waxing question
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Car Care & Detailing

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mach 1

cbrown54 is on a distinguished road

waxing question

this might be a bad question, but can you wax your car too often?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

Yes you can wax it too often and it will build up residue rewax when you feel and see your mustang isnt repelling water as well. And its not a bad question man.

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #3
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Zatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to Zatrekaz

Originally Posted by dannyboy281 View Post
Yes you can wax it too often and it will build up residue rewax when you feel and see your mustang isnt repelling water as well. And its not a bad question man.
+1

If you wax without removing the old wax you begin to get a build up. What will happen is this: say your wax last 3 months. You rewax your car once a month without removing the current wax. 3 months down the road when your bottom layer (first layer) of wax fades, so does ALL the layers on top of it, leaving you with no wax until you wax again.

Either wait till your current wax fades, or do a IPA (rubbing alchohol) wipe down before applying new wax. I personally like to wash the car with Dawn Dish Soap followed by a IPA wipe down.

Chemical Guys also sells a wash soap that can be used the strip wax off the car.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM   #4

19stang88 is on a distinguished road

too much waxing can cause hazing
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Enthusiast

2001 GT

Perfectcircle is an unknown quantity at this point

One overlap of wax isn't bad. Everytime I wax (and the pros will tell you the same), a good conmbination of two waxes will go along way. And some of my favorite waxes require minium of two coats too.
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Zatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 19stang88 View Post
I don't know where you heard that, but I belive you are mistaken. I have never hard of to many coats of wax causing haze...

Originally Posted by Perfectcircle View Post
One overlap of wax isn't bad. Everytime I wax (and the pros will tell you the same), a good conmbination of two waxes will go along way. And some of my favorite waxes require minium of two coats too.
Two waxes? I think you mean a combination of a Wax and a Synthetic Sealant. The most effective way to do it is to lay down a coat for Natural Carnuba based Wax followed by a coat of Synthetic paint sealant. That gives you roughly 4-5 months of protection depending on your location, wash habits, and driving conditions.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM   #7

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dannyboy281 View Post
Compeltely wrong.

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz View Post
+1

If you wax without removing the old wax you begin to get a build up. What will happen is this: say your wax last 3 months. You rewax your car once a month without removing the current wax. 3 months down the road when your bottom layer (first layer) of wax fades, so does ALL the layers on top of it, leaving you with no wax until you wax again.

Either wait till your current wax fades, or do a IPA (rubbing alchohol) wipe down before applying new wax. I personally like to wash the car with Dawn Dish Soap followed by a IPA wipe down.

Chemical Guys also sells a wash soap that can be used the strip wax off the car.
No.

Originally Posted by 19stang88 View Post
Completely wrong.

Originally Posted by Perfectcircle View Post
Winner.

I don't know where you heard that, but I belive you are mistaken. I have never hard of to many coats of wax causing haze...

Two waxes? I think you mean a combination of a Wax and a Synthetic Sealant. The most effective way to do it is to lay down a coat for Natural Carnuba based Wax followed by a coat of Synthetic paint sealant. That gives you roughly 4-5 months of protection depending on your location, wash habits, and driving conditions.
Nope some waxes blend together. Look at Dodo Juice for once. Mixing Purple Haze and Supernatural is pretty common.

ALOT of people will do 2 coats of a wax. There is no set standard where it HAS to have a sealant AND a wax. you can do 2 coats of a nuba without any ill effects excepet the durability and even then by the time you rewax you should still have PLENTY of protection left.

As it stands I have Collinite 845 and a layer of Natty's Red on my car. It's held up since April and still beads and neither one of those are sealants.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post
Nope some waxes blend together. Look at Dodo Juice for once. Mixing Purple Haze and Supernatural is pretty common.

ALOT of people will do 2 coats of a wax. There is no set standard where it HAS to have a sealant AND a wax. you can do 2 coats of a nuba without any ill effects excepet the durability and even then by the time you rewax you should still have PLENTY of protection left.

As it stands I have Collinite 845 and a layer of Natty's Red on my car. It's held up since April and still beads and neither one of those are sealants.
I never said that its not common to do two coats of wax. Simply that I had never heard of mixing two DIFFERENT coats of wax. I stand corrected, just never heard of that.

Also, beading is not a indication of a wax/sealants status... you should know that

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM   #9

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

Technically it is.... How else do we judge protection? You can't "SEE" the wax, and wax beads water. A good eye can tell the difference between regular water bead and wax bead.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Technically it is.... How else do we judge protection? You can't "SEE" the wax, and wax beads water. A good eye can tell the difference between regular water bead and wax bead.
Well, some waxes sheet water more than bead. Plus a smooth clean surface will bead water. It is a good way to judge it, but its not fail proof.

