I'm trying to sell my car on Craigslist....
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > General Forum > The Clubhouse

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Regular

1994 / 2001 Mustang GT

THE RY4N will become famous soon enough

I'm trying to sell my car on Craigslist....

Well about 4 hours ago i posted my 94 for sale on craigslist and now i have 13 emails already, my question is how do you deal with some of these "potential buyers" half the emails I've gotten leave me dumbfounded and I don't even know how to respond to them i'm not sure if i even want to deal with them but i also just want the car sold then I can forget about it what do you do when selling your car?

One guy has sent me 2 emails saying "I want ur mustang" and "I want to buyh ur car" yes those are exact quotes

Another guy who lives 20-25 minutes away wants to come see my car and its dark out there is not much to see so idk what hes thinking

And one email is from a guy on deployment who wants his father to buy the car???

Some advice would be hellpful at the moment I've always sold my cars to someone I know or parked it out in front of my house...

1994 Mustang GT Black-SOLD
2001 Mustang GT Electric Green
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2

2003 Grand Cherokee

03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed a lot of emails from Craigslist adds are simply to get you to respond (so they know it's an active email address) and then you get massive spam. I would say that if an email doesn't specifically talk about your car for sale, ignore it.

If is says something like, "I would like to come look at the item you're selling" or something else generic, then ignore it. Just read them and see if it sounds like something coming from someone legit or if it's too generic.

You can always arrange a meeting time when it's light outside.
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
T/C
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

T/C is on a distinguished road

I always respond to all the emails someone may be dumb but that means you can get more money out of them.

I also do not mind meeting people at night if it seems shady i bring extra guns.. I always have one on me anyways.

And I don't why you see a problem with someone having there dad buy a car for them while they are deployed people do it all the time
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:10 PM   #4

03 GT, 64 GMC

BA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant future

I wouldn't reply to the 2 with bad grammar or the one about the father buying the car. As for the guy that wants to see it, just tell him you can meet him one day when its light outside and see what he says.

I used Ebay to help sell my 67.

Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
I'm a fucking idiot. I'll do it with my sister.
64 GMC build
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:13 PM   #5
T/C
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

T/C is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BA Mustang View Post
I wouldn't reply to the 2 with bad grammar or the one about the father buying the car. As for the guy that wants to see it, just tell him you can meet him one day when its light outside and see what he says.

I used Ebay to help sell my 67.
Why not with the father? People buy cars while deployed all the time i would rather sell to someone serving to help them out anyways
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Regular

1994 / 2001 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by T/C View Post
Why not with the father? People buy cars while deployed all the time i would rather sell to someone serving to help them out anyways
I just thought it was weird I would never tell someone else to go spend my hard earned money on something I have never seen in person.

I hate how after i respond to one email i have 5 new ones waiting for me because everyone has it linked to their phones and they treat it like texting I'm glad i didn't post my phone number or I'd really be going crazy I hate answering the phone from people I know let alone a dozen random people at 9:00 at night.

2001 Mazda Protege MP3
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:38 PM   #7

03 GT, 64 GMC

BA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant futureBA Mustang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by T/C View Post
Its usually BS

Saying you are a soldier is one of the newest scams on craigslist.

I had one person want to buy it for their father, but they were an oceanographer and couldn't see it. Then they tell me they want to pay by paypal because they have no access to phones, yet they have internet. So I never replied.

If they are serious about it, they would send another email in a couple days. Thats what I do to show I'm not a scammer.

64 GMC build
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:48 PM   #8
MM's Official Troll

1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed
Wrecked, but not forgotten.

StangWagon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Your best bet is to list your phone number as the only way to contact you, only people that are serious about buying your car will make the effort and give you a proper phone call. Just my 2 cents....

FS: 94-04 Mustang Parts! http://bit.ly/LAzDrl
Originally Posted by graystang01 View Post
Needs more low
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
I find the fastest way to lunch is to microwave a poptart.
Seriously. I don't have the time to sit around waiting for the toaster to do its thing.
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:51 PM   #9

03 GT, 64 GMC

Originally Posted by StangWagon View Post
Your best bet is to list your phone number as the only way to contact you, only people that are serious about buying your car will make the effort and give you a proper phone call. Just my 2 cents....
If you do this I recommend the numbers and words format. Helps keep the spammers away.

Ex. 2five6-threesix9-....

64 GMC build
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:02 PM   #10
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

Cabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud of

I've shown my wrx at night, twice.

I've actually sold my wrx to a kid who never seen the car in person. Emailed for a few days them texted. I told him everything about the car I detail. Told him to get two cashier checks. (one for payoff amount and one for my profit)

He sent pic of the checks and we made a time to meet. I drie 1.5 hours he drove 45 minutes to the dealership I got it from. Checked the car out drive it. Then we walked into the dealer, paid off the loan. Gave him copy of receipt showing paid off. Wrote a bill of sale until the title was sent out to me. Once it came I mailed it to the new owner. Win win.
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:22 PM   #11
Regular

1994 / 2001 Mustang GT

Well now after a few email this kid told me hes on vacation and he wants his brother to look at the car for him.

I also have 4 different Joe's email me too kinda hard to keep track of but I have 3-5 people coming to look at it tomorrow so hopefully it won't last too long and I can finally lower and get new wheels for my 01.

