Best wax alternative?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Car Care & Detailing

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

paqman is on a distinguished road

Best wax alternative?

Everybody loves a good wax finish, but dude, I got a wife, two kids, a job, two OTHER cars, and a house to take care of, and I can't spend 3 hours to wax my Mustang all the time. I want to take care of it, keep it looking as good as possible, and protect the paint. Does anyone out here know of or use a wax or wax alternative that is a sort of apply and leave type product? Some that doesn't take application, drying, buffing, and polishing? Something that I can just apply and let dry, or something like that? I'm not saying she'll never see a good wax again, I'm just looking for something I can throw on every other week or so in between the two times a year I get to wax it.

2001 Mustang GT
Magnaflow Exhaust
That's all folks...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #2
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much

Blown 03 GT
11.81@123

03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all

You only need a good detail job once, maybe twice a year. A detail spray wax could def help keep it looking good. You can usually get a detail job done for around $100 buck as well.

Nothing says "were dating" like sticking your dick in her.
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by 03_StangGuy View Post
You only need a good detail job once, maybe twice a year. A detail spray wax could def help keep it looking good. You can usually get a detail job done for around $100 buck as well.
Thanks. Detail spray wax, I'll look into that. And I don't mind doing the work myself, I just only do it about two times a year. Once in the spring right when I pull it out of hibernation, and then one in late summer. I think between those two, and not driving it in the winter, helps keep it pretty good.

2001 Mustang GT
Magnaflow Exhaust
That's all folks...
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Regular

1997 Mustang GT
N/A

war1ock is on a distinguished road

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax is a very good spray wax thats quick and easy. I use it on my truck i dont wana waste time paste waxing
Im more a meth kinda guy. Primarily on the weekends.
1997 GT. K&N Filter, Smoked Angel Eye Headlights, Sequential Taillights, Summit O/R H Pipe Flowmaster 40s
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by war1ock View Post
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax is a very good spray wax thats quick and easy. I use it on my truck i dont wana waste time paste waxing
Thanks, I love Meguiars stuff, I'll try that. This will also be nice for the minivan, it's an 07, and the paint is still in great shape, but I NEVER want to wax that sucker.

2001 Mustang GT
Magnaflow Exhaust
That's all folks...
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Forever in our hearts travis_afx

2003 SVT Cobra

rk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of light

A detail spray sounds like a good fit for you. Just spray on and wipe off. I do mine everytime I wash the car (right after I dry it). I'm a big fan of Wizards. Turtle Wax has a product I believe it's called ICE. It's not bad either.

You can get the Wizards stuff at any NAPA store.

03 Cobra-Slow
02 SS, 00 Z/28-Gone

Rest In Peace Travis Billings
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28 View Post
A detail spray sounds like a good fit for you. Just spray on and wipe off. I do mine everytime I wash the car (right after I dry it). I'm a big fan of Wizards. Turtle Wax has a product I believe it's called ICE. It's not bad either.

You can get the Wizards stuff at any NAPA store.
Yeah, I saw the Turtle Wax ICE one. The ICE product line seems pretty good. I used the ICE paste was a week ago on my car, and it was great.

2001 Mustang GT
Magnaflow Exhaust
That's all folks...
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Regular

Goldenpony is on a distinguished road

Optimum Poli-Seal. Fantastic!
MGW Shifter
Brenspeed 93 Octane tune
CORSA Performance Exhaust
Retro-Solutions HIDs
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #9
So say we all.

2000 Mustang V6

Wataru will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Wataru Send a message via Yahoo to Wataru

Feb/March - good ol' fashioned Turtle Wax , or get a detail job. (3 hrs)

Once a Month: Wash, Turtle Wax ICE Synthetic Wax (spray on, can do a car in < 10 mins) and rotate that with Turtle Wax ICE Detailer, Turtle Wax ICE Interior detailer on the black rubber and plastic outside. (2 hours). You have to re-spray wax your car everytime you wash it with ICE but it only takes 10 minutes to reapply... I did mine this morning. < 2 hours, interior, exterior, ICE synth wax, black trim

September: Turtle Wax F21 Polish. (1 hour ~ 1.5 hours)

And your set =)

Turtle Wax FTW!

Spectre CAI - Flowmaster divorced duals - VAP Intake Spacer - SF3/X3 Bama Power Tuner - ASP 25% UDP
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

I just tried the ICE Synthetic wax yesterday on our minivan. It's a dark color, so it was a good test. I think perhaps the microfiber cloths I used weren't the right rag to use or something, because the ICE stuff didn't seem to come off or rub in very well. I would exactly call it streaking, but it seemed that after even one or two panels, the rag was too wet to really polish it. They just seemed to leave a lot of the product on and I had to really rub with a good dry rag to get it to come off. Not even sure what was left on there, or if it did any good. Seemed like I was just spraying water on kind of. So I'm not sure if I like that stuff yet.

What is the difference between the ICE synthetic wax and the detailer? I like these spray on waxes, I just have to find one that goes on good.

2001 Mustang GT
Magnaflow Exhaust
That's all folks...
Old July 18th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #11
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

None of the products listed above except optimum poil-seal are good products. They are all OTC and will not produce good results or provide enough protection. If you want lasting protection with great results go for a good sealant like blackfire wet diamond or optimum poly-seal. Yet remember before applying any wax or sealant the surface must be clean and if you have never clayed your vehicle it time to learn and get it done before applying any wax or sealant.

