Spot Free Car Wash DIY (Screw you Mr. Clean, I'll do it myself!)
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Car Care & Detailing

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (16) Thread Tools
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:28 PM   16 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Cones = Yummy!

YELLOW! 2001 GT VERT

YeloPony is a jewel in the roughYeloPony is a jewel in the roughYeloPony is a jewel in the roughYeloPony is a jewel in the rough

Spot Free Car Wash DIY (Screw you Mr. Clean, I'll do it myself!)

So you want your car to be shinny and spot free? Mr. Clean has gotten out of the car wash business so we have to take matters into our own hands. First let me say that this was not my invention, this came from NastyStang113, though he has a slightly different set up, which is what led me to this write up.

Here is my outside setup, you’ll notice the faucet does not lend itself to convenient use of a splitter, if you can use a splitter you can substitute that for the quick connects… but the idea is the same

So what you will need (Home Depot, you can substitute many of these with similar items):

1x reel leader hose (hose extension) $6.98
1x filter canister (GEXWHO4F) comes with a bracket but no filter $17.98
Filters: I got a 2 pack of FWTC rev 2, they remove sediment plus chlorine $11.62
2x Hose Quick Disconnect Sets (1male 1 female per set) $5.47 each [you see 1 set and 1 male in the picture because I already had a female at the house)
1x 3/4” to 1/2” Hose Adapter [3/4” FH x 3/4” MiP to Tapped 1/2” FiP (WATTS A-679 ]$3.53
1x 3/4" to 3/4" Tapped Hose Adapter [3/4” MiH x3/4” MiP x 1/2" tapped FiP (WATTS A-665)] $3.53
Some Teflon Tape $0.98

My receipt total was $57.63 after tax, but included a clamp I was going to use for a bracket ($1.83)because I didn’t know the filter came with a bracket (d’oh), and a $0.99 bag of skittles my 4 year old wanted. So if you don’t bring your kids you can save some money… Oh and I noticed Home Depot was nice enough to not charge me for Teflon tape … With Logistics out of the way let’s get started.

First unpack everything make sure it’s all there.. open up the filters system

You’ll see the bracket, and wrench, you may or may not need the wrench, NastyStang113 says to hand tighten but I had to use the wrench, then again I have seriously high water pressure. Open up the filters, put one filter into the canister and tighten. It’s up to you if you want to use the nifty battery operated filter reminder, but given it’s based on time, it’s probably not valuable because you won’t be running water though this 24x7, the filter should last 3 months easy.

Next Teflon tape the adapters

Put the adapters and bracket on the filter

Place the bracket around the holes and then tighten them into the filter. The 3/4" to 1/2" (one with a large nut on it) goes on the “IN” side of the filter and the other fits onto the “OUT” side. You’ll want to use a wrench to make sure these are very tight, don’t over tighten, but they need to be in there good to prevent leaks

All set..good.. now the ‘complicated part’

You need a quick disconnect on the house faucet (female)

Quick Connect Male end on the leader hose, the other end of the leader hose will connect AND STAY CONNECTED to the “IN” part of the filter.
On the end of your everyday use hose, place a 2nd male connector: this is so you can connect directly to the house faucet or to the filter as needed. This allows easy switching from car wash to anything else. Again if you have the ability to use a splitter directly from the faucet it’s a good option.
On the “OUT” of the filter place the 2nd Female connector, again tighten with a wrench, but do not over tighten. By now it should look like this…

Now you can mount the filter, mount it wherever you want, it’s 2 screws you put them in and the bracket has a standard “bighole & slot” form so you can fit it over the screws and it will hang. For my set up I mounted it to my hose carrier, it works.

Now connect your leader hose from the filter to the house faucet quick connect, and your hose quick connect (male) to the filter quick connect (male) and clean your car.

A few notes, there is some noticeable pressure loss, if you need high pressure you simply have to leave your washing nozzle “off” and it will build up then when you depress the nozzle you’ll have a few seconds of high pressure. This isn’t a big deal since when rinsing you really want a lower pressure (mist or shower nozzle) held close to the car.

As for pressure build up, I haven’t tested this, but given this kind of set up you may not want to leave your water turned on with a nozzle connected and not being used for too long, I’m unsure as to the amount of ‘build up’ the filter and all the quick connects can take.. maybe someone else can chime in on that part.

We’ll that’s it.. buy a filter every few months or so (depending on usage), I know with normal RO/DI systems the filters that have to be replaced the most are at least 3-6 months, most last a year, and that’s constant use. With this kind of filtration I’m sure you can go at least 3 months from a filter. Unless you’re washing 3 cars every other day... you get the idea. And don’t forget a quality car wash, and it’s a good idea to at least wipe down the majority of the water after the rise.

If anyone has anything to add please let me know and I’ll edit, I’m by no means a ‘water guru’ just happened to do this after Nasty gave me the idea!

