Modded Mustang Forums banner

Huge newb at detailing.

8K views 117 replies 8 participants last post by  dannyboy281 
#1 ·
Hey guys I've never actually detailed my own car. Besides the little armour all and a chamois(shammy). Anyways Here is a list I have picked out that i want to try.

Meguirs liquid gold wax
3M compunds stage1,2 and 3. I have some brutal scratches...
Mothers Clay bar
And i think thats it.

How the hell do clay bars even work? I see people with clean ass cars and they all have Claybar as one of the ingredients.

Also will post up pics of the daamaged/scratched areas tomorrow

#37 · (Edited)
Reactions: Pittbull
#39 ·
I have the Wheel Wax and it does the job, but its hard to buff off. They reccomend you apply it to all four wheels then buff. However if you wait that long, it is SO hard to buff each wheel. I like to apply it to one wheel, wait a few mins, and then buff it before moving to the next wheel.

I was thinking of trying either Poorboy's or DP Wheel glaze soon.

#42 ·
I orderd in.
meguiars m105, and m205
PB black hole glaze
wolf gang deep gloss paint sealent
PB battys blue paste
megs claybar

I'm going to go pick up pads, towels locally and use the polisher from work.

#45 ·
What type of polisher is it a rotary or a DA. If its a rotary you might end up inputting holograms or worse burn the finish since your not experienced in usinge one. Also what pads and what towels are you getting.

#48 ·
Im just testing ya big boy ;)

the guy at autozone laughed at me when i asked if they had wheel wax.... i didnt see it on the shelf so i asked, and appearently they dont carry it...? bastard. i wanted to choke that fat bastard :mad

so do i have to order wheel wax from their website??
Go to autogeek.net or go to chemicalguys.com and just type in wheel wax

#50 ·
I still need to pick up a 5.5" yellow pad or a purple wool pad so i can hit the roof the hood and the decklid at like speed 5 or 6. Have you seen the Tech pads the tange orange and the aqua blue I read that they are really good. Have you tried them out zat? Also what the hell does everyone do with the white PC pad that comes with the PC7424XP never use it?

#51 ·
Get you a yellow pad for the roof and trunk. If you need something tougher go with the Surbuf pads. The wool is for a rotary it seems. I have not used thoese pads, no.

Personally I don't know what to your that white pad for either. I would assume maybe a MF Bonnet would fit over it?

#52 ·
even the small 5.5" synthetic wool pads what hook up to the PC with the hd backing plate?

Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool Pad - 5.5 inch | Detailed Image

As for the surbuf pads who carries them, DI or autogeek doesnt seem to carry them at least I could find them under the pads sections. And ill be getting a yellow 5.5" ccs as soon as I can find my damn credit card on my desk. Have you also tried using the pad brush to keep the pads clean so the polish doesnt cake up on it.

#54 ·
No, the Porter Cable goes up to 6000 and I never compound or polish on anything lower. When glazing and waxing I go lower (3-4k).

The Porter Cable is the industry standard polisher. Check out Autogeek and look around on the polishers. You will need the polisher, a backing plate, and all the pads I mentioned.

Danny: Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads 2 Pack, surbuf pads, microfingers pads, polishing pads

and this is copied from Detailed Image's website on the foamed wool pad: This pad is ideally used with a Flex or rotary buffer for best results

#62 ·
Yep, I think I have found my nich for autos... paint and detailing. I love making paint look amazing.

As for the glaze, I have only used Poorboy's Black Hole and Meg's #7. I want to try CG's Acrylic Glaze two or whatever next tho. I really did not noticed that big of a difference when I used the glaze, but I am gonna use it for a car show soon just in case. Not like it will make the car look worse Lol.

#63 ·
Thats good man:), also just remembered I need the ez detail brush i think its almost he same as the daytona, for my wheels and exhaust tips, man this is going to get expensive fast haha.

#64 ·
Ya it is the same, just a different color. This does get expensive fast. Im sure I have spent 400-500 easy. Zinc has spent over 2 grand, but he does details for others and has made money from it... so its not all expense.

#65 ·
Yeah I have already spent 500+ and with these other purchases its going to take it into the high 600's or low 700's :eek: But I hope I can get good at it so that in the future I can make some cash on doing other people vehicles. But thats in the future for now I want to get mine looking amazing. :D

#71 ·
Will do. So this is what im gonna do

Wash the dry
Claybar
compound 1
IPA wipedown
then 2
IPA wipedown
(need another finishing polish here, like PO85RD)
Glaze
Sealant
Wax
Also, if you are starting out with M105/205... then its going to be a tough learning. I still have issues with M105, its a hard compound to work with. It dries (flashes) VERY quickly and is hard to buff off. I find that spraying some Water, QD, or IPA on the section after a pass with M105 helps remove it a great deal.

M205 is easy to work with. Has a bit longer working time than M105 and it buffs off eaiser. Just have to be careful and not over-work it.

What Glaze, Sealant, and Wax are you using? What kind of Microfibers are you using?

#70 ·
sounds good when you said compound 1 and 2 you mean M105 and then M205 correct forgot what you were purchasing im pretty sure its M105 and M205. Also what type of polisher will you be using?

#72 ·
I found using the m105 and 205 worked quite well. I used a 7" sand/polisher It had alot of go on it.

I orderd in.
meguiars m105, and m205
PB black hole glaze
wolf gang deep gloss paint sealent
PB battys blue paste
megs claybar

Just finished the polishing and it looks 1000x better.
Gonna start the glaze right now/ Hopefully be done in a few hours here.

#74 ·
So it sounds like you used a rotary most I hope you didnt leave hologram or burned through your finish. Rotaries always have to stay in motion you cant let it sit on the finish or go too slow if not you will have some big problems. what pads or pad did it have on it that you used? also post pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.