Modded Mustang Forums banner

Is this worth it?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Kurb appeel 
#1 ·
I found a 1982 302 with under 50k miles. $200

Original Specs
The 1982 5.0 High Output was rated at 157 horsepower at 4,200 rpm and 140 ft.-lbs. of torque at 2,400 rpm.

As you can see they are not very good haha but would it be worth having the block and putting a stroker kit and heads and all that jazz? Or would it not be worth it?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

#2 ·
I would do it, the heads are the problem area with that engine in particular. The block will have the same bore and stroke as the higher HP version so just find a 95-99 explorer in a junk yard with the 5.0 and get the heads and intake and you will be more than satisfied. It's been a while since I checked but I believe the explorer had about 250-260 HP. That was the first extreme MOD I did to my grandma's 95 gt. It was like night and Day, of course I was 16 and she had to come get me from jail but when she drove it I wasn't in as much trouble lol. And since it would be apart anyway get a good cam and some roller rockers just for fun. I had a buck 50 in the heads and intake so you could have a beast for about a thousand dollars all in. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.