Modded Mustang Forums banner

Mustang overheating problems

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  stang fanatic 
#1 ·
I have a 86 Mustang 4 cil. 4 speed trans.100,000 miles.It satrted reading on the temp. gauge it hot as soon as i start the car cold.So i replaced with new thermostat,radiator cap,bottom radiator hose,radiator,water pump and two new hoses connecting to the heater core and i even put a new heater core in.And it still reads hot.so i took the thermostat out and still the same thing.i checked everything twice and no leaks.Could this be my cooling temp.sending unit,thats the last thing i can think of.Any help will do.

#2 ·
Devildog said:
I have a 86 Mustang 4 cil. 4 speed trans.100,000 miles.It satrted reading on the temp. gauge it hot as soon as i start the car cold.So i replaced with new thermostat,radiator cap,bottom radiator hose,radiator,water pump and two new hoses connecting to the heater core and i even put a new heater core in.And it still reads hot.so i took the thermostat out and still the same thing.i checked everything twice and no leaks.Could this be my cooling temp.sending unit,thats the last thing i can think of.Any help will do.
Sounds like you have replaced everything else.............

#3 ·
I've replace everything so far and i'm getting mad couse i can't figure this out.So i replace the cooling tem.sending unit and checked the fuses all ok.And still the gauge reads hot but the car isn't over heating.do i need to buy a new gauge or gauge cluster?Or buy another cooling unit switch which is $40 something dollors.

#6 ·
Hi, Just wanted to relate a overheating story. I have a 2001 Mustang with 191,000 miles (I put quite a bit of seat time in in the course of my work) and I have had very few problems with it. However about 2 years ago I started noticing that it would overheat when I got off the highway into stop and go city traffic. Car ran cool and the a/c ran fine at highway speed. It only happened on hot days when I was running my airconditoner. The temp gauge would start rising and the a/c would start blowing hot air. I replaced the t-stat and flushed it...that didn't fix it. It started getting worse, replaced the temp sensor...problem persisted. Put in a new high volume water pump and new t-stat, problem persisted. My mechanic then did a test on the a/c system. found a ridiculously high overpressure on the high pressure side of the system. He de-pressureized the system, and refilled it. Problem persisted. It looks like there are one or more parts in the a/c system that have failed, and need to be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.