2001 Mazda Protege MP3
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

mustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nice

I had 3 different scammers email me, when I was selling mine. Two being oceanographers and another being an arielographer (what he said lol). Said they either wanted it for their father or their son. All had the same story about not being able to see it, wanted to pay a grand more than what I was asking and wanted my paypal and said he would get his agent to come out there.
Never replied to them after the first on, they are scammers
04 N/A Terminator swap,T56,O/R X pipe, Borla Stingers,Tubular front suspension,Coilovers,Koni Shocks/Struts,MM Subframe Connectors,Steeda front/rear sway bar,MGW short throw shifter,staggered Cobra wheels,Cobra front/rear bumpers,S281 Wing,300rwhp
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:39 PM   #13
Regular

1994 / 2001 Mustang GT

No oceanographers yet lol but one guy wants to buy it for his sons graduation which I thought was cool he is coming to look at it tomorrow morning.

Not sure how I would feel getting a surprise car though you would feel obligated to keep it whether you liked it or not.

2001 Mazda Protege MP3
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:56 PM   #14

03 GT, 64 GMC

Originally Posted by mustangmaniac95 View Post
I had 3 different scammers email me, when I was selling mine. Two being oceanographers and another being an arielographer (what he said lol). Said they either wanted it for their father or their son. All had the same story about not being able to see it, wanted to pay a grand more than what I was asking and wanted my paypal and said he would get his agent to come out there.
Never replied to them after the first on, they are scammers
This is mine

Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this Vehicle as a Birthday gift for my Dad? as I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm an Oceanographer and i am presently on a contract which will end in couple of months,the contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area,but I'm able to access my mail through my laptop and my only quickest payment option is PayPal,its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the pay pal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount.
If you don't have an account with paypal,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to www.paypal.com and sign up.I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? as my Dad's birthday is fast approaching,am sure he will love this vehicle,his a mechanic and a handy man,so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it.
I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks.

Vivian.

64 GMC build
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Banned

gravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BA Mustang View Post
This is mine
Got something very similar when I was trying to sell my BMW.
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:40 AM   #16
101FNG IS MY MASTER! I LOVE HIM 4EVER!

85 GT, 87 LX

thrasher! is a name known to allthrasher! is a name known to allthrasher! is a name known to allthrasher! is a name known to allthrasher! is a name known to allthrasher! is a name known to all

Most are spam. I always say no emails or calls. Will only reply to text. Then if they seem legit I'll call them.

Sent from not home.

Originally Posted by MeMz View Post
thrashersonmomma09 has proverbs as great as buddha.
Originally Posted by 101fng View Post
lol, i had some random old guy tug on my rear end for me.
Originally Posted by Kohrs93 View Post
You, sir, just got THRASHED!
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:43 AM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

mustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nice

Wow, I put some xbox games on craigslist and just got another one of these
Thanks for the response. I am willing to pay your asking price. I am paying with Money Order /Check and I would like to send payment directly to you the above mentioned. You should receive payment within the coming ( 2-3 days ). As per pick-up,I have a reputable shipping company and i will make arrangement with the manager of my shipping moving company to come for pick-up after payment has been received by you and cashed out. The payment will be sent via FedEx Mail and a FedEx tracking number will be provided to you. I don't mind offering you an extra $30 so that you can tell other buyers the item is no more available. My assistant will mail out the payment to you once i have the details below from you :

FULL NAME ( Name to issue the payment to. )
HOME OR OFFICE Address ( No P.O Box Address Please )
CITY,
STATE,
ZIP-CODE/POSTAL CODE,
PHONE NUMBERS.
Immediately i have these above information from you i will have it handled to my assistant so that he can proceed on sending out the payment to you today. I would really appreciate if you take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me. .We'll proceed on the shipment once the payment is delivered to you by the FedEx Mail man.
Thanks for your understanding and i will really like doing business with you......
Warm Regards.
04 N/A Terminator swap,T56,O/R X pipe, Borla Stingers,Tubular front suspension,Coilovers,Koni Shocks/Struts,MM Subframe Connectors,Steeda front/rear sway bar,MGW short throw shifter,staggered Cobra wheels,Cobra front/rear bumpers,S281 Wing,300rwhp
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:45 AM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

I told him, thanks for trying.
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM   #19
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Triple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant future

In my Craigslist ads I always include "Don't ask if it's still for sale. If you see this ad, it is. Change subject line to 'Something specific'."

If they don't follow the rules, I don't respond.
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM   #20
Regular

2000 mustang 3.8 v6

Minottis is on a distinguished road

The kid with a dad deployed is a scam. If you reply to it you'll receive about ten more ranging from nuclear physicists in the navy to pilots who will PayPal you the money. It's all a scam.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: I'm trying to sell my car on Craigslist....
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
craigslist ad almighty396 The Clubhouse 16 January 8th, 2011 09:38 AM
Craigslist? rovelli92 The Clubhouse 2 September 5th, 2010 04:02 PM
Anyone Own This Craigslist Car KV007 99 - 04 20 September 4th, 2010 10:32 AM
craigslist 400$ LX sickfox 5.0 Mustangs 9 June 17th, 2009 02:18 PM
Another craigslist car? 89FIVEpoint0lx 5.0 Mustangs 5 June 17th, 2009 11:05 AM