Modded Mustang Forums banner

looking to become a guru

4K views 89 replies 9 participants last post by  Shook1db 
#1 ·
ive been shifting thru a lot of the noob info on the stickies and its a lot to take in because of opinions. since i just found out autogeek is so close to me i want to get some superior products more so then OTC items.

i was hoping you guys could give me a list of your favorite products for a combined amount under $150-$200 that are available from autogeeks or OTC I am hoping to surprise my GF with a quality detail job and learn some products.

i have mother clay bar already but do not have a DA at this time so something i can do by hand if possible if not, no worries i do plan on getting a DA sometime.

TL;DR

$150-$200 from Autogeek for

Polish-
Glaze-
Sealant-
Wax-
MISC. needed items to apply

#2 ·
start with basics and work your way up
two buckets (pick these up at lowes for a couple bucks)
two grit guards
a quality wash mitt, preferably two
microfibers, quality microfibers and a lot of them atleast 12
cg wash and gloss a cap of it = 5gallons of soap
black light for your glaze (also an aio/sealant type but don't expect much out of those two qualities)
what's your budget? if you're really budgeted get xxx, otherwise get 50/50 both made by chemical guys
pickup some applicators
you'll need a trim product from cg I'd probably go with hypercoat g6 or forever black trim gel
but with my list so far you would be much better off ordering through chemical guys, as they're the only ones who don't try to rape on microfibers, no one offers quality microfibers for a good price and it really pisses me off I'm not paying 7 bucks a towel I'll pay 2 max / rant :lol
mothers foaming wheel and tire cleaner, can pick this up otc if you don't order through ag, if you do order through them get the fx version

don't waste your time and money polishing by hand, just use a glaze until you have a polisher, chrisj is selling his porter cable w/ the megs mf system for a great price, I'd talk to him
glass cleaner, for now a bottle of window clean will be fine
inner clean is a great interior cleaner and protectant
allclean has a great dilution ratio, I have not used it yet but it will more than likely replace my apc+
if you have any stains etc grab cgs lightning upholstery cleaner and stain remover
grab one of their air fresheners, they're great

not to push so much cg, but I have the most experience with their line and I like that they have a product for everything, sometimes they have too many products for everything though lol
but since you more than likely need MF's they'll be the way to go for your first big order, honestly just suck it up and buy 24 quality microfibers, like the chubby's and the el gordos from them come in 12 packs, you'll thank me later especially once you start correcting paint
use coupon code gold over 150 to get 5% off

#3 ·
i just got an email for a super bucket deal from CG looks like some good ****. i might be ordering it.

Reactions: kikcer2
#4 ·
opening email..lol

http://www.chemicalguys.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=255&Click=46830
they really push jetseal.. -> still one of the better kits I've seen them put together also see that they're offering 2 free 16 oz over 150 again now, thats great

this isn't a bad deal, I actually have this and I ****ing love that bucket, use it to hold tons of microfibers and whatever products I bring to car shows or when I'm mobile detailing
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Professional_Auto_Detailing_Bucket_With_Grit_Guard_p/acc_101.htm

#5 ·
Well that's kinda why I listed the things I got a bucket full off microfibers already.

Thanks for a bunch of the info tho.

Anyone recommend zaino? Idk I don't see how this product last for years like some people are saying.

sent from the abyss

#6 ·
well if you NEED to buy from Autogeek.
get their Griots DA with the pads. 5.5" pads are better but for the time the 6.5" will work just need to learn technique.
thats 129
Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher
Compound CarPro Fixer for 12.99
CarPro Fixer Polishing Compound
Meguiars Ultimate Polish 8.99
Meguiars Ultimate Polish, meguiars car polish, meguiars polishes, mcguire's
Chemical guys XXX wax 24.99
Chemical Guys XXX Hard Core Carnauba Paste Wax + Advanced Polymers
6 pack rolled edge MF towels.
Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber Towels, microfiber detailing towels, microfiber buffing towels, detail cloth, micro fiber
thats just a hair under 200 and get you a little kit on your way

