes, thanks for your input I really do appreciate it.
Edelbrock 650cfm 4v Carb
Hooker Headers
Flowmaster Exhasut
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #10

ultrafast is on a distinguished road

I used the American Autowire harnes. Loved it. You need to break down an order the crimper from them! I really only used the smaller one. They will rent it also. This harness is especially good if you are running options. I ran electric fuel pump, auto meter gauges, fog lamps, power convertible top, electric fans, there are circuits for all. It is a bit confusing at first. the tech guys were really helpful. Just remember NOT to open anything untill you need it. It is very easy to lose parts.
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Regular

1967 Mustang Coupe

Just got the harness in yesterday. Didnt even unbox it yet... Ill be sure to post back on how it goes. Thanks guys
Edelbrock 650cfm 4v Carb
Hooker Headers
Flowmaster Exhasut
Old January 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Lost in the 60's

1968 GT 500 Super Snake
12.6 @ 114.3

Please take photos of you unboxing it, I would like to see what you get and how the connectors look.

I would like to see if it ready to go or do you have to make up all the ends.
Old January 19th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #13
Lost in the 60's

1968 GT 500 Super Snake
12.6 @ 114.3

Please take photos of you unboxing it, I would like to see what you get and how the connectors look.

I would like to see if it ready to go or do you have to make up all the ends.
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #14

ultrafast is on a distinguished road

You have to make up one end of everything. All is made up when it leaves the fuse box.
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #15
Lost in the 60's

1968 GT 500 Super Snake
12.6 @ 114.3

That is what I don't Like.

That means this photo they use is very miss leading.

90% of all problems comes from people making there own ends up.

I would like to to see photos of what you received please.
Old October 8th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #16

jokerboy is on a distinguished road

I just got the AAW harness for my '67. After stripping out the old wires I went to install the new wiring and ran into that "Big Ass" fuse block. Where they sort of indicate it should mount appears to be where the gas pedal is and since I need the gas pedal....I don't know what to do. I see several people have installed this kit. HOW????? Would you post pictures of where you mounted this "Big Ass" fuse block, please.

Thanks,
JB
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #17
Lost in the 60's

1968 GT 500 Super Snake
12.6 @ 114.3

I hope you was careful with your old under dash wiring harness when removing it. It is still your best bet.

I get this question all the time.

The Factory wiring is still a lot better.

This is how I repair my under dash wiring. This is a 1967 non tach set up.

This car came to me after the customer work 3 weeks on one of those great American Autowire wire loom kits.

The American Autowire wire loom kits is "NOT" Plug and Play.

These are some before photos of what I found.

It was kind funny how he was telling that he didn't see how he was going to mount his accel pedal.

You have to find a spot for this big ass fuse box.

This is what it look like after I removed the aftermarket wiring. The kit look to have hope on some of the things.
But the problem is where they want you to reuse some of your connectors from the old wiring.
The next photo you will see how not to connect wires. these pull apart with no effort.

The real work was fixing the real nice factory under dash wiring he cut
up to use that Painless wiring type set up.
Here is what I had to work with.

The main thing is solder all connection and use heat shrink.

This is what it should look like before it is taped up.

I clean all wire and connector with lacquer thinner, and then lube the plug with some WD-40.

here is what it looks like all fixed ready to install.

Last edited by MustangOne; October 10th, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #18
Regular

mustanggarage is on a distinguished road

I just finished installing the AAW wiring harness. no it is not plug and play, but it is not that hard either. the good thing about it is that it comes with all of the switches you need such as the ignition, light and dimmer switch. all new so in my case I wanted all new wiring so it was cost effectice. secondly that fuse box mounts above and to the right of the accelerator pedal. if you look closely at the template it is not in the way of the pedal. the other good thing about it is that the headlights and horn are pre wired to use relays for increased safety. it also comes pre setup for hei ignition, aftermarket stereo, power windows, electric fan, electric fuel pump. etc. so there are many more circuits available without having to splice into your old wiring harness. the way they recommend making the end connections takes a lot of the guess work out of us amateurs doing the work as well. none of the connectors have the plastic cover on the crimp connectors so you can see if you got a good crimp. then you can solder and shrink wrap them like I did and it gives a pretty good connection.

overall I thought it was a pretty good setup. and the instructions are pretty detailed. it is a lot to take in when you first look at it all but once you break it down into smaller bites it is manageable.

personally I am happy knowing that all of my wiring is new, all the connections were made and tested by me. I know where all the wires are routed, and I have all the instructions saved in the original box as well as in a pdf file on my computer so if I have problems down the road I can look it up and sort it out as I did when I installed it. I hate wiring and sorting out 40 year old wiring is an exercise I do not care to repeat, been there done that don't want to do it again.

btw in my 65 I used all stock replacement harnesses and while I did not have to make the connections I did not find it much easier to replace than using this wiring harness. for someone like mustang one who has done it a million times maybe it is easier, but for me it was not. and I am much happier with the appearance and routing on my 67 than I am on my 65

as always this is just my opinion as a person who is trained only as a diyer. my job is totally unrelated in anyway to auto repair.
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #19
Lost in the 60's

1968 GT 500 Super Snake
12.6 @ 114.3

If you use the AAW set up. Always solder and heat shrink the connections.

Anytime I have to fix anyones wiring I always go to were some one has been.

The nice thing about Factory wiring anyone can go behind you 10 years from now and know what it is and what to do with it.

Also the last 1967 Fastback I did it had electric fuel pump and power window and nice stereo with electric fan and use all factory connections no splicing. The factory wiring has place for extra accessories.

Last edited by MustangOne; October 12th, 2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #20
April 2010 ROTM

1967 Fastback

67svtstang will become famous soon enough

Im a little surprised at how much of that wiring is unfinished. I did not really see it in the AAW picture until i enlarged it. What a PITA, but with custom vehicles, its hard to provide every connector already installed.

Id like to retract my previous statement now that I have installed two of the Ron Francis systems. They work fine and they are nice, but it takes forever to install all of the wiring since you have to wire it at the fuse box and at the other end to whatever you may be connecting that particular wire to.

I will say that wiring is not fun in general, no matter what way you slice it. I spent 6 hours last night re-wiring the headlamps, fog lamps, turn signals and parking lamps, and alternator. Oh, and i didnt finish. If you do it right and run the wires neatly, it is really time consuming. However, the alternative is a birds nest with connectors that pop loose, so....might as well spend the time up front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 67 Mustang Wiring Harness
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shaker 500 Wiring Harness for 2006 Mustang Redfire66 Audio/Video 13 June 9th, 2010 02:06 AM
I need help with wiring a 84 mustang gt turbo harness into a 89 mustng lx Jace 2.3 Mustangs 3 February 15th, 2008 03:52 AM
Mustang wiring harness novamastr 5.0 Mustangs 4 August 31st, 2007 06:07 PM
89 MUSTANG LX WIRING HARNESS PROBLEMS liloutlawgirl00 Audio/Video 1 May 27th, 2007 09:14 AM