Is it possible for one to wash their car too often?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Car Care & Detailing

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Car-less New Yorker

MTA Ya Bish

NoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to behold

Is it possible for one to wash their car too often?

It's a problem. We're talking literally every third day. I can wash it for free. But still. Do I have a problem here?

This is all before a good polishing too.

2002 Torch Red Mustang GT- Sold
1998 Saturn SL2 Winter Beater Edition - Sold
2002 Ford F-350 7.3 Diesel - Sold
1990 Jeep Cherokee - Sold
2002 Mustang GT - Mineral Gray - Sold
2007 MazdaSpeed6 - Totaled from a drunkard
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.58 @ 122.13

Shaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond repute

Yea if you wash it more than 2 times a week for a month the paint will start to bubble........ I kid you not sir.

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
11.58 @ 122.13
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #3
Back from the Dead

2000 Convertible V6
It doesn't run...

nuStang will become famous soon enoughnuStang will become famous soon enough

I dont know about that^, but i do know its not great for it
MM+Clevage Club Member #2
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #4
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

wrr1020 will become famous soon enough

For a second i thought i was looking at my car, besides the stock grill on yours its exactly the same. As far as washing too much i don't know, mine is garaged so it stays clean most of the time. A quick dusting every day keeps her clean then once every two weeks or so i'll wash it. Claybar along with a polish and wax every six months.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #5
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

v606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to v606er

Originally Posted by Shaun03GT View Post
Yea if you wash it more than 2 times a week for a month the paint will start to bubble........ I kid you not sir.
Proof? I highly doubt that.

Unless you are scrubbing so hard that you scratch it, I can't imagine how it could be 'overwashed.'

Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:07 AM   #6
Car-less New Yorker

MTA Ya Bish

NoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to behold

i've been washing it twice a week for about 8 months now. I polish it probably once a month and wax it usually every 6. It's due for a waxing again in 3 months. The only thing it's done has made my body a mirror.

Honestly though, is that too much? I dry it with a suuuuuuuuuper-soft rubber squeegee to get the water off and then terry-cloths for spots the squeegee can't get. I rarely use warm water. Only when I need to get bugs off. It's always a hand wash, and it's always soft. The only thing rough is the pressure wash.

Last edited by NoColoradoGT; September 28th, 2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #7
Car-less New Yorker

MTA Ya Bish

Originally Posted by wrr1020 View Post
For a second i thought i was looking at my car, besides the stock grill on yours its exactly the same. As far as washing too much i don't know, mine is garaged so it stays clean most of the time. A quick dusting every day keeps her clean then once every two weeks or so i'll wash it. Claybar along with a polish and wax every six months.
Mineral Gray is the best color! Mach 1 Grill Delete is my next exterior mod along with black gloss vinyl letters on the back bumper to match my license plate decklid.

Old September 28th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #8
Regular

Back2Mustangs is on a distinguished road

Edit - you beat me to the post

With regards to the "do I have a problem" question...I used to pull my wheels off with every car-wash and detail all my suspension, fender wells, exhaust pipes, lines, etc... I think you'll be ok, LOL.

Last edited by Back2Mustangs; September 28th, 2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #9
Regular

Back2Mustangs is on a distinguished road

If you really want to look at your car and see it so smooth and slick that you don't get the urge to wash it, then pay someone to buff the clearcoat, and then invest in some nice car polish or sealant like Zaino Bros. Zaino Store
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #10
Car-less New Yorker

MTA Ya Bish

aaaaaallllll my own stuff. =] the only reason I use this place is because my dealer gets use for free and I only use the pressure hose.

and I pull the wheels off too before every show. =/. I clean the engine bay every sunday too. My fiancee really has been on the verge of killing me for months now. It's nice when she helps though.

glad to know i'm not alone on that though! thanks!

Old September 28th, 2010, 03:26 AM   #11

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.58 @ 122.13

Shaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond repute

Nah Im just kidding. To much high pressure washer isnt that good though.

