Got the new PC XP/q's about painting and repairing hail damage.
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Car Care & Detailing

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

freefallin2000 is on a distinguished road

Got the new PC XP/q's about painting and repairing hail damage.

I went to a place called Unique Auto just north of Phoenix the other day and pickep up the new XP, 1 LC orange 5.5 and 1 LC white 5.5 (already have 1 of each plus a LC Gray...should be OK with just one Gray, right?). I also picked up a small bottle of No Rinse (any help on how this works would be outstanding) and 1 small bottle of some kind of aircraft leather cleaner/conditioner (guess its suppose to be magical stuff).

At any rate, I think I am pretty much set to detail my old girl once the hail damage gets fixed and possibly the new cowl hood goes on ...we will see about that.....

On another note, a guy that works at a local body shop who also does a lot of side work at his place said he could probably pop all the hail damage dings out for around 5-600...that a good price for about 17 on the rook and 10 more scattered on the quarters and the shelf where the window molding sits?

That being said, I would have around 3-400 left to work with to get a hood and have it painted. I think I would have a little out of pocket coin, but it would be well worth it to get rid of that nast stock hood.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

2000 GT 'vert

bigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sorry, I'm fairly new here but what is a new "PC XP"? It sounds like you're talking about about a computer in the title but you're asking about hail damage repair. I'm lost.

Also, what is "1 LC orange 5.5 and 1 lc white 5.5" etc, etc?

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
Old October 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #3
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by freefallin2000 View Post
I went to a place called Unique Auto just north of Phoenix the other day and pickep up the new XP, 1 LC orange 5.5 and 1 LC white 5.5 (already have 1 of each plus a LC Gray...should be OK with just one Gray, right?). I also picked up a small bottle of No Rinse (any help on how this works would be outstanding) and 1 small bottle of some kind of aircraft leather cleaner/conditioner (guess its suppose to be magical stuff).

You need more pads two orange, two white, and one gray is too little to get the job done. Your going to have to stop half ways and wash your pads then wait till they dry.

Opti-No rinse is easy to use check this out he just uses some more opti products like the QD and the spray wax.

Wash and Wax in 60 minutes featuring Optimum No Rinse – Detailed Image

At any rate, I think I am pretty much set to detail my old girl once the hail damage gets fixed and possibly the new cowl hood goes on..we will see about that.....

On another note, a guy that works at a local body shop who also does a lot of side work at his place said he could probably pop all the hail damage dings out for around 5-600...that a good price for about 17 on the rook and 10 more scattered on the quarters and the shelf where the window molding sits?

If its only like 30 dents total it should be less than that because he is doing paint-less dent repair (PDR) i would offer him like $300-350 thats like $10-12 for each hail dent

That being said, I would have around 3-400 left to work with to get a hood and have it painted. I think I would have a little out of pocket coin, but it would be well worth it to get rid of that nast stock hood.

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,

Last edited by dannyboy281; October 10th, 2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old October 10th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

OK, how many more and of which pads will I need Danny?
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #5

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

2 Orange, 2 White, 1 Gray, 1 Blue (for your sealant or wax if you apply it by machine if not don't get it.) Did you have a tripod for lighting. I told you to get the Surbuf's man haha you would have only needed like three sets because you get six pads and then all you would have needed was one more 1 Gray. It would have been cheaper and you get better results.

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,

Last edited by dannyboy281; October 10th, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Taped half the rear deck lid off and clayed with CLay Magic. See very bottom for list of products used. Turned out good, but need more practice for sure. Took me literally like over an hour to do half my deck lid....It was pretty badly water spotted and scratched however so that may have a lot to do with it.

Both sides-Before and after

After

After

Keep in mind, these are taken with my Blackberry Tour. It took me quite a while. Hit it 3, yes 3 times with Meg's 105 and an LC Orange 6.5" pad, followed with an LC 6.5" White pad and Meg's 205 1 time, then hit it with an LC 5.5" Grey pad and Obsessive Detail sealant 2 times, and proceeded to use a Costco Microfiber and Obsessive Detail Wet wax.

The Wet Wax applied by hand actually put a bunch of little dots everywhere so I think I need to run the PC with a very soft pad. Sorry for always asking this questions, but I think I need more pads boys. I feel like 3 of each color needed would be solid. I like the 6.5" LC ones much better then the 5.5" ones.

