Modded Mustang Forums banner

8.8' Rear end vs. 9" rear end

31K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Countryboy_99 
#1 ·
I'm looking to change out my 8" rear end in the next couple of months. I've heard that the Ford 9" rear end is one of the most durable rear ends ever made. I'm looking to run a 3.73 gear, and wanted to know if there was any benefit to going to an 8.8" rear end......beside the fact that they are more plentiful.

Also, are there any modifications needed if I swapped my 8" for either the 9" or the 8.8" rear end.

Thanks,

Jeff

#2 ·
Why do you want to get rid of the 8"? I wouldn't change it unless you are making alot of horsepower. I know first hand those 8" rear ends will handle a good amount of power in stock form. Are you sure its an 8"? They are very similar to a 9" too with a drop out center section.

#7 ·
Versailles rear ends are nice if you can find them, 9" with disc brakes. I picked mine up in the salvage yard for $125 ready to bolt in. It came with a Trac Loc too! 67-70 Mustang rear ends are all interchangeable. If you happen to have any of those years its worth knowing. 65-73 Bronco rear ends are the same width as a versailles rear but take more to get bolted under a Mustang.

#17 ·
600 is a lot, is this a good figure?

#12 ·
I saw a nine inch broke once, it was shattered in the back. It was a 65 fastback with what I was told original 289 dbl 4 barrel carbs on racing slicks.

#14 ·
The 9 inch is one of the best rear ends ever made. It is the basis for most racing rear ends used today. If you get one for your car it will bolt right in without any modifications for the most part. As long as you get a basic one for your car there are no mods.

#15 ·
Waay old, but how does the cost and availability of the 8" compare to the 9"?

I imagine 9" are getting hard to get cheap in the yards.

#16 ·
Why didn't you just make new thread to ask that?

Old Mustang 8" are a lot more plentiful that a old Mustang 9"

The 8" came in everything with a 289 or 302 in it. Witch most of all of them had.

The 9" came in only high performance Mustangs with 351 or bigger.

8" not rebuilt is $250, 9" not rebuilt is $350 to $450 when you can find them.

you can find 9" in trucks and bigger old 70's cars but they are about 2" wider.

#18 ·
I have a 9" from a Lincoln in my mustang, I did it for the disc brakes and the posi rear end. If I had to do it over again I would stick to the 8" because on a light car like the Mustang if your not pushing out a lot of hp it seems to be too much un-sprung weight and the car does not handle as nimble

#20 ·
What years did the late models use an 8.8 rear, or are they still using them, and what are they rated for in HP and TQ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.