Zombie Killing Club | MM Cleavage Club #7

Specs and Pics in the garage...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!! It looks good. As far as the water pressure build up. I haven't had any issues and I've been using this set-up for nearly a year with no problems. I did recently switch to a different filter than the GE like you have but only because they were sold out of filters and I really needed to wash my car! LOL
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2000 gt

mustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to behold

i seriously need to do this, my car gets horrible water spots. good writeup!

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Cones = Yummy!

YELLOW! 2001 GT VERT

YeloPony is a jewel in the roughYeloPony is a jewel in the roughYeloPony is a jewel in the roughYeloPony is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by NastyStang113 View Post
Nice!! It looks good. As far as the water pressure build up. I haven't had any issues and I've been using this set-up for nearly a year with no problems. I did recently switch to a different filter than the GE like you have but only because they were sold out of filters and I really needed to wash my car! LOL
Glad to know.. now I need to go wash mine

Old April 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #5
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
13.82@100.26

BadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the rough

So does it actually help alot nasty? I'm just asking you because you have black as well.

If its got titts or tires, it's gonna give you problems.

Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
He has a 500rwhp 1990 5.0L with a cam who's lope takes virginity.
Originally Posted by Towelly View Post
Go find some Chill biscuits, dip them in some Calm the Fuck down sauce and chill the fuck out.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond repute

It helps but nothing is going to fix improper washing.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #7
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
13.82@100.26

BadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the rough

It helps but nothing is going to fix improper washing.
Well i mean just spotting. My car spots before i even get a chance to dry parts of it. Thats why i always do the hood first. Cuz it's the worst. I'm about to start washing my car at night under light because even in the shade isn't enough since its started warming up. So is it the sediments in the water that actually leave a residue behind?

Go find some Chill biscuits, dip them in some Calm the Fuck down sauce and chill the fuck out.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Yes, the filter will help with that. I like to remove my nozzle and use the sheeting method on my car during the wash otherwise I'll get spots. I find it helps out a lot. It sounds like you're off to a good start. Proper washing is the most important step in detailing in my opinion. If you aren't going to take the effort to wash it properly than it makes everything else worthless. I flat out will NOT wash my car at anything but dusk. It's just not worth it especially with a black car. I washed my car tonight and finished at 10:45 with the help of construction lights. LOL
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #9
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
13.82@100.26

Yes, the filter will help with that. I like to remove my nozzle and use the sheeting method on my car during the wash otherwise I'll get spots. I find it helps out a lot. It sounds like you're off to a good start. Proper washing is the most important step in detailing in my opinion. If you aren't going to take the effort to wash it properly than it makes everything else worthless. I flat out will NOT wash my car at anything but dusk. It's just not worth it especially with a black car. I washed my car tonight and finished at 10:45 with the help of construction lights. LOL
Yeah, the only thing that helps is a wax and a glaze... That can take water spots off and make it nice and shiny. I do that at the end of the wash. (Not with a motorized one, because i heard doing that too often takes off the clear)

Old April 13th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #10

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

Do you have a large open yard or something?

At my folks place where the garage is it's surrounded by oak trees so there is a ton of shade. just sucks horribly in the spring with the tree sperm.

I've tried washign my car at dusk/night, but always feel as though I missed something even if I have my worklights out Just me I guess.
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #11

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadBlackGT View Post
Yeah, the only thing that helps is a wax and a glaze... That can take water spots off and make it nice and shiny. I do that at the end of the wash. (Not with a motorized one, because i heard doing that too often takes off the clear)
I have pics of a Cobalt that I detailed taht went through automatic carwashes. It's speaks for everything...

As for the water spots, if waxing the car is 'removing' them, you either A) didn't wash the car correctly (these are mineral deposits from the water) or B) the wax is filling them in which is typical of just about every OTC wax except for Meg's 26, Gold Class (light fillers), and NXT. All the other's that i know of fill crap in.
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #12
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
13.82@100.26

Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post
I have pics of a Cobalt that I detailed taht went through automatic carwashes. It's speaks for everything...

As for the water spots, if waxing the car is 'removing' them, you either A) didn't wash the car correctly (these are mineral deposits from the water) or B) the wax is filling them in which is typical of just about every OTC wax except for Meg's 26, Gold Class (light fillers), and NXT. All the other's that i know of fill crap in.
Idk, there water at my new house is horrible. Except it feels great in the shower. Its real soft water, so idk. I may invest in one of these setups. Great stuff there.

Old April 13th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #13
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post
Do you have a large open yard or something?

At my folks place where the garage is it's surrounded by oak trees so there is a ton of shade. just sucks horribly in the spring with the tree sperm.

I've tried washign my car at dusk/night, but always feel as though I missed something even if I have my worklights out Just me I guess.
Acreage!! It's got it's benefits and draw backs though.

I try to wash right as the sun is half way setting so I have enough light but not enough to cause spotting. Tonight was just a odd ball night. I don't think I've washed this late.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #14
Cones = Yummy!