At any rate, it turned out pretty well. I should say that I did also pick up a Craftsman duel halogen light stand, with 1000 being the max wattage. How in the hell do I adjust the thing so the lights face down??!! It makes me upset because I had to angle it funny and didn't really have constant light on the paint.
Old October 11th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #7
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Zatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to Zatrekaz

Looks like you are off to a good start. As for the number of pads: Yes, three of each color would be a solid foundation, However it is not nessecary. I personally have:
  • 1x Yellow
  • 1x Orange
  • 2x White
  • 1x Gray
  • 2x Blue

I need to buy another gray.

Normally one pad is enough for an entire car. You simply have to keep cleaning it. I like to clean my pad out after two body panels or one large body panel.

Also, you could of avoided going over it 3 times with 105 if you used a Yellow Pad. They are very aggresive. What speed are you working with and how long are you working the polish? If your doing anything below speed 6 you are wasting your time, but from the pics you seem to be doin good.

As for the spots... I am not sure what to tell you. No wax should leave white spots. Are you sure its the wax and maybe not splatter from one of the polishes or sealant? I would suggest trying some rubbing alcohol and re-sealing/waxing.

The tripod work like: You can not make it point down. The best thing is to sit it on the oppisite side of where you are working and look at it from an angle. For example, for a hood, put the light on the passenger side while you work on the driver side. It will allow you to see the reflection of the lights on your side when you need to.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #8
MM Fanatic

2000 GT 'vert

bigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of light

Looks nice!

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #9

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

Looks good man I say stick with the 5.5" they have better cutting abilities than the 6.5". I like to personally have more pads than less because you don't have to be cleaning the pads. You just get a new clean one toss the dirty pad in a five gallon bucket with hot water dawn or a citrus degreaser and keep moving on. And I can adjust my Craftsman tripod but I got the one that cost $50 its sturdier and the lamps can be adjusted to go side to side and up and down. The $40 one looked weakly build so I got this one but, hey as long as you have lighting you should be good. I found that turning off the other lights in my garage and only using the tripod as my light source worked best at least for me.

Old October 11th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Zatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dannyboy281 View Post
Looks good man I say stick with the 5.5" they have better cutting abilities than the 6.5". I like to personally have more pads than less because you don't have to be cleaning the pads. You just get a new clean one toss the dirty pad in a five gallon bucket with hot water dawn or a citrus degreaser and keep moving on. And I can adjust my Craftsman tripod but I got the one that cost $50 its sturdier and the lamps can be adjusted to go side to side and up and down. The $40 one looked weakly build so I got this one but, hey as long as you have lighting you should be good. I found that turning off the other lights in my garage and only using the tripod as my light source worked best at least for me.
Ya, if you have flourescent(sp) lighting in your garage you might want to turn them off when inspecting the paint. The best light is halogen, xenon, or led. Each one will show different degrees of imperfections.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #11
MM Fanatic

2000 GT 'vert

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz View Post
Ya, if you have flourescent(sp) lighting in your garage you might want to turn them off when inspecting the paint. The best light is halogen, xenon, or led. Each one will show different degrees of imperfections.
damn, you paint looks tits in your sig!

Old October 11th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Thanks guys. Think I will pick up some more pads..but 5.5" seems to take forever lol. I will proba just get those because they are cheaper and use the 6.5" for customer and friends cars. I think I am going to start a little side thing if my apt. complex doesn't care. I actually am in the process of making a flyer to post up on some boards at local places. For the general public, if they saw what I could do, I think folks with nicer cars such as BMW's, Mercades, etc. I could get about $170 out of a full detail.
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #13
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Thanks guys. Think I will pick up some more pads..but 5.5" seems to take forever lol. I will proba just get those because they are cheaper and use the 6.5" for customer and friends cars. I think I am going to start a little side thing if my apt. complex doesn't care. I actually am in the process of making a flyer to post up on some boards at local places. For the general public, if they saw what I could do, I think folks with nicer cars such as BMW's, Mercades, etc. I could get about $170 out of a full detail.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you are not ready to do this as a side money making gig. When did you start detailing? Is this the first time you have detailed your car?

I have been doing this for about a year now, and I am still learning things every single day. I JUST started doing jobs for customers. When you start working on other people's cars, you want to know exactly what you are doing and be able to tackle any problem. That means have a lot of products at your disposal and know what product combinations will get your the desired result.

