Some tips on cleaning rims and getting them shiny?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Car Care & Detailing

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1
MM Fanatic

Codeman will become famous soon enoughCodeman will become famous soon enough

Some tips on cleaning rims and getting them shiny?

hey guys so I have a couple questions. I read through some of the info at the top of the page and learned alot about cleaning my car.

I just got some 17" deep dish bullitts and I have simply been washing them with soap and rinsing with water. then drying.

My question is, should I do anything else and put anything on the rims to keep the nice finish? I have heard some ppl say wax them but others say that attracts brake dust.

UDP, CAI, True Duals, LTs, 91 Tune from TT, 3.73 gears, Tlok,Windstar upper, GT TB, Ported lower, Comp 218/226 cam, FRPP C Springs, J&M LCA, Tokico Blue shocks and struts, and J&M Full Length Subframe Connectors
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Banned

luke1333 will become famous soon enoughluke1333 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
hey guys so I have a couple questions. I read through some of the info at the top of the page and learned alot about cleaning my car.

I just got some 17" deep dish bullitts and I have simply been washing them with soap and rinsing with water. then drying.

My question is, should I do anything else and put anything on the rims to keep the nice finish? I have heard some ppl say wax them but others say that attracts brake dust.
I have sealant and wax on mine and it repels brake dust I think

Sent from my HTC Rezound with Autoguide.com App
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #3
MM Fanatic

Ok what brand was it? Does it work pretty good? And does it make them have a good shine.

UDP, CAI, True Duals, LTs, 91 Tune from TT, 3.73 gears, Tlok,Windstar upper, GT TB, Ported lower, Comp 218/226 cam, FRPP C Springs, J&M LCA, Tokico Blue shocks and struts, and J&M Full Length Subframe Connectors
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

2008 GT/CS

mrperple is a splendid one to beholdmrperple is a splendid one to beholdmrperple is a splendid one to beholdmrperple is a splendid one to beholdmrperple is a splendid one to beholdmrperple is a splendid one to beholdmrperple is a splendid one to behold

I have Wheel Wax Rim & Wheel Guard on mine. Don't really notice much of a difference on the brake dust as I try and wash my car once a week. As for the shine a big thumb up!
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Banned

Ok what brand was it? Does it work pretty good? And does it make them have a good shine.
Blackfire wet diamond topped with dodo supernatural on my chrome wheels and blackfire wet diamond with midnight sun on my stock bullitts both do well

Sent from my HTC Rezound with Autoguide.com App
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #6
MM Fanatic

Thanks, I will have to try some of that out and see if I like it and if it works.

I am not too worried about brake dust either because I wash my car 1 time a week for the most part but I would just rather not attract dust to the rims to make them dirty.

Old May 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Wanna be show worthy.

2004 Mustang GT
N/A

B's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud ofB's04gt has much to be proud of

BFWD is amazing stuff. I would coat them twice with that and if you want to go an extra step throw some wax on them

Mods: -Eibach Pro Kit - K&N - Tuned for 91 octane - SLP - Visual Shit-

i love Uranus
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #8
MM Fanatic

Ok thanks.

What about tires? I know that some ppl say tire black looks like crap but I have been using armor all tire black and I spary it on a rag and wipe on the sidewall. It seems like it does not get that thick when I do it and makes them look pretty black. What do you guys do?

Old May 28th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Banned

Ok thanks.

What about tires? I know that some ppl say tire black looks like crap but I have been using armor all tire black and I spary it on a rag and wipe on the sidewall. It seems like it does not get that thick when I do it and makes them look pretty black. What do you guys do?
i just use otc black magic tire wet. i just apply lightly and lasts forever for me i mean i dress like every couple weeks and i daily drive it and wash it a few times in between coats and they are never dull and no overspray down side of car. i do let it sit overnight before i drive on it though. if i drive right after i put on i do wipe down
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #10
Obsessed Detailer

2012 Brembo GT Premium

ModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to behold

i used jetseal 109 on my chrome FRs, worked pretty well, i wash my car once a week so nothing can really get stuck on them in that period of time.

Always Clean Crew Founder Detailed Reflections LLC
2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|HMP Tune
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #11
wiggety wiggety whack!

brokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to beholdbrokenweasel is a splendid one to behold

Even if wax attracts brake dust it will make your wheels easier to clean each time. Collinite 845 is a good cheap long-lasting wax that will hold up to the heat your wheels and brakes are subject to.