#7 ·
Very nice Vader, I can pick it up on my way home from work, so I can pretty much get non-OTC products OTC. I like how I gave you a limit of $200 not including a DA and you included it anyhow

sent from the abyss

#9 ·
Well my car is black but this is more for my girlfriend who has a 2005 dream cruiser that's called deep lava red but its like a brown purple. Has purple and Brown flakes

sent from the abyss

#10 ·
Okay so we got a few list

Son1c
Misc-
2 buckets - $6
2 Grit Guards-$18
2/3 wash mitts -$5/$25
Trim product- Hyper-coat g6 - $26
Subtotal- $55-$75​
Wash-CG wash & gloss- $9-$28
Glaze- CG Blacklight - $28
Wax-
CG xxx -$25
CG 50/50 -$60
Subtotal- $62-$116​
Total$117-$191
that's not bad if i stay on the lower side of that i can go buy even more microfibers.and get a bottle of nonsense while im at it.

then we have vaders which doesnt seem as inclusive yet more inclusive at the same time as it includes a DA, a DA ive been eyeing at that

Griots DA - $129
car pro compound - $13
Meg Polish - $9
CG xxx wax - $25

Total - $176​

which leaves room for MF and others.

i do feel like both of these are missing something but i cannot put my finger one it. vader has the compound and polish which i would use for paint correction but does that work as a sealant also or does the XXX have sealant properties? and then i have the blacklight glaze from son1c which has some sealant properties also so i am thinking the XXX works to seal also. please correct me if im wrong.

and i think whatever i end up doing im going to get the dodo juice.

#12 ·
You don't need a sealant. I hardly ever use them. But he is right your spending over 50 so get 2oz sample of black fire wet diamond. That's a good sealant and do about 6 cars out of that bottle. I listed a 6 pack of good mf towels in my list for 17.99. They are good to use on paint only. They are super soft and won't scratch

#15 ·
i havent bought anything yet. and how haven't i followed your suggestions, with the subtraction of wheel cleaner, MF (cause i have a butt load already) , and interior products because i already have those plus her interior is pristine.

#14 ·
Don't worry about buying expensive shampoos for now. Meguiars gold class or mothers wash you can get at Walmart cheap is perfectly fine. Also the microfiber chinelle wash mitts with the funny looking finger things on them you can get at any store will also be just find for $5. Grit guards are nice but if you don't have them at first not end of the world. Using 2 buckets one to rinse mitt in then dunk into the soap bucket will be perfectly fine. I use grit guards but honestly I think they are a gimmick. Your telling me no dirt is going to come back up through those big holes.

#16 ·
i think they are a gimmick also but i do see some science in that idea. it is going to stabilize the water on the bottom but i dont know anyone who is into detailing whos car is going to be that disgustingly dirty that they will help all that much.

#26 ·
ehhh personally I wouldnt buy half that stuff
the El gordos are fine for misc but not paint
dont see need to waste money on air freshner
you can buy Ultima interior shampoo that is better for 3bucks more
id choose PERL over the CG dressing
the bucket is over priced. Dont buy those buckets with names on them and get sucked in..Just get some at lowes or home depot for 2bucks and down the road get a grit guard. like I said they are not going to make or break your paint and I will bet they hardly do **** anyway. I have them but I feel they really are not doing crap.
I will stick behind my list as the best way to get into detailing starting off. Atleast you can get the cars looking good. if you just buy expensive stuff to wash and wax its not going to make it look ANY better then if you went and bought some shitty ass OTC products since you did zero paint correction to begin with to take advantage of anything else.

#20 ·
Well you asked for a list of favorite and suggested products / what you need non OTC
So I offered a list, turned it into a picture just now, for the items i suggested its better to go through cg for this order, 2 free 16 oz over 150 is a pretty solid deal

Also I'm a huge believer in grit guards, only way you can negate their effectivity if you're swirling the water around too hard lol

If you want a polisher I'd wait for a Christmas sale from dd and then pick it up with the 5" backing plate

#33 ·
It really is that simple. It is very easy to go overboard and fall for alot of hype. Paint correction is the most important to looking good. After that its just preference on what products you want to use. You dont need to go crazy w/ the expensive products, there are alot a good ones for a reasonable price. Trial and error.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.