Oh ya, finally got some MF from Pak Shak... got 12 of the Ultra-Plush 16x16 and a free 16x24 one.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:16 AM   #11

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

Compeltely wrong.
Am I really completely wrong I got my information from reading an article from Detailed Image maybe my wording came out wrong sorry. I should have posted these links instead of doing the explanation. These are the links I got my information from. One of the articles even states "you dont want to layer wax on top of old wax" thats what i meant i didnt mean not to apply coats sorry for the bad wording.

How Long Do Waxes Last and When Should I Reapply? – Detailed Image

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...arnauba-Waxes/

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #12

2000 mustang gt

00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice00redgt is just really nice
Send a message via Yahoo to 00redgt

by washing the car with dawn will it remove the old wax by its self or dawn and rubbing alcohol remove it better.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Bangarang will become famous soon enoughBangarang will become famous soon enough

So four coats of wax throughout the summer would be overkill? For example?

1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Classic - New modder
2000 Mustang GT - SOLD (I will have another one day)
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Originally Posted by 00redgt View Post
by washing the car with dawn will it remove the old wax by its self or dawn and rubbing alcohol remove it better.
It will help, by Dawn will not remove it all. do an IPA wipe down to be sure.

Originally Posted by Bangarang View Post
So four coats of wax throughout the summer would be overkill? For example?
As long as you remove the old wax first, your ok. However a typical carnuba wax will last you 3 months.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM   #15
Regular

Envious Eric is on a distinguished road

hey guys, this is eric who posted the article on DI

what I meant by the comment of "you dont want to just layer..." was this:
layering wax upon wax upon wax will still only have one true layer of wax bonded to the paint. The rest of the layers are going to be removed more easily since they arent bonding to anything solid, just removable wax. So those people who say they have 13 layers of wax on the car, they dont. They just applied it 13 times, but removed a little of the previous layer by adding the second layer. I am not talking a lot of removal, but a tad.

Waxing once a month, you are not giving the wax a true bond to the paint. Think of all the washings, the driving conditions, the environmental fallout that is on the car that has bonded to the paint (the stuff that just doesnt come off the paint with ease while washing). where do you think that is going if you dont "prep" the car for wax? Its going to stay on the car while you wax over the top of it, leaving the wax still not bonding to the paint. Thats is why a pre-wax cleaner is a good option for those who have the time. The general rule is waiting 12 hours or so between layers and layer them back to back for a "good 3 layers protection".

Hope that clears some things up for ya...

Eric
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM   #16

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

Hey Eric thanks for the clarification and advice. I am sure the guys are going to be as stoked as I am to see that you posted here on MM. I hope to see more of you here thanks again and

Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM   #17
Regular

Envious Eric is on a distinguished road

It will help, by Dawn will not remove it all. do an IPA wipe down to be sure.

As long as you remove the old wax first, your ok. However a typical carnuba wax will last you 3 months.
what carnuba is giving you 3 months? most I get out of them is about 4 week-6weeks
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM   #18
OFM
Regular

2010 GT Premium

OFM is on a distinguished road

What are some good Wax Wash Remover you can get at locals stores ?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:23 PM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang

00BlueMustang is a jewel in the rough00BlueMustang is a jewel in the rough00BlueMustang is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by OFM View Post
What are some good Wax Wash Remover you can get at locals stores ?
Dawn would be your best bet. To my knowledge there is not OTC stuff that could do what you want. I own Chemical Guys Citruswash + Gloss and if it is diluted correctly it can remove old wax.

Detailing Crew Member

North Carolina Modded Mustangs #5
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #20
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
what carnuba is giving you 3 months? most I get out of them is about 4 week-6weeks
Notice I used the word "Typical".

How many miles you get from any LSP depends on many factors. Such as your location, driving conditions, washing style, ect. Now.. if you are only getting 4-6 weeks (1 - 1 1/2 months), then you are either washing incorrectly or are stripping it before it really IS gone.

What makes you say you only get that long? How do you know its gone in 4-6 weeks?

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: waxing question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waxing Question? DarkCandy08GT 2005 - 2010 21 April 26th, 2009 03:26 PM
What did I just get done waxing? Dansby The Clubhouse 17 March 24th, 2008 11:21 AM
Waxing too much?? KenDogg 2005 - 2010 44 August 21st, 2007 12:34 AM
Waxing Breakout Visual 10 April 2nd, 2007 12:34 PM