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
11.58 @ 122.13
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #12
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

v606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to v606er

Originally Posted by Shaun03GT View Post
Nah Im just kidding. To much high pressure washer isnt that good though.
I doubt that too. Sure, you could use the 0 tip and get point blank with it and dent the metal, but an ordinary car power washer won't do that....although it will cut your skin...

Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #13
2013 5.0 Deep Impact Blue

johnnyt03gt will become famous soon enough

i wash mine once a week, 'self car wash' 2 weeks is the longest i'll let it go dirty.
hand wash clay bar & tech wax 2.0 every 6 months, interior & engine every 2 months,
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #14

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.58 @ 122.13

For instance, if you have a chip on your paint, and you hit the high pressure water to close to it, the water can get under the paint and cause it to bubble..... Or chip the paint more.

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
11.58 @ 122.13
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #15
Banned

2004 Mustang GT
12.35@114.08 w/ 1.88 60'

dcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to beholddcook_14 is a splendid one to behold

I'm with Shaun, pressure washing a car that has chips and stuff can be a bad thing. Otherwise as long as you're hand washing it the car will be fine. There might be something wrong with you if you're washing your car every three days, but that's another subject

I wash my car every couple of weeks or whatever, it's not perfect paint (chips and little scratches) and it's not a show car. It's a CAR, so I've accepted the fact that it's going to get dirty. I don't let it get real dirty, but I'd rather be wrenching on it every three days rather than cleaning it.
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #16
All Homo All The Time

2003 Mustang GT
Whatever you run plus 5 seconds

Nightmare69 has a spectacular aura aboutNightmare69 has a spectacular aura about

I would hate to pay your water bill.
BLACK STANG CREW MEMBER #30

Old September 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #17
Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT
slow as sin....

pyschopath76 will become famous soon enoughpyschopath76 will become famous soon enough

I wash my car every couple of weeks or whatever, it's not perfect paint (chips and little scratches) and it's not a show car. It's a CAR, so I've accepted the fact that it's going to get dirty. I don't let it get real dirty, but I'd rather be wrenching on it every three days rather than cleaning it.[/QUOTE]

THIS!!!

Military Crew - AZ2(AW)
Black Stang Member #6
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Ford Mustang GT

XectriK is just really niceXectriK is just really niceXectriK is just really niceXectriK is just really niceXectriK is just really nice

I haven't washed my car in like 5 weeks. Yeah. I said it.

Old September 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #19

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

So how do you wash it since you say you just use the pressure washer, but in your picture it has that car wash foam on it from the brush or is that, that foam wax stuff? You shouldnt wash your car every three days unless it is really dirty, I hope you are using proper washing techniques so that you dont put scratches and swirls into your paint. At those car washes if your using the brush your going to scratch the crap out of your car because its full of dirt and grime even if you rinse it before using it. If you are instistant to wash your car every three days I say invest in a rinse-less wash like Optimum No rinse. It will be alot faster than your traditional wash and you dont have to take a high pressure washer to it every three days. Here is the kit but if you already have buckets, grit gaurds, quality microfiber, sheep skin mitt or sponge, detail spray, then all you need is Optimum No rinse which is $15. This is also a great kit for winter washing so your hands dont freeze and since you live in colorado it would be ideal for you. Check out both links like I said if you already have the items in the kit just order what you need. The second link is how you use the product since washing this way requires different techniques.

Pro Kits 60 minute Optimum Wash & Wax Kit | Detailed Image

Wash and Wax in 60 minutes featuring Optimum No Rinse – Detailed Image
Pro Kits 60 minute Optimum Wash & Wax Kit | Detailed Image

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #20
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang Mach1

04Machsy will become famous soon enough

is that car wash on 11th nice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Is it possible for one to wash their car too often?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F-ing car wash scratched my car! workinprogress 99 - 04 19 January 23rd, 2008 06:54 PM
whats the best wash soap to wash car?? droppedbass87 Visual 26 July 13th, 2007 03:36 PM
CAR WASH! marcfiebka Visual 2 June 26th, 2007 10:45 AM