For example, I had a 2007 Nissan Altima I just did. Silver Metallic paint. The best color IMO to HIDE problems. The customer (My fiancee) wanted the paint cleaned very well, a light polish, and a wax. I choose Opti-Seal for two reasons:
  1. Its a light polish that removes light scratchs and oxidation
  2. It added a coat of sealant at the same time

This meant I could clean, polish, and seal the paint in one pass. The customer was not after perfection.

Another was a 1960 Studebaker. The customer wanted a good removal of swirls and scratches, but not a full removal, and a wax. The intent was to sell the car. So I used M205 for its polishing capibilites and Blackfire Wet Diamond for its GREAT protection and shine additions.

So... I hope I am not rambling, but get some more time/details under your belt before you tackle customers. Because if your mess up, your responsible for that nice high-end car's paint.

Also, $170 is a good price for a One Step polish detail. For a FULL Detail (multi-step polish) I would suggest you charge much more than that. You would be cheating yourself with that price. Full details take a good bit of work. Estimate how many hours it would take you, figure out an hourly rate, and set a price based on that. I charge $250 for a multi-step detail, and $150 for a single-step.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

I actually haven't went through with it yet. And believe me, I know all of those things you already posted. I am going to try and do a couple friends and or co workers cars in the meantime and charge them low rates so they are pleased with the results and service.

I still need to pick up a bunch of product for myself. After I complete my full detail on my car here in the next month or so, it will be roughly the 10th car I have completely detailed from clay bar to wax.

I am aware that I need more experience, but I consider myself a pretty good detailer for being just a "weekend warrior".
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #15
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

I actually haven't went through with it yet. And believe me, I know all of those things you already posted. I am going to try and do a couple friends and or co workers cars in the meantime and charge them low rates so they are pleased with the results and service.

I still need to pick up a bunch of product for myself. After I complete my full detail on my car here in the next month or so, it will be roughly the 10th car I have completely detailed from clay bar to wax.

I am aware that I need more experience, but I consider myself a pretty good detailer for being just a "weekend warrior".
Well, you may be good. I just wanted to make sure. Just keep in mind number of details means little.

I know a lot of people that have "detailed" many cars. Does not mean they did it right Lol.

If you dont mind, what products do you have now, in list form?

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Various Adams polishes and products that are just about gone. Megs 105/205, OD Wet Wax, OD Sealant, various LC pads, OD QD (empty), and a ton of stuff from a local guy that I really don't like. Please don't pick me apart man. I never said I was the best, I simply stated that my opinion that I am a fairly good detailer. I definitely don't have the skill or knowledge that you or Danny do, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. I also have a shop vac, tons of MF towels, a Porter Cable XP, and various tire shines and dressings.

I need to pick up some more product. Its just my and my fiancees car for now...but I hope to someday pick up some more clients to make a little extra coin. I appreciate all the advice and talk on this forum and others. I need to hone my skills, and this is a testament (the pictures above) that I can do this and that I am in the right direction.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #17
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Various Adams polishes and products that are just about gone. Megs 105/205, OD Wet Wax, OD Sealant, various LC pads, OD QD (empty), and a ton of stuff from a local guy that I really don't like. Please don't pick me apart man. I never said I was the best, I simply stated that my opinion that I am a fairly good detailer. I definitely don't have the skill or knowledge that you or Danny do, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. I also have a shop vac, tons of MF towels, a Porter Cable XP, and various tire shines and dressings.

I need to pick up some more product. Its just my and my fiancees car for now...but I hope to someday pick up some more clients to make a little extra coin. I appreciate all the advice and talk on this forum and others. I need to hone my skills, and this is a testament (the pictures above) that I can do this and that I am in the right direction.
I am not trying to pick you apart. I really don't mean to come off that way. Its just that I see a lot of people come through here, do a few details, say they can do this for money, and then come back later asking why they can't get customers or why they couldn't correct X car's paint.

I just want you to be fully prepared, thats all. If I came across as picking you apart I did not mean to. My apologies.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Na, don't worry about it brother. I really appreciate all the help man. Keep the good stuff coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Got the new PC XP/q's about painting and repairing hail damage.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my check for the hail damage. freefallin2000 99 - 04 16 October 11th, 2010 06:04 PM
repairing all the little problems zigbigadoru 96 - 98 3 April 7th, 2009 01:31 AM
Repairing rims? Breakout The Clubhouse 6 March 5th, 2009 10:34 PM
UPDATE to my previous hail damage thread Dennis The Clubhouse 13 June 27th, 2008 01:30 AM
Anyone ever get hail damage repaired? Dennis The Clubhouse 11 June 17th, 2008 12:09 AM