hood height? va law
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > General Forum > The Clubhouse

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:35 AM   #1
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2000 mustang gt

00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice
Send a message via Yahoo to 00redgt

hood height? va law

so the story is i got pulled over for my 3inch cowl hood.the trooper said it was illegal.he said the scoop was to big.
now my ? is since it is a cowl hood is it consider a 1 piece hood or a hood with a scoop.and does anybody know what the law is in va for a hood height is.he also said if i get caught again on the road with the hood i would be red tagged till it is removed .

i didnt get a ticket for it since it was my first time but i did get it for .04% tint and a warning on my vht taillights , front tint strip,exhaust,and my seat belt being twisted lol which i thought was stupid

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Fear The Rain... Butt...?

2008 Shelby GT500

Rainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant futureRainbow has a brilliant future

Normally I side with the cops on 99% of posts on here about them but that sounds like some stupid shit.

Check out my build thread!
Originally Posted by Fluffy The Rhino View Post
My Mustang is louder than 3 semi trucks. Making love.
Originally Posted by southfour! View Post
Rainbow made him gay?

Wouldn't be the first time.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Wanna be show worthy.

2004 Mustang GT
N/A

B's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud of

Re: hood height? va law

I have to agree with rainblow sounds like he was just having a bad day...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Mods: -Eibach Pro Kit - K&N - Tuned for 91 octane - SLP - Visual Shit-

i love Uranus
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:07 AM   #4
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

2000 Mustang V6 Vert
16.41@87

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY is just really niceExPeNsIvE HoBbY is just really niceExPeNsIvE HoBbY is just really niceExPeNsIvE HoBbY is just really nice

hood height? va law

2000 cobra r had a 3" cowl didnt it? That's an OEM, dot, and CA highway patrol vehicle code approved piece, and CA has some of the shittiest laws on the books. I'd go to court and fight it because a next offense after a fix it CAN be a tow and impound...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
1/4 mile? Well maybe.

xXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud of

I'm almost 100% certain your are not breaking any laws. I think in some states they are ticket able for, Obstruction of view if they are higher then 3'. Never had I problem with mine.

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
0-60mph 0.5 sec. And we have liftoff!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:15 AM   #6
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang
11.47@130

Froush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud of

Im in va and havent ever had a problem. but im not registered here. I have a 3.5" cowl and sometime soon ill have another 3-4" of engine parts hanging out of it. The vht'd tailights and exhaust technically are illegal here though. The seatbelt and tint strip is fucking stupid though
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html

Laser Red Crew #3
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Bangarang will become famous soon enoughBangarang will become famous soon enough

I've been in VA my entire life. From my experience you were either driving like a retard, or you have so much tint you look like a god damn drug dealer, and when the dude found out you weren't holding he got pissed and wrote you up for everything.

Get legal spec tint, remove the windshield banner tint and redo your tail lights so they are about 25%(show some red). I'd say go for %35 tint all around like i have even thought the VA laws are 50% front 35% back but they are already on the hunt for you.

I KNOW you mentioned hood but I think he was making that shit up. All my buddies around here only get pulled for speeding, tint, and expired tags.

1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Classic - New modder
2000 Mustang GT - SOLD (I will have another one day)
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

RedFire Venom is a jewel in the roughRedFire Venom is a jewel in the roughRedFire Venom is a jewel in the roughRedFire Venom is a jewel in the rough

Cops hate tint. Like said above, redo your tint to 35 (20 might even suffice) but make sure your taillights show red from 100 ft. The hood sounds like some major BS, but call the station and ask them. They're always very nice about helping you understand what you got ticketed for and how to prevent it, just don't be a jackass to them.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM   #9
2012FFW TrueStreet Champ!

2001 Mustang GT
8.12 @87mph

cruisemissile is on a distinguished road

Im not sure about now, but the hood height law used to be anything higher than 1-1/4" from where the bottom of the windshield meets the cowl is illegal. I got pulled over once in my 69 Camaro by a new VA state trooper and he tried to ticket me for the oem cowl induction hood. Luckily a friend of mine who was a town cop pulled in and explained to him that it was a factory hood and that he couldn't ticket me for it. I have the upmost respect for law enforcment officers, I have many friends who are in law enforcment but 99% of every VA trooper I've ever met has been a prick to me. Ive gotten pulled over every single time I've went into VA. And no, i don't drive like an idiot, I've never been cited for a moving violation, it's always been things like window tint, car height, exhaust, things that are perfectly legal in my state of TN . I actually got a loud exhaust ticket in my 89 GT with a gutted oem H-pipe and the FACTORY mufflers! I went to court to fight that one and when i told the judge my car had the factory mufflers on it he said " well it's the officer's opinion that it's too loud, so it is. Guilty!" "Now go pay the $150.00 fine sir."
Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:30 PM   #10

2000 mustang gt

00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice

well ill prob just take the side tint off and remove the front tint strip.and im going to take a pic to the station and show them the hood and see what they say.i also read that a cowl hood cant to over 2 1/2 inches and it depends on your towns regalations and i was driving 35mph in a 40 so i know he didnt try for speeding .and my tint was .04%...i think he was just having a bad day and decided to try and anal me or something.imo my hood is not that big
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:30 PM   #11
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang
11.47@130