YELLOW! 2001 GT VERT

I wash my car at high noon, in fact I tested this when I was done, just hosed off the truck, didn't even wash it, sun was shinning, and there was no water spotting (just spotting from the dirt that didn't come off, the parts that were clean, were shinny).

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #15
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Zatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to Zatrekaz

Will deff have to do this, thanks for the write up man, +reps

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #16
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz View Post
Will deff have to do this, thanks for the write up man, +reps
I don't know why but it's not showing up...
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #17
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Zatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to Zatrekaz

I don't know why but it's not showing up...

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #18
MM Fanatic

KB'd GT

Trick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to all

Sorry, but a carbon filter will not remove any salt (hardness that causes spots). You need a deionizing filter, or a RO system if you want spot free water. I use a RO system with 20 gallons on reserve, feeding a air hose like on a roll up thing. It works great! I still dry the car because if you don't, dust will collect on the water spots and form dust spots. They are much easier to wipe off, but it won't be super clean.
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #19
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Originally Posted by Trick Tuners View Post
Sorry, but a carbon filter will not remove any salt (hardness that causes spots). You need a deionizing filter, or a RO system if you want spot free water. I use a RO system with 20 gallons on reserve, feeding a air hose like on a roll up thing. It works great! I still dry the car because if you don't, dust will collect on the water spots and form dust spots. They are much easier to wipe off, but it won't be super clean.
So you're saying that sediment isn't going to create water spots when it dries? I beg to differ. Like I said, I've got well water so it's not as if my water is going to be perfectly clean without spending close to $4,000. The sediment filter does without a doubt help.
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #20
MM Fanatic

KB'd GT

Trick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to all

So you're saying that sediment isn't going to create water spots when it dries? I beg to differ. Like I said, I've got well water so it's not as if my water is going to be perfectly clean without spending close to $4,000. The sediment filter does without a doubt help.
Sediment will leave spots when it drys, but they are not the "traditional" water spots. On a well system its a good idea, but wells can also have really hard water and carbon will do nothing for that.
I just set up a whole house filter system. Pretty crazy by most peoples standards. 25um prefilter into a 4x20" 50-5um gradient filter, then to a 4x20" 1um absolute filter, then it T's into 2 4x20" carbon filters. Pressure gauges on each filter to determine when and what is clogging. There are no filters installed in this pic, but you get the idea. Now my water is chlorine and particulate free!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/160961-spot-free-car-wash-diy-screw-you-mr-clean-ill-do-myself.html
Posted By For Type Date
If this continues to get bigger we'll need to create a secret handshake. - Page 1241 This thread Refback April 10th, 2014 03:44 PM
TalonAirgun.com ? View topic - got solar....need meter to be changed out or something This thread Refback January 11th, 2014 10:35 AM
TalonAirgun.com ? View topic - got solar....need meter to be changed out or something This thread Refback January 10th, 2014 03:14 PM
TalonAirgun.com ? View topic - got solar....need meter to be changed out or something This thread Refback January 10th, 2014 11:08 AM
How the hell do I keep a black car clean - Page 4 - MustangForums.com This thread Refback December 5th, 2013 11:25 PM
Spot Free Car Wash Rinse - Mr Clean Substitute | Clever Tricks This thread Refback November 29th, 2013 01:48 PM
Concealed Carry Forum - Water spotting This thread Refback August 13th, 2013 09:27 PM
Spot Free Car Wash Rinse - Mr Clean Substitute | Clever Tricks This thread Refback August 6th, 2013 05:37 PM
Mr Clean Spot Free Car Wash | www.BizPlenty.com This thread Refback December 12th, 2012 08:30 PM
water filtering - Chameleon Forums This thread Refback November 14th, 2012 11:56 AM
How the hell do I keep a black car clean - Page 4 - MustangForums.com This thread Refback October 10th, 2012 09:49 AM
What kind of soap - The Mustang Collective Forums This thread Refback June 2nd, 2012 09:56 PM
What kind of soap - The Mustang Collective Forums This thread Refback June 2nd, 2012 08:20 PM
Spot Free Car Wash | www.BizPlenty.com This thread Refback April 30th, 2012 12:10 PM
Mr Clean Spot Free Car Wash | www.BizPlenty.com This thread Refback February 21st, 2012 06:50 PM
First attempt at detailing.. the cheap approach ... - YMR This thread Refback May 1st, 2010 07:46 AM

Threads Similar to: Spot Free Car Wash DIY (Screw you Mr. Clean, I'll do it myself!)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
93 clean rust free modded 306 on ebay. check it out SALIV8 5.0 Mustangs 6 January 4th, 2009 08:28 PM
F-ing car wash scratched my car! workinprogress 99 - 04 19 January 23rd, 2008 05:54 PM
Ahhh! (Oil Spot Under Car) mustang1072 V6 Mustangs 11 December 10th, 2007 01:01 PM
whats the best wash soap to wash car?? droppedbass87 Visual 26 July 13th, 2007 02:36 PM