Replacing frame rails
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Classic Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #1

1968 Coupe

Jrfuel is on a distinguished road

Replacing frame rails

Finally got the Mustang in the arage and started removing all interior and front end. Have the parts to start getting rid of the rust. There is allot of that.

My question to the knowing herd here is what is the best place to get the car level? Tops of the old frame rails? I am replacing both front and rear rails.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have my opinions but want to hear from those that have done it......
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

460brevill will become famous soon enough460brevill will become famous soon enough

do it on level concreat.put the car on 4 jackstands.measure from floor to back and front of framerail.do the same side to side,replace one at a time.
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Because SBF

1969 Mustang Mach 1
6.12@112

69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of

I agree, but you really have to make sure you have a truly level spot to do it, and it's very tough, because most concrete is not level.
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #4

1968 Coupe

Concrete is going to be used only to hold the weight of the car. What I am goin to use for level is the car itslef. I intend to build some jackstands that have an all-thread rod and a platform to rest the car on. This will be the point of reference for all measurements. Concrete is not something I want to reference to when trying to egt the car within 1/16" square.

Basically I will elevate the car with the adjustable jack stands to get off the uneven concrete surface. A level and plumb bob will be used to get the car in square.

What point on the car do I focus on to get level? The trunk area has a floor on it that would be good to get side to side level. What about the bottom door runners to get front to back level? Is these area going to get me where I need to replace the frame rails?
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

460brevill will become famous soon enough460brevill will become famous soon enough

as long as the rocker panels are straight you can use them side to side and front to back.
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #6

1968 Coupe

Thanks 460brevil. I was hoping that I could use that area to get the car level. I don't trust the garage floor to be level at all (which it isn't). I will set the car up on my make shift jackstands, then reference eveything with a level. I intend to do the front ones first, then do the back. while I am installing the back ones I am going to move them in a couple of inche to gain rear tire clearance. I have a 9" housing that I will cut down as well. Of course all the suspension brackets will have to be modified as well.
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

you can buy modified tub kits that are ready to go on.just tee them what width you want.
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #8

1968 Coupe

That is even better!! I was thinking of splitting some OEM and welding a piece in to give more room. Anyone know what the flange to flange width is on a 9" Mustang rear is? The car has a rear in it and it was originally equipped with a 289. Would this width work when I swap in the 9"? I am going to install the Heidt IFS, what about a rear end assy.? I was looking at the heidt IRS but I don't think it will go over well here. What I want to do is take out the old Mustang ride of handling and body roll and put in a modern suspension, that handles better but doesen't ride like a stagecoach. I will be installing power 4 wheel disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering. I would like to put 275 or 255 on the back and 245 or 235 up front.

Who sells the best tub kit? I have been dealing with CJ Pony parts allot here lately.

Keith
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

i love cjpony.if they dont here from me every month i think they send out a search party.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Replacing frame rails
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new fuel rails zerofx150 99 - 04 3 February 8th, 2008 08:36 PM
frame rails pettydvm Classic Mustangs 3 January 23rd, 2008 08:32 AM
Fuel Rails shurb125 5.0 Mustangs 15 December 30th, 2007 03:24 PM
Fuel Rails Euroeater95 94-95 9 August 31st, 2007 03:10 PM
Help! Fuel Rails Skullman General Tech 0 September 24th, 2006 08:09 PM