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #12
So say we all.

2000 Mustang V6

Wataru will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Wataru Send a message via Yahoo to Wataru

Originally Posted by Wataru View Post
Turtle Wax
Originally Posted by dannyboy281 View Post
None of the products listed above except optimum poil-seal are good products.
Communist.

Spectre CAI - Flowmaster divorced duals - VAP Intake Spacer - SF3/X3 Bama Power Tuner - ASP 25% UDP
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 mustang bullitt

bullitt ak will become famous soon enough

Get a porter cable or any dual action polisher...wont take 3 hours....things like ICE polish or detail sprays are for in between waxings....they don't replace that step..you could use the PC and wax it once a month or wax AND seal less frequently

Last edited by bullitt ak; July 18th, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old July 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #14
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

Lol, OTC? What does that mean? Am I supposed to get prescription car products? And thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not about to clay bar my car every other week either. That's going along with the twice a year wax. I don't think some of you get the drift. I'm not waxing even once a month. I'll rinse it off and do a detailer or "spray wax" every other week or so, and wipe the car down, but I ain't giving it the clay bar that often.

2001 Mustang GT
Magnaflow Exhaust
That's all folks...
Old July 18th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #15

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paqman View Post
Lol, OTC? What does that mean? Am I supposed to get prescription car products? And thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not about to clay bar my car every other week either. That's going along with the twice a year wax. I don't think some of you get the drift. I'm not waxing even once a month. I'll rinse it off and do a detailer or "spray wax" every other week or so, and wipe the car down, but I ain't giving it the clay bar that often.
You dont clay every time you wax its only 2-3 times a year man if necessary, just letting you know, OTC (Over the Counter). It looks to me like I have a link that will help you and yet its with quality products thats provide great protection and that are fast and easy to apply. And sealants last way more than a month most up to 3-4 depending on location and conditions that is why I suggested them to you instead of wax. If you dont need the washing media/products you can just get the spray wax its $14.99 the entire kit is $89.99 not much if your looking to protect you car, and you will significantly reduce swirls and scratches with proper washing media and techniques .

Wash and Wax in 60 minutes featuring Optimum No Rinse – Detailed Image

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,

Last edited by dannyboy281; July 18th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

You dont clay every time you wax its only 2-3 times a year man if necessary, just letting you know, OTC (Over the Counter). It looks to me like I have a link that will help you and yet its with quality products thats provide great protection and that are fast and easy to apply. And sealants last way more than a month most up to 3-4 depending on location and conditions that is why I suggested them to you instead of wax. If you dont need the washing media/products you can just get the spray wax its $14.99 the entire kit is $89.99 not much if your looking to protect you car, and you will significantly reduce swirls and scratches with proper washing media and techniques .

Wash and Wax in 60 minutes featuring Optimum No Rinse Detailed Image
Ah, gotcha. Sorry, wasn't trying to be mean, just thought OTC was funny. I'll definitely look into the optimum poli-seal, it sound like good stuff. Thanks for all the tips, I think I've got more than enough good info to keep her looking in tip top shape without spending a ton of time.

2001 Mustang GT
Magnaflow Exhaust
That's all folks...
Old July 19th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #17

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

Originally Posted by paqman View Post
Ah, gotcha. Sorry, wasn't trying to be mean, just thought OTC was funny. I'll definitely look into the optimum poli-seal, it sound like good stuff. Thanks for all the tips, I think I've got more than enough good info to keep her looking in tip top shape without spending a ton of time.
Its cool man no worries, also poil-seal is a great product, let me know what route you go

Old July 19th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #18
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

Its cool man no worries, also poil-seal is a great product, let me know what route you go
Will do. I've already tried the Turtle Wax Ice synthetic wax, wasn't too impressed, so I'm going to try the poli-seal. I'm going to try a few of the Optimum products. They all look pretty good.

2001 Mustang GT
Magnaflow Exhaust
That's all folks...
Old July 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #19

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

Optimum Opti-Seal Spray Sealant Product Review – Detailed Image

I meant opti-seal not poli-seal opti-seal is easier to apply man but both provide great protection so what ever way you go you should pleased with the results and protection.

Old July 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #20

1999 Mustang GT

rokman is on a distinguished road

I use the Meguiar's quick wax. I, like you, only wax ~twice a year. As long as you hand wash it and dry it, then use the quick wax, it will look good for a couple months.

Coming soon, 4.10s, happy gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Best wax alternative?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle Wax Ice Wax Drgnracin72 Parts 31 March 1st, 2011 01:40 PM
Alternative to Clay Baring? YeloPony General Car Care & Detailing 9 April 21st, 2010 12:53 PM
I bought meguires wax cleaner, do i need to polish after or just wax after i use it? 00mustangv6 General Car Care & Detailing 3 March 30th, 2010 01:39 AM
Chrome wheels. Wax or not to wax? Saleen0101 Modular Mustangs 3 August 23rd, 2008 02:23 PM
Tuner Alternative? JOHNNY K. 99 - 04 6 May 7th, 2008 02:37 PM