How to: Fix 99-04 odometer lighting
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (23) Thread Tools
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:34 PM   23 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

wraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to wraitherx Send a message via Yahoo to wraitherx

How to: Fix 99-04 odometer lighting

Credit for this goes to AJM for informing me one what is causing this.

As some of you may know 99-04 (mustangs and any other with digital odo) have a tendency of the led going out and sparadically coming back on. The solution is rather easy.

First start by taking your bezel and cluster out. here is a nice step by step by our friends over at AM but follow it up until about step 6. http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...es-how-to.html
once you get the cluster out flip it around so that the plug side is facing you and remove the 6 T15 torq bit screws holding the white plastic cover piece on.
Once you get that off unplug the single white connector that you see and then pull the board off.
Once you get that off flip it around so that the light bulbs are facing you and then locate the area where the pins are that the plug plugged into, there should be 9 in total.
now you will see 8 side by side with 1 kind off of by itself to the right. #8 and #9 are the ones that I found to be faulty on mine. Just check the solder points and make sure that they are all solid with no cracks in it. It would help to get a magnifying glass but I was able to see the problem without it. The only reason why I would think that these solder points were to crack was that when they were soldered there was an air bubble left inside and it cooled that way so over time it cracked open from movement of the vehicle and components and only gave partial contact to those pins.

At this point take your soldering iron with the pin point tip and heat it up. once it gets hot enough go ahead and take your solder and then melt a little bit on the tip and then place it directly on the solder joint on the pin. what this will do is to not only fill in that crack but to add a little bit more for stability. Let it cool off and repeat on the other ones if necessary. here are the contact pins.

Once you are done letting it cool off reassemble and then plug it in and test it out. If everything is good to go reassemble everything else and drink a beer for your good work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

wraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud of

Also, for those interested, if you are converting to a termi cluster or have one and the lighting has went out I can fix that. Ask Lefty as I repaired his for him. Just PM me if you need.
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM   #3
MM Fanatic

2003 Mustang GT
11.98 @ 116 N/A

PapaSmurf is a jewel in the roughPapaSmurf is a jewel in the roughPapaSmurf is a jewel in the roughPapaSmurf is a jewel in the rough

Great write up Primo. I had never even heard of this problem until now

315hp/300tq
Full Boltons, MHS Stage 3R cams, Stage 2 Heads, Built rear/4.30 gears

Sonic Blue Crew
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

Thanks bro. Yeah it happens, not to all our cars but some will/do experience this problem
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:42 AM   #5
Resident DJ

'01 Cobra Vert.

Lefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond repute

Primo did a terrible job of fixing mine

2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe (the daily)
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition (the other toy)
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:48 AM   #6
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Primo did a terrible job of fixing mine

well then send it back and i will make sure to "FIX" it this time

Old May 12th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Regular

2003 Mustang GT
Track Virgin

Justdoit04 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Justdoit04

Glad I saw this I've been having problems with my cluster. My whole entire cluster takes a minute to turn on after I've started the car. So I might try doing this to see if that fixes the problem.
Mods: Interior Matching Custom Corbeau CR1 Racing seats
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #8
Look Ma! My First Post!

1999 V6 35th Anniversary

Triforcex is on a distinguished road

I have recently started having this problem. It looks like the light goes out and then randomly comes back on. This is more of an in depth fix than i though it would be but still do-able. Ill get on this today.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:07 AM   #9

BrightBlue00GT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Triforcex View Post
I have recently started having this problem. It looks like the light goes out and then randomly comes back on. This is more of an in depth fix than i though it would be but still do-able. Ill get on this today.
Same here, it just started doing it a few months ago on my 2000 GT, which I've owned since new. On mine it appears it's just the odometer lights go out. The odometer itself still works... just can't see it. I can tell because when it does come back on (it's intermittent) the values have changed since last time it was on.

I've had the cluster out numerous times over the years installing 2 different white face gauge kits, the first I didn't like, the 2nd has been in for years now.

I will pull the cluster and check it.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Swelly Life

2004 Mustang v6

RunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud of

i have this exact problem!! too afraid to do this tho lol.

20 & Chasing Tail At College
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:21 PM   #11

1999 Mustang GT

mneill18 is on a distinguished road

Mine as been going in and out for a few weeks and its starting to get real annoying....thanks for posting this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/electrical-wiring/148218-how-fix-99-04-odometer-lighting.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:14 PM
Sexy Lingerie: Which Ones are Ideal for You? - Corset Suisse, Lingerie erotique & Sexy Dessous This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:13 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:12 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:11 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:09 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:08 PM
How to Choose Sexy Lingerie - Bodystocking, Heisse Dessous & Nuisette Sexy This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:07 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:06 PM
How to Select Sexy Lingerie that?s Perfect for You - Erotische Dessous, Heisse Dessous & Nuisette Sexy This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:03 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:01 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 03:00 PM
Tips in Choosing the Appropriate Lingerie which will Fit Your Shape - Corset Suisse, Heisse Dessous & Sexy Dessous This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 02:59 PM
Finding the Ideal Lingerie for your Body Type - Erotische Dessous, Lingerie erotique & Sexy Dessous This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 02:58 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback October 7th, 2014 02:57 PM
My odometer randomly stops working? =[ - MustangForums.com This thread Refback August 8th, 2014 09:16 PM
99 odometer blanks out intermittently. - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback April 20th, 2014 01:06 PM
My odometer randomly stops working? =[ - MustangForums.com This thread Refback April 15th, 2014 09:54 PM
Odometer problems? - Yahoo Answers This thread Refback March 23rd, 2014 12:23 AM
Odometer problems? - Yahoo Answers This thread Refback March 22nd, 2014 11:14 PM
My odometer randomly stops working? =[ - MustangForums.com This thread Refback September 30th, 2013 07:30 AM
Mustang help This thread Refback July 30th, 2013 01:04 AM
My odometer randomly stops working? =[ - MustangForums.com This thread Refback July 19th, 2011 11:45 AM
My odometer randomly stops working? =[ - MustangForums.com This thread Refback November 23rd, 2010 08:08 PM

Threads Similar to: How to: Fix 99-04 odometer lighting
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lighting strike WAR-PARTY The Clubhouse 7 August 2nd, 2008 02:04 AM
Lighting VaporS197 2005 - 2010 33 December 6th, 2007 10:21 AM
Interior Lighting Reset Visual 12 August 15th, 2007 12:40 AM
what about a lighting motor gordon norris 5.0 Mustangs 8 April 4th, 2007 03:36 PM
gauges not lighting up jeff V6 Mustangs 46 January 4th, 2007 03:47 PM