As for tires, I'm using Opti-bond at the moment, it works well but I like a nice matte finish on my tires rather than shiny. Clean your tires off with Mothers Wheel and Tire Cleaner and your dressing will look better and last longer.
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #12
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

Goose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant future

I use auto glym tire shine and their custom wheel cleaner, both work really well

i try to keep my wheels clean but being a dd and short on time it doesnt always get done

here is a before and after using the custom wheel cleaner, no wax or anything (going to have to look into that)

and back to dirty need to clean them again

i usually just take the spray bottle to the car wash, spray each wheel then put the coins in the machine and spray off the wheels then spray off the car, drive out, and wipe them down with a microfibre
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Official Thread Killer

OhSix Sexxer>OhSeven Sexy
00.00@000.00

RenegadeRukus has much to be proud ofRenegadeRukus has much to be proud ofRenegadeRukus has much to be proud ofRenegadeRukus has much to be proud ofRenegadeRukus has much to be proud ofRenegadeRukus has much to be proud ofRenegadeRukus has much to be proud ofRenegadeRukus has much to be proud of

I tend to try to stick to the same line when doing wheels and tires. So I chose to deal with Turtle Wax "ICE" line. Drop the
on, scrub in, soak then spray off; Spray on the
, rub in then dab off with a rag or blue shop "paper towel"

Turns out pretty good, for the wheels I generally just use the W&T cleaner and a small handled microfiber scrubber softly.

I'm sure the ICE line isn't the best, but it hasn't shown me any flaws and my tires stay black for about a week... and in AZ where sand is 100% and blowing half the time... a week of black tires is good!

'06 v6 - sold
'07 GT/CS - 10/10/13 SR Springs, AirRaid CAI, Flow AT-SS, FRPP Cams
(LTs, Hpipe and ATAKs to follow)
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I wish I had a Big Ole Vagina
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Well my ass ain't going to fill it self motherfucker.
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #14
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

Goose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant future

the auto glym stuff you just lightly spray on and let it dry, no wiping or anything works great.
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #15
Regular

1998 Mustang GT
Slow

Hotshot_98GT will become famous soon enough

I've used all sorts of tire dressings over the years, but the best one I have used by far is the Meguiars Gold Class Endurance tire GEL! Easy to apply and doesnt get all over your rims like sprays do, great clean shine, and lasts for weeks. Also won't turn your tires brown like the cheaper kinds. One bottle will last you a long time. a little goes a long way with this stuff. Definately worth trying out IMO
just do not glob it on the tires or it will spin off.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #16
Obsessed Detailer

2012 Brembo GT Premium

ModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to beholdModdedMach is a splendid one to behold

I use Mothers tire and wheel cleaner, that stuff is amazing, my wheels look pretty dang clean even after a week of driving, but when i wash my car, i start with my wheels with the Mothers, spray on the whole wheel and tire, clean the inside barrel with a long brush, rinse, then when i foam my car, i wash the wheels with a designated wheel MF sponge using the foam while the car is soaking, then the wheels are done then i rinse the foam off the whole car and get to washing.

2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Banned

2003 Son1c Blue 4.6L

SON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud of

Mothers, cg wheel wax, haven't found a favorite tire shine yet
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #18
Obsessed Detailer

2012 Brembo GT Premium

Sonic! ^^ CG forever tire and trim gel, its AMAZING, super black, if you apply it with a foam applicator, rub it in really well, then buff off the excess youll get a matte/satin black finish, if you want something shinier, just repeat step 1 again, and it will up the shine, love the stuff, tires stay black for EVER-which is a week for me, cause i wash my car once a week lol. But they would stay black id say at least 2 maybe 3 weeks.

2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:36 AM   #19
Banned

2003 Son1c Blue 4.6L

SON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud of

Does ag carry it yet? Because I'm not down with cg shipping. You should work for cg Mach lol, or atleast receive the sponsorship you deserve, I'm going to find 4 tire gel prospects and do a 4 way tire test
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Obsessed Detailer

2012 Brembo GT Premium

^^ i should get a sponsorship, the secret behind there shipping is to order more than a couple things, its like 9 bucks to ship something, its still like 9 bucks to ship like 6 things lol.

I just like CG man, certain things by them, there tire and trim stuff is amazing.

2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Some tips on cleaning rims and getting them shiny?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips on cleaning wheels? HiMyNameIsWyatt General Car Care & Detailing 6 February 19th, 2011 01:43 AM
rim cleaning tips? cbrown54 General Car Care & Detailing 5 October 24th, 2008 04:49 PM
Any Tips on cleaning up my motor?? Traidmarx 5.0 Mustangs 15 October 6th, 2008 02:29 PM
Tips on Cleaning Wheels rsk0528 99 - 04 24 March 7th, 2008 08:14 PM
Rim type & cleaning tips recklesstim Visual 5 May 7th, 2007 11:47 AM