Advice fro removing VERY hard water spots on windows and hard water in general.
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Car Care & Detailing

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

freefallin2000 is on a distinguished road

Advice fro removing VERY hard water spots on windows and hard water in general.

I just moved from Oregon where the water is absolutely pure and does not water spot at all. I now live in Arizona in an apt but I have a garage now so I can wash/detail when I need to. The water however, is TERRIBLE. I literally cannot dry my car fast enough for the water to not spot. I have to run over my car with some QD and a MF to get them off which is a pita.

My windows are pretty rough. I have tried using a Scotch Brite and some compound, some M105 and a PC and Adams yellow pad, CCS orange pad, and also a hand towel. I am not really sure what do use now. It essentially either scratches (Scotch Brite obviously) or not not remove the spots and make the window grimy.

I need some help here. ANy advice appreciated about the hard water as well. I feel like there really isn't a way around it.

Oh, yeah, I also need to start protecting my trim/black plastic and dash with something from the Az sun. My car sits at work un covered from the elements 5 days a week, every week. I feel like I need to do something for the old girl....maybe cover it every day? Thats an extra 10 minutes every day that I really don't have. It would be a pita hauling a car cover around too.

While we're at it, what is a good product for sealing my wheels? Can I use Simple Green to clean them? Like it won't take the finish or clear coat off of them will it?

Lol, since being down here and commuting 20 miles a day, my car has seen rain, baking sun, dust, grime/finger prints, automatic tranny fluid, oil, etc. Its been through hell a back and it's really hard to keep clean.

Sorry, just need to vent. Help appreciated!!

My car is white btw.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

I live in El Paso so I know how hard the water is and also the heat is almost as hot as Phoenix AZ also my GT is black and it dusty as hell here. So with all that said here are the tricks I use. I never wash my car during the day even if its under shade it is just too hot and will cause water spots. I always wash about an hour before sun set here thats about at 6 or 6:30 p.m. mst. This will eliminate water spotting if followed up with QD and quality drying towel and by the time your done washing, and drying comes around its getting a little darker so there is less heat and sun but enough to still see out side so you can dry in the best conditions. I sheet my car with water to get most of it off. Then I use a leaf blower I was using my a gas powered on but it seems to leave a film on the it, so I am back to my electric one. I then have my bottle of QD (Chemical Guys synthetic QD) and my waffle weave towel to get the it the rest of the water this is the best method I have had luck with and it leaves you with not water spots or streaks at all because the surface is cool and the sun is setting. I have yet to install a deionized water system for washing my mustang but that is another route you can go (see link below). As for simple green I have used this on my wheels before and it never has done any damage to them if you are worried dilute it in a 4:1 ratio in another empty spray bottle this way you still get great cleaning power but you use less product ( simple green can be diluted see the back of the bottle). As for sealing your wheels you can get a spray sealant like Optimum Opti-Seal see below or Zaino Z-CS clear seal basically the same thing but depends on which maker you like better. The reason for spray sealants like those are you dont have to let the sealant haze up then buff of like traditional sealants, just spray it on and wipe it with a soft microfiber towel. Links will be below hope this helps man

Deluxe Clean Water Filter Kit, 2 step water filter system, water filter for car washing, inline hose filter

Z-CS Clear Seal: Zaino Store

Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal - 8 oz | Detailed Image

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,

Last edited by dannyboy281; September 14th, 2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Man, I wish I could have that filtration system at my apt. But unfortunately, they wouldn't be a fan of that sucker bolted up to the side of my place lol. I think I am going to order some of the Optimum seal and I need to get some more towels. I have the Optimum QD and sealant as well.
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #4

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

Check out this one its portable only bad thing is that they come in 100 to 300 gallon so after you need to buy replacement filers which are $70 to $135 so its a little pricy.

CR Spotless Rolling De-ionized Water Filtration System, deionization system, water de-ionizer, purified water systems, cr-spotless, spot free rinse,

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Yeah, too rich for my blood man. I think I will just pick up that blower. When you refer to the QD method for drying, do you dry the entire car, then spray with it and wipe it down?
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #6

jimd@mothers is on a distinguished road

To remove water deposits and to neutralize etching, try a wash of 1 part distilled white vinegar and 1 part water on paint or glass or any surface.

