how to get rid of these water spots?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Car Care & Detailing

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #1
MMM JELLO!!!

2003 mustang GT

esonu is on a distinguished road

how to get rid of these water spots?

well i have a redfire 03 gt. when i bought it (march 11) it was in great condition paint wise except for the rock chips in the front of the car. well now theres alot of minimal water spots and its not as smooth as before. i have meguiars clay kit, ultimate polish and liquid caranauba wax. how would i go about usung this and would i be needing something else? ive looked at videos but they pretty much do it on spotless cars so just want advice. if u want pics let me know i will try to get them up.

2003 Mustang GT Manual
18in staggered fr500s,Mach 1 lip, mach 1 grill
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

brokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to behold

Pictures always help!

First step - wash the car with something that will strip any wax already on the car.
2nd- clay the car, make sure you're using a good quick-detailer (mothers showtime instant detailer is excellent, but since you have the kit what came in it is fine)
3rd - if the water spots are still there, I would recommend getting some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and some elbow grease and go to town. You can follow up with ultimate polish if you want/need.

If you can't get them off with that, you'll need to seriously consider how bad it looks to you and if you want/can afford to get into machine compounding/polishing. This is a decent investment (I'd say minimum $300 to get what you need) and you can find more information about that in the stickies and other threads. Good luck!
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Regular

2003 Mustang GT

Gebor is on a distinguished road

Only way to get water etching out is to sand and repaint
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Enthusiast

2003 Mach 1

glittle75 is a jewel in the roughglittle75 is a jewel in the roughglittle75 is a jewel in the roughglittle75 is a jewel in the rough

^^ not true. A DA with a good cut pad and some compound will take them out. if they are deeper than that, which most aren't, then a wetsand and buff will get rid of them. The only time you really need to sand and repaint is when you have scratches, chips, etc that have taken basecoat off. And even then you could touch it up first.
I had water spots all over my car when i bought it. and they had been there for years. 6-8 hours with a PC later, and they are gone now.
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Banned

luke1333 will become famous soon enoughluke1333 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by glittle75 View Post
^^ not true. A DA with a good cut pad and some compound will take them out. if they are deeper than that, which most aren't, then a wetsand and buff will get rid of them. The only time you really need to sand and repaint is when you have scratches, chips, etc that have taken basecoat off. And even then you could touch it up first.
I had water spots all over my car when i bought it. and they had been there for years. 6-8 hours with a PC later, and they are gone now.
Yeah I thought you could buff them out. I was like repaint??? No no no lol

Sent from HTC Rezound on autoguide app
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #6
V6inator

2005 Mustang V6
14.7@92.29

amustangrocks is on a distinguished road

if its rough feeling paint, the clay bar with smooth it out nice. then a swirl remover/polish will clean it up nicer. works best with a buffer, then it also remove swirls good too. my red car is a battle, my water here sucks. this summer i`m gonna make a house filter setup on a stand that i can add inline to the water hose for washing.

05 V6 auto base,torch,the"V6inator" jlt/sct/93 race, udp, shorties/jba stainless h/gt muffs, frpp 7.5 t lok/motive 3.73, upr chrome molly rear uca, lca`s,gt brakes, takeoff leather seats, mycolor, amustangrocksleather armrest, e brake, + stuff
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Car-less New Yorker

MTA Ya Bish

NoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to beholdNoColoradoGT is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gebor View Post
Only way to get water etching out is to sand and repaint
Terrible information.

With a decent compound and a pad with enough cut, you can achieve wetsand like results without the risk of sanding through the paint.

Depending on how deep the etching is, yes a Porter Cable may not take everything out and you may need to utilize a rotary, but a compound with a heavy cut and a decent pad with take them right out.

2002 Torch Red Mustang GT- Sold
1998 Saturn SL2 Winter Beater Edition - Sold
2002 Ford F-350 7.3 Diesel - Sold
1990 Jeep Cherokee - Sold
2002 Mustang GT - Mineral Gray - Sold
2007 MazdaSpeed6 - Totaled from a drunkard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: how to get rid of these water spots?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water spots... ZoomZoomMFer General Car Care & Detailing 10 February 8th, 2012 09:55 PM
water spots? LAZER RED GT02 General Car Care & Detailing 14 June 11th, 2011 01:03 PM
water spots -.- emg22189 General Car Care & Detailing 5 February 28th, 2011 10:02 AM
Advice fro removing VERY hard water spots on windows and hard water in general. freefallin2000 General Car Care & Detailing 12 September 23rd, 2010 10:21 AM
water spots ByPopularDemand V6 Mustangs 28 June 10th, 2007 06:55 PM