PSA: Do not buy ultima alternators
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > General Forum > The Clubhouse

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:50 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
:)

01 GT

Imran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud of

PSA: Do not buy ultima alternators

I know this shouldn't be posted in the clubhouse, but I want to help you all save your precious time by exposing as many members to this as I possibly can. I have gone through 3 ultima alternators in the past year. The last one I got 2 days ago lasted only one day, and the one before that lasted 2 months. I have read many threads throughout many different forums for different cars, and all have had bad experiences with this remanufactured POS.

Pay more for an OEM alternator, don't let the lifetime warranty fool you. Yes, O'reillys does honor the warranty, and you will definitely be using it if a LOT if you get the ultima. They are huge pieces of shit.

That is all.

Old October 13th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #2
The Hammer

Millenium Falcon
"Lived the Dream, Created the Reality, Basking in my Awesomeness"

G.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond repute

you running anything besides what came in the car?

crazy head unit or subs?

i used to run 2/12's with an aftermarket deck and 1200 watt amp with no capacitor and it would kill my alternator every 10 months or so because i used the cheapo warrantied one...

ya can slap a warranty on a box of shit, it's still a box of shit

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I would eat the peanuts out of her shit

Car Salesman Club - The Hammer
ModdedMustangs Conspiracy Group: President
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 13th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #3
meh

========

Notcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Notcho

Reman? There's your problem.

I bought a new ultima through AutoZone (it had the lifetime warranty too) and it worked well in my 89... It went through a frontal wreck in that car, and ended up with a 1 sq inch hole in the side of it. It still spun fine, so I put it in my '87 notch when I did the 5.0 swap from the wrecked car, and its working fine still.. that was about 50k miles ago.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the one I have is pretty damn tough. It's been through hell.

----

On a sidenote, the reman ones aren't worth a damn, unless you have lots of time and patience to swap them out. When someone brings one back for a core, they send it to mexico, where they test them. They only replace the faulty component, nothing else. If it has a bad bearing, they put a new bearing and put it back on the shelf. Doesn't matter if it has 200k miles on it, they don't care, just as long as it works.

The regulator might be the next thing to fail (because its really an old unit), so if you take it back they will send it to mexico again, and (you guessed it) they will only replace the regulator, nothing else. And so on.

It's how they make money on the reman shit. It's kind of a roll of the dice, because once the faulty part is replaced, it might work flawlessly until the person sells the car, at which point the lifetime warranty is void. Then again, if it fails within the warranty, the store has to pay to replace it. But even so, what the hell? Send it back and give you another one. No real work on their behalf... you're the one who's stuck with changing the damn thing.

'87 2.3 Notch with +4 cylinder mod

Gas, Grass, or Ass.. nobody rides for free
Black Stang Crew Member #11

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #4
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond repute

Find a local alternator shop and they'll rebuild it for $50-100.
Old October 13th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #5
MM Fanatic

SVTfocus, F250

mxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nice

or just hit the junkyard for a new one...when i upgraded to 3g in my fox i just got one from a newer mustang for 35$ from the local junkyard, worked great the entire time i drove the car. with the upgraded stereo and all.

and the yard i got it from offers a 1 year warranty should it fail. like you said a warranty doesnt mean much if it craps out in 2 days, but i had no problems with the one i got. i would have went the same route with my truck if the alternator didnt shit out on a sunday when the yards were closed.
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #6

01 GT

Imran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G.T. Rags View Post

crazy head unit or subs?

i used to run 2/12's with an aftermarket deck and 1200 watt amp with no capacitor and it would kill my alternator every 10 months or so because i used the cheapo warrantied one...

Just a head unit, had subs and an an amp, took the subs and amp off and sold them.
Old October 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #7

01 GT

Well, here's the Fucking problem.

That's a Fucking fire hazard.
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #8
MM Fanatic

SVTfocus, F250

mxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nice

looks ship shape!!

