over 200,000 miles on an f150 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Austin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

over 200,000 miles on an f150

i have been looking around for a vehicle while i wait on insurance to decide who was at fault on the other two vehicles. i was trying to keep my budget low just incase they don't give me what the current asking price for my car is. i have been trying to look for a small 4wd/awd suv/car/truck but i really haven't seen anything i want around the $10k~$12k mark unless i drop the 4wd/awd option.

i have recently found two trucks that caught my eye but i am afraid of the mileage on the f150 which i think is more practical to me. the first is a Toyota dealer in the next bigger town has an 04 f250 super duty with 4x4. it has 170,000 miles on a 5.4l. looks clean and was a farmer's truck. they want $8990 for it. the other is a stock 06 f150stx king cab 4x4. they want $9990 for it but it has over 205,000 miles on it.

just wondering what you guys think? like what is the life of a 4.6 in a f150? i know that 5.4 is barely used compared to some of the old farm trucks i know where i grew up at but i haven't seen people really keep there 4.6l f150s past the 150,000 mile mark.

'00 v6: sold
'05 v6: tint and le mans strips on the way......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Bo Baustin

I've seen 4.6s in Lincoln towncars and crown vics with miles that would really surprise you.

But that's too much money for that F150 if you ask me.
post #3 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 11:28 AM
MM Fanatic

My only anecdote is a friend of mine who has an 06 F-150. He works construction so obviously it's had a tough life but that thing has had so many ridiculous, expensive problems that I can't believe he hasn't just dropped it off at a junkyard. I can't count how many times he's had to have coils replaced or part of his drivetrain repaired. But, that's only one example and it could just be an unlucky fluke. I just really am not down for 3V 4.6's in any vehicle.

Also, vehicles with over 200,000 miles that have asking prices over $5,000 blows my mind. But trucks are a silly, silly market.

I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs

post #4 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Fords are tougher than you think. 147xxx on my 98 GT.
post #5 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 01:35 PM
MM Fanatic

Can someone with more insight into the history of the 3V 4.6 claim whether they're truly inferior reliability-wise or if it's just my assumption that 4V > 3V and 2V have a nearly two decade record of dependability while the 3V was abandoned after five years and therefore I'm just biased?

post #6 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Bo Baustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
Can someone with more insight into the history of the 3V 4.6 claim whether they're truly inferior reliability-wise or if it's just my assumption that 4V > 3V and 2V have a nearly two decade record of dependability while the 3V was abandoned after five years and therefore I'm just biased?
The cam phasers are shit on the 3vs but it's not usually something that will kill an engine. I don't think they are any less reliable than the others.

I have seen so many 300k+ mile Town cars, it's not even funny.

I can't comment on them in the truck versions, the only 4.6 truck I have experience with was a 2v and it was sloooowwwwww.
post #7 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 02:15 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
The cam phasers are shit on the 3vs but it's not usually something that will kill an engine. I don't think they are any less reliable than the others.

I have seen so many 300k+ mile Town cars, it's not even funny.

I can't comment on them in the truck versions, the only 4.6 truck I have experience with was a 2v and it was sloooowwwwww.
But an engine being killed isn't the only factor in a vehicle being a piece of garbage. I sure as hell don't want to drive around in some squealing, clickity-clackity, noise maker even if it technically runs. If a 2V can go 200,000+ miles without so much as a blown COP, why does a 3V require so much dang attention?

post #8 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Bo Baustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
But an engine being killed isn't the only factor in a vehicle being a piece of garbage. I sure as hell don't want to drive around in some squealing, clickity-clackity, noise maker even if it technically runs. If a 2V can go 200,000+ miles without so much as a blown COP, why does a 3V require so much dang attention?
I'm not sure.

FWIW, my buddy's old work truck was a 3v 5.4 and he went 260,000 miles before cops and plugs.

I guess that's still anecdotal.. My 06 had like 110,000 miles on it when I sold it and I never did a damn thing to it. The phasers made noise from day one though. That was a nice truck. I should have just replaced the rear main and kept it. It was perfect.
brtnstrns likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

The problem is I'm buying a king cab 4x4 in illinois.....where we sell late 90's straight 6 jeep Cherokees eith 4x4 and 150,000+ miles for $4k no matter what. Hell I couldn't even find another jeep like my dad's for under $6k.

I have found a 07 Dakota with 140,000 miles set up similar to the ford trucks with around 140,000 miles on it for 8,500. There is also a 04 explorer going through the Ford service department with 135,000 miles, 4x4 with a 4.0 v6 in it. That was going to get put up for 8,500 also she said.

Car leaves tomorrow for the shop for their adjuster to figure out the damage. I looked at the car today and most of it is just body damge. Didn't see anything wrong with the exposed frame. All the fluids where still good.
post #10 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Bo Baustin

Is traveling in the cards?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=158853670

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=124452688 This has a big ass dent in the side of it, and it's been on the lot for over 400 days, offer $5k.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=161382173 Make it a road trip? This one is pretty decent other than the Cali bumper dings. It's pretty stripped back on features but it's at least an 08.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=162848532

Everything listed so far is less than that 205k truck. Flights can be pretty cheap during the week.
post #11 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Becoming Boosted!

