How long should a netgear wireless router last?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > General Forum > The Clubhouse

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

C MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to C MY 4D

How long should a netgear wireless router last?

In the last 4 years I have went thru two wireless routers. One was a linksys and now the netgear has took a dump. What can I do to make them last longer?

TT Build in progress.......

Need work done to your car for a great price in Hampton Roads? Shoot me a PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #2
meh

========

Notcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Notcho

Never had that problem. They should last as long as any other electronic device.. computer, printer, cable modem, etc.

As long as you don't have other issues.. like intermittent fluctuating power...

Maybe you have just randomly bought 2 defective ones.. have you had issues with other stuff burning out?

'87 2.3 Notch with +4 cylinder mod

Gas, Grass, or Ass.. nobody rides for free
Black Stang Crew Member #11

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

C MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have any problems that I am aware of.

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #4
BWAL Is My Hero

1986 Mustang GT Vert!
TBD

JakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant future

Also, make sure you not stacking things on top of them. You can use some sort of forced, dry air, to blow dust and dirt out of them as well. Just make sure its dry if your using a standard air compressor or something. Also, you may want to look into something that costs a little more than the standard linksys and netgear boxes. I reccomend newegg.com . Something in the $75-$100 range such as the one below.

Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router - Wireless Routers

*My YouTube channel*
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

I have the cable modem and router stacked.....

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

Well anyways if I'm not around for a few days, my neighbor must of have found out I'm stealin his internets.

Old February 5th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #7
wac

2005 Mustang GT

wac is on a distinguished road

It does seem a little odd, I'm still rocking the same 802.11g linksys I picked up when I got married 4 (..? 5? ..counts on fingers.. yeah 4) years ago, but it's not uncommon. Personally I'd rock a linksys or netgear over a d-link, but that might just come down to personal preference.
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #8
wac

2005 Mustang GT

wac is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Towelly View Post
I reccomend newegg.com .
oh, but hellzyeah, newegg FTW
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #9
meh

========

Notcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to behold

I like linksys.. but that's because I've been using mine non stop ever since 2002.. (regular 4 port wired router)

It's all the same though.. all chinese. It's a crap shoot. Sometimes you get one that lasts longer than you need it to. Sometimes it craps out.

Old February 6th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #10
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt

'94 GT Vert
Haven't Tried A Vagina Yet

98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to 98FireyGT!

I've been using my Linksys for a pretty long time, I think since 03 or 04...it acts up sometimes but usually after resetting it it'll be fine...

MM BRONY CLUB
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #11
meh

========

Originally Posted by 98FireyGT View Post
I've been using my Linksys for a pretty long time, I think since 03 or 04...it acts up sometimes but usually after resetting it it'll be fine...
I reset mine a few times too.. it mostly reset itself during power outages. But one time my ISP was feeling generous and permanently boosted everyones download speed from 3mbps to 7mbps for no extra charge, which required a reboot of everything..

I moved it into a different room once, and back again, but other than that, it kept working for all those years.

Old February 6th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #12
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt

'94 GT Vert
Haven't Tried A Vagina Yet

98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold98FireyGT! is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to 98FireyGT!

I wish my ISP would do that...I only have a 1.5mbps connection which gets smacked down to 256kbps if I'm on uTorrent for too long. I think they have something against P2P.

MM BRONY CLUB
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #13
Damage Control

Dennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant future

yea my linksys has been on 24-7 365 for 6 years now

Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
I can shit a human sized target at 15 feet
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #14
The George Forman of Keepers

JASonic is a name known to allJASonic is a name known to allJASonic is a name known to allJASonic is a name known to allJASonic is a name known to allJASonic is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to JASonic

IMPORTANT!
I bought a Linksys 5 years back. About 2 years ago it died. I called Linksys customer support because I didnt think it was dead, I thought maybe it was just acting up and I wanted to find out. Keep in mind when I called them, it was 3 years old. So the customer service guy tells me "no worries, its fried. I'm sending you a new one in the mail. Please use the shipping label inside to send us the old one back". I was shocked!

No arguments or anything. I didnt even want a new one. I just wanted to see what was wrong with it before I went to Best Buy to get a new one. I will never buy anything but Linksys for that reason.
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #15
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

Go figure, I just went out to buy a new dlink and now the netgear is working again.... I'm lost.

Old February 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #16
Damage Control

Dennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant future

linksys is the only way to go. cisco FTMFW

Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
I can shit a human sized target at 15 feet
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #17
Bearer of Bad News

2012 FJ Cruiser
I smell terrific.

Fluffy The Rhino has much to be proud ofFluffy The Rhino has much to be proud ofFluffy The Rhino has much to be proud ofFluffy The Rhino has much to be proud ofFluffy The Rhino has much to be proud ofFluffy The Rhino has much to be proud ofFluffy The Rhino has much to be proud ofFluffy The Rhino has much to be proud ofFluffy The Rhino has much to be proud of

They burn out often enough. Well, not burn out. They pretty much start working incorrectly after a few years. Dust is part of the problem, heat is another. They just aren't built to last.

EVERY FART IS A GAMBLE

Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i save my fast food napkins strictly for the purpose of fapping on them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: How long should a netgear wireless router last?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody know how to open ports on a Netgear router? 06RedfireGT The Clubhouse 50 April 13th, 2008 11:03 AM
Help me with my router setting 06RedfireGT The Clubhouse 4 January 29th, 2008 12:09 AM
xbox wireless router mattstang The Clubhouse 3 January 27th, 2008 06:35 PM