Old October 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #9

01 GT

So I have 25% summit non piggyback underdrive pulleys, the water pump and the crank pulley, but the alternator pulley is not the 25% one, it's the stock alternator pulley. The 25% one is in my center console. Could this cause problems?
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #10
meh

========

Notcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Notcho

Originally Posted by Jakashh View Post
So I have 25% summit non piggyback underdrive pulleys, the water pump and the crank pulley, but the alternator pulley is not the 25% one, it's the stock alternator pulley. The 25% one is in my center console. Could this cause problems?
The underdrive crank pulley is smaller than stock, which means it turns everything slower than the stock crank pulley would. If you put a bigger than stock pulley on an accessory, that accessory will turn even slower yet.

With my underdrive pulleys, I had a smaller crank pulley and a bigger waterpump pulley. Everything else was stock. The alternator turned a little slow at idle, and it didn't charge as much as I liked it to (ideal is 14.2 volts) ...it charged at about 12.5-12.9 volts at idle. If you gassed it, it would charge better. With the stock pulleys, it charges around 14 volts all the time.

But yes, testing your alternator with an underdrive setup could trick you into thinking that your alternator is weak. The idiots at Autozone with their fancy tester won't understand that, and they'll tell you it's bad.

'87 2.3 Notch with +4 cylinder mod

Gas, Grass, or Ass.. nobody rides for free
Black Stang Crew Member #11

Old October 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Damage Control

Dennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant futureDennis has a brilliant future

yea i have never had a problem with the el cheapo refurb ultimas. sounds like its not the alternator its the owner

Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
I can shit a human sized target at 15 feet
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #12
Tini Tini Bo Bini

2007 GT
slower than a speeding bullet

Ace417 has much to be proud ofAce417 has much to be proud ofAce417 has much to be proud ofAce417 has much to be proud ofAce417 has much to be proud ofAce417 has much to be proud ofAce417 has much to be proud ofAce417 has much to be proud ofAce417 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G.T. Rags View Post

crazy head unit or subs?

Tommy boy. Nice

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
What am I, some kind of nipple whisperer?
Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
I can confirm this. More than once he's woken me up in the middle of the night, banging on my window, bare ass naked, yelling something about being chased by Donald Duck
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT

cale2006 has a spectacular aura aboutcale2006 has a spectacular aura aboutcale2006 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jakashh View Post
I know this shouldn't be posted in the clubhouse, but I want to help you all save your precious time by exposing as many members to this as I possibly can. I have gone through 3 ultima alternators in the past year. The last one I got 2 days ago lasted only one day, and the one before that lasted 2 months. I have read many threads throughout many different forums for different cars, and all have had bad experiences with this remanufactured POS.

Pay more for an OEM alternator, don't let the lifetime warranty fool you. Yes, O'reillys does honor the warranty, and you will definitely be using it if a LOT if you get the ultima. They are huge pieces of shit.

That is all.
Don't u just love shit parts that u have to return over and over

Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Why not? I think getting stroked and blown is the way to go. Those are my plans.
MM Military Crew
SSgt USAF

gamer tag carjax06
Old October 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #14

01 GT

Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
yea i have never had a problem with the el cheapo refurb ultimas. sounds like its not the alternator its the owner
aaaassssshoooollleeee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/236296-psa-do-not-buy-ultima-alternators.html
Posted By For Type Date
Who Makes Ultima Alternators at Askives This thread Refback February 17th, 2014 11:17 AM

Threads Similar to: PSA: Do not buy ultima alternators
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternators XectriK 99 - 04 3 August 23rd, 2011 02:41 PM
Alternators Foxmoto28 94-95 3 September 20th, 2010 12:09 PM
Alternators BadBlackGT 99 - 04 2 June 5th, 2010 03:21 PM
Cobra alternators going bad zolen 4V / SVT 17 May 30th, 2008 12:46 PM