Froush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud of

Thats looks bigger than a 3" cowl. lol. Id say it looks like my old 4"

Laser Red Crew #3
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #12

2000 mustang gt

its a 3 inch high rise from abc,maybe it is more that 3,hell i dunno lol
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM   #13
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang
11.47@130

Mine currently is a 3.5". That looks a lot like my old 4" ho fibertrends that i sold

Laser Red Crew #3
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Bangarang will become famous soon enoughBangarang will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 00redgt;5158580[IMG
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/bigtinybob/0413121903a.jpg[/IMG]
Paint it so it looks less aftermarket? Then them them it's straight from the factory OEM with the sleeper mach 1 body kit (shaker hood is redirected through the a/c vents) but you had the dealership remove the flux capacitor so you'd be less tempted to take it to 88mph plus gas is too expensive to get 1.21 gigawatts these days anyways.

1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Classic - New modder
2000 Mustang GT - SOLD (I will have another one day)
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Black Betty

2002 Camaro SS

MeMz is a jewel in the roughMeMz is a jewel in the roughMeMz is a jewel in the rough

This has been discussed on here before. In "certain" states it is illegal to have an aftermarket cowl hood.

Different states have different height laws.
2002 Camaro SS #171
2002 Camaro SS #6157 R.I.P 11/21/12
1997 Mustang GT Sold
MM+Cleavage Club Member #9
Originally Posted by G.T. Rags View Post
i'm like fucking herpes, you ain't ever getting rid of me
Originally Posted by HighDensity View Post
I'm so cheap I could suck Lincoln off of a penny beechez.
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
LSx FTW!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #16

2000 mustang gt

fuck it,i like the look of it,but im not going to get pulled over everytime i get the car out.ill just put my factory one back on it.i aint got the time to deal with the police and money for the tickets ,its a small town so ill be a eye catcher.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:16 PM   #17
MM Fanatic

2007 Ford Panty Dropper

kmac1622 is a jewel in the roughkmac1622 is a jewel in the roughkmac1622 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cruisemissile View Post
Im not sure about now, but the hood height law used to be anything higher than 1-1/4" from where the bottom of the windshield meets the cowl is illegal. I got pulled over once in my 69 Camaro by a new VA state trooper and he tried to ticket me for the oem cowl induction hood. Luckily a friend of mine who was a town cop pulled in and explained to him that it was a factory hood and that he couldn't ticket me for it. I have the upmost respect for law enforcment officers, I have many friends who are in law enforcment but 99% of every VA trooper I've ever met has been a prick to me. Ive gotten pulled over every single time I've went into VA. And no, i don't drive like an idiot, I've never been cited for a moving violation, it's always been things like window tint, car height, exhaust, things that are perfectly legal in my state of TN . I actually got a loud exhaust ticket in my 89 GT with a gutted oem H-pipe and the FACTORY mufflers! I went to court to fight that one and when i told the judge my car had the factory mufflers on it he said " well it's the officer's opinion that it's too loud, so it is. Guilty!" "Now go pay the $150.00 fine sir."
Something Like that happend when my dad got his fox inspected the guy doing the inspection said his exhaust was too loud. Owner of the shop comes by and says," Naah it aint to loud". I think Ive only been pulled over once for something that was illegal to my car and that was when I did the front GT500 Chin I took off my License plate, drove it the next day and since I drive into the garage I didnt see it. I love NH laws, no sniffer test for cars, literally if it drives, is safe, and has some kind of exhaust it passes, well atleast thats been my luck, and tint, thats the one thing NH doesnt allow, so few people have any tint on their cars that you stick out if you have any at all.
Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica Rims, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:24 PM   #18

2000 mustang gt

thats what i cant understand about here,i just went threw a road check back in November with the hood and tint,no problem,got sticker for it.no prob,now all the sudden i have a illegal hood,i dunno.crappy town i live in i guess
Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:54 AM   #19
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
Slower than your ability to post a question that can easily be found via search

GidEup is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the cop was having a bad day. I know your hood matches your wheels, but possibly consider painting it so it blends in more? Same with VHT. less dark = more better

The VA cops I've dealt with have been pretty relaxed and as long as you're not blatantly breaking a law they'll let you slide in my experience. (watch now I'll catch hell, damn you murphys law ) I had what was basically 3" straight un-muffled exhaust on the STI I had and only caught hell for it when I had a newer cop pull me over for my rear plate light being out. Even then he let it slide.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:05 AM   #20
August '13 ROTM Winner

2004 Mustang GT
I can spin both wheels!

Mach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 00redgt View Post
fuck it,i like the look of it,but im not going to get pulled over everytime i get the car out.ill just put my factory one back on it.i aint got the time to deal with the police and money for the tickets ,its a small town so ill be a eye catcher.
Reps for being smart. Most people would bitch about cops being assholes and then continue to ignore them and then come back bitchen when they get another ticket or worse. I applaud you for doing the right thing with minimum questions asked just to save your ass.

Originally Posted by Mach1dmb! View Post
Now everybody in the Kroger please
Put your motherfucking milk up and follow me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.