On the glass, you can try our glass-safe Chrome Polish and 0000 steel wool to help remove deposits. You may need to get a cerium oxide polishing kit to remove deeper scratches from the scrubbing pad, and sometimes they're available at auto parts stores.

On paint, sometimes a good carnauba cleaner wax like our California Gold paste on a PowerBall 4Paint will polish out deposits and very light etching.

If you can wash late or early, you're going to be a lot better off. As you work around the car, spray it to keep it from drying, then perform a sheeting rinse to prevent water from forming drops. Dry quickly with a quality microfiber towel (waffle weave is best), and try a spray wax. I like FX Spray Wax because it's quick and easy like a detailer but adds more gloss and resistance to spotting.

Use a wheel cleaner suitable for the type of finish you have on the wheels, and try a spray wax. Simple Green straight can be too harsh, so be careful what you use. Again, I like FX Spray Wax because it's quick and easy.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

That sounds good, I will definitely take this into consideration.
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #8

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

Originally Posted by freefallin2000 View Post
Yeah, too rich for my blood man. I think I will just pick up that blower. When you refer to the QD method for drying, do you dry the entire car, then spray with it and wipe it down?
After you sheet your car you are going to get the blower out put the microfiber waffle weave around your neck, so you don't drop it or let it drag on the ground while using the blower. Once your done blowing water out of all the crevices you are going to go over your entire car with a quick detailing spray aka QD ( the brand is up to you) and spray it on the water that is still on your car this deionizes the hard water and provides lubrication. You would then dry it with the waffle weave towel. This leaves you with zero water spots and a streak free shine every time. After doing this I still like to go over my my entire car with quick detailer and a plush microfiber to bring out a nice shine.

As for mothers products I used to use them in the past they are ok for over the counter products, I would still use meguiars products over mothers any day. If you want better quality products go to detailedimage.com or autogeek.net as for your microfiber needs pakshack.com is the way to go.

Old September 17th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

OK, just for my personal needs and my fiances Jetta, how many and what kind of waffle weave towels would you recommend from pakshak? I am going to pick up that blower and some waffle weave towels. I reaaaaallllyyyy want to get my PC soon but the fiance wouldn't be too happy about that.
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #10

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

You should be ok with 4, two for you two for her. You will only need one towel each car wash if your sheeting the vehicle and using the blower along with quick detailer. I said two because its its a pita to just have one for each, and to have to wash it and dry it every time you wash your vehicle for me every week. So thats why I say two for each also this size is better the others are too large and you will end up either dropping them or having them drag on the floor because they are just too big. Remember you need microfiber detergent for them and also remember that they are washed only by themselves not with other clothes and only with the specified detergent, use hot water and an extra rinse cycle, also when you dry use medium heat and absolutely no lint sheets or softeners as it will ruin them. You need to get at least the 32oz but the gallon would be better but its up to you but if your ordering the blower from chemical guys just get the gallon of microfiber detergent from chemical guys while your at it they have it for like 25 instead of from pakshack whatever you decide to order make sure you do get the detergent and also store them in a dust tight plastic container after washed so they stay clean.

MICROPAK 16" x 27" Ultra-Soft Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel

PakShak Micro Fiber "Formulon 1" Cleaner Concentrate New!

Last edited by dannyboy281; September 17th, 2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:27 AM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Those are definitely on the list Danny. I am going to post a new thread right now....check it out!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:54 AM   #12

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

Just did the only other thing I did forgot to post on the new thread was the microfiber detergent that is in this thread remember. Chemical guys or Pakshak microfiber detergent is essential for keeping them clean.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

OK, will do bud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Advice fro removing VERY hard water spots on windows and hard water in general.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best way to remove hard build up of water spots trueblue01bullitt General Car Care & Detailing 29 September 15th, 2012 10:44 PM
Couple questions about hard water UrbanRedneck General Car Care & Detailing 10 August 23rd, 2010 01:20 PM
permanent water spots? 08blkgt500 General Car Care & Detailing 24 August 6th, 2009 11:56 PM
Hard Water Spots Cleaner? Garhfer Visual 9 October 12th, 2007 11:41 PM
water spots ByPopularDemand V6 Mustangs 28 June 10th, 2007 05:55 PM