2002 Mustang GT rear disc brake Question
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Tech

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

lucidsoul5 is on a distinguished road

2002 Mustang GT rear disc brake Question

I have a 2002 Mustang GT and I am attempting to change the rear disc brakes. I undid the caliper bolt and slid the caliper upright to attempt to change the pads but the piston is still compressed too tight to let me get the pads out. Now I read that there is a tool to reset the piston and I assume that I need to reset the piston before I attempt to remove the old pads. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What I need to know is where do I use this special piston resetting tool is it in front of me or behind the rotor? I am still used to using a clamp so this is different. Also what is the tool called so I know what to ask for?
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
11.47@120.58

mdvaldosta will become famous soon enough

It's like a little cube with notches on it, you put it on a ratchet and twist the caliper piston back in. You get it at auto parts stores, it's pretty cheap.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3

I looked up the tool your talking about. One more question. Where is the notch to wind back the piston on the caliper. Im sure Ill see it when I take off the tire again but Id rather have an idea where to look.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM   #4
MM Fanatic

6.2L/403hp/6spd/AWD/5400l

99mustang232 is on a distinguished road

the notches you turn are on the caliper piston behind the brake pad, also make sure you don't have your e-brake engaged.
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #5

Thank you guys for your help. I got the tool and changed my brakes. Saving me a nice amount of cash. Without people like you helping the rest of us we would be forced to overpay for easy maintenance.
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #6

Ohh one more thing. It was kind of a pain in the ass, winding the piston back. But still worth it.
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #7
MM Fanatic

6.2L/403hp/6spd/AWD/5400l

99mustang232 is on a distinguished road

yeah i don't have the tool, but use a set of flat tipped pliers to do the same thing, but you have to be really careful when doing it as you found out there is a little resistence there so it is easy to mare the caliper piston surface.
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM   #8

2002 Mustang GT

sikorski04 is on a distinguished road

Caliper tool

OTC/Disc brake piston tool (4589) | Brake Tool | AutoZone.com

Buy the tool displayed above. Though none of the surfaces will fit, a few modifications will help the problem.

On the surface with four small pins, cut two DIAGONAL pins with a hack saw, and file down if necessary. This will provide enough distance to smoothing grasp the slots of the piston.

The slots are located behind the rotor. You will have to take off the caliper, and the you will see the piston. Use this tool to compress it. Very easy.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:29 PM   #9
Regular

94 v6 mustang

Puffy93 is on a distinguished road

Also if you have abs you need to crack the bleeder screw before forcing the piston back. If you don't you run the Risk of ruining a abs unit which is probably around $2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-tech/3258-2002-mustang-gt-rear-disc-brake-question.html
Posted By For Type Date
How do you change rear disc brakes on 2002 mustang v6 This thread Refback June 27th, 2013 03:59 PM
How do you change rear disc brakes on 2002 mustang v6 - Bing This thread Refback June 15th, 2013 03:43 PM

Threads Similar to: 2002 Mustang GT rear disc brake Question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disc Brake Conversion gotboost562 5.0 Mustangs 9 February 3rd, 2013 08:28 AM
Disc Brake Conversion wonders_of_a_V8 Classic Mustangs 6 January 20th, 2009 09:16 AM
90 rear disc brake conversion 7-up man 5.0 Mustangs 8 July 1st, 2007 02:56 PM
2002-front disc brakes-standard 6 cyl mustang Skee General Tech 0 October 21st, 2006 10:28 PM
Got another disc brake problem. lucidsoul5 General Tech 0 July 24th, 2006 10:46 PM