Holy shit what ever glue they're sniffin' send it my way. 10k$ for a 11 year old f150 with 205k miles? That would literally sell for maybe 2k TOPS around here.

Look elsewhere man.
post #12 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Outrageous price. Idk the difference in the truck 3v4.6, but I'm at 160,000 miles on the stock clutch and have never opened the engine. I didn't do the spark plugs until 147,000 miles and only broke 1. I dynod it the very next day and put down 296whp on a Mustang dyno with only a full exhaust, cai, Bama tune, and 4.10s. I would say the engine is doing just fine. Staying on top of maintenance is key.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/b5hobsons4/2006%20Mustang%20GT/10da490b-40e7-4152-a493-50c169a655b1_zpsed967b1f.jpg
Mac Long Tubes | O/R Prochamber | Bassani Race Axlebacks | Hurst | Bama 93 | 4.10's | K Springs | Koni's
post #13 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Dirt Dives Me Crazy

I'd definitely look elsewhere like others have said. It would suck to pay that much for a truck that is gonna nickel and dime you to death.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic56003_1.gif
post #14 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 11:04 PM
impecunious

My 99 f150 (5.4) has 232k on it and runs fine. Has needed a bunch of shit here and there that I haven't really had the time or motivation to work on but the previous owner, who I knew, drove it around all the time just fine. But I also agree that those prices are a little much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96

Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
post #15 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 11:50 PM
Why not have a Fox?

I don't have any experience with modular motors but I imagine if they were taken care of they'll probably last a while longer. However I think both those prices are ridiculous. Anything with over 200k in my book is worth less than 5k and for that money there better be zero rust and perfect interior. I guess the exception to that rule is Diesel trucks... Those are still over priced though too.

Clueless College Kids Slow Budget Fox Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
Dont even know what you're talking about. But Aladdin was always the Disney character I trusted the most, so go for it.
post #16 of 19 Old January 11th, 2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the site austin. I'll be giving this dealer a call. I have been searching local bigger towns by googling var dealrshipd in them and i let my local dealers know. I wonder about this one. Ill give thrm a call agter i see what one of my local dealers has to ofger friday afternoon. Close and seems fairly priced. The travel aspect wouldn't bother me if it wasn't for the part time job would kill me.

Check out a 2005 Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew 4WD - $6,995 on CarGurus at https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/134510741
post #17 of 19 Old January 12th, 2017, 05:15 AM
1C2
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonKnight View Post
Thanks for the site austin. I'll be giving this dealer a call. I have been searching local bigger towns by googling var dealrshipd in them and i let my local dealers know. I wonder about this one. Ill give thrm a call agter i see what one of my local dealers has to ofger friday afternoon. Close and seems fairly priced. The travel aspect wouldn't bother me if it wasn't for the part time job would kill me.

Check out a 2005 Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew 4WD - $6,995 on CarGurus at https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/134510741
Uhhh in the Dealer's Description it says that it needs a new motor. Too much for that many miles anyway. My father bought his 01 f-150 with 130k miles for 7k, and it was in pristine condition. It's a beautiful truck, and it's 4wd. But it has the Triton 5.4L in it, which i've heard lots of bad things about. It's currently almost at 180k miles and I don't trust it, even though it is still in great condition. I think that it would be wise to just buy from a private seller rather than a dealer for a used vehicle.

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT
post #18 of 19 Old January 12th, 2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

sorry 1c2 that was a midnight read........plus dealing with private sells are just as bad as one of my previous post pointed out. I have been on the hunt really for a while for a suv/small truck anyway. I was trying just to do it with a grand in pocket looking for a 90's jeep or trailblazer and you cant pick those up without paying at least $2k for one with a blown motor or busted transmission. just looked today on craigslist and local on FB. im looking at trucks similar to the dealership with the same prices. at least with the dealership I can throw a couple of oil changes in or use a knowing flaw on the truck/suv to help it get fixed cheaper at a later date. the ones on fb and craigslist saying 04 jeep gc for $2k I think are scams cause all they say are Jeep GC with 140,000 miles and runs good. with only have one pic and no description on where they are at or number to call.

as far as traveling goes not really an option for a DD...would be for a fun car. I might be able to get somebody to cover a shift at the part time. seeing my budget im always afraid of getting burned in the end and forced to buy something just cause im out there. if I knew I could sneak over to STL or Indy with somebody I would be ok with that....but to go buy a ticket to CA and pray that truck is still available and is what they are advertising scares me.

'00 v6: sold
'05 v6: tint and le mans strips on the way......
post #19 of 19 Old January 12th, 2017, 10:41 AM
RAT FINK

I thought most of the 3V problems were on the 5.4. I haven't heard too much about issues with the 4.6, mine has 95K and I haven't done anything except change the plugs.

Anyway- I don't think I would ever actually buy anything with 200K on it, unless it was super cheap.

Such is the case with my Ranger, it had 172K on it when I got it (closing on 180K now- speedo is off due to bigger tires), BUT I got it for $800 with a blown up transmission and fixed it up. It was a former company vehicle and I don't think the 4.0 in it ever had any major work done either, all I've done with it is replace the plugs and fuel filter and change the oil.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & o/r H, Magnaflow resonators, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page