Modded Mustang Forums banner

Water/meth to allow less timing retard with nitrous

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  NeverEnuff 
#1 ·
Anyone try this? Seems it would improve response from nitrous in two ways.
One, would allow you to not take a large timing hit. In fact, would theoretically allow more timing advance.
Two, would enhance the nitrous by improving it's cooling effect thus raising air density even further.

I've been using water meth for years, to improve power in both NA and boosted applications in this desert heat. But haven't been using it with nitrous

#2 ·
Well **** it, I guess I'll just have to experiment.
Tests and results will be posted for future reference.
Let's hope I'm on to something here.

#3 ·
The nitrous already cools the air pretty good. So the only effect I see you getting from meth is added octane. So being that...why not mix some racegas in when you plan on spraying at the track...

only prob is...if this is a street car and don't 'plan' on spraying..I could see where this could be beneficial...Don't worry about adding 50/50 mis tho...the water just helps 'cool' more...you don't need that when spraying -degree air in the inlet...just use straight meth to get the added octane you need.

Another thing I did back in 2006 was use a dedicated stand alone fuel system...with 1 gal of 'nitrous' fuel...ie race gas...it would only turn on and run when you arm the system...and use 110 or whatever racegas you want WHEN spraying the juice...this way...added octant and never have to pull timing.

#4 ·
When I'm at the track, I mix a measured amount of 118 in with a few gallons of good ol premium, bringing it up to the desired octane.
A stand alone system would be a nice thing to have, with a wet nitrous system. Would simplify things quite a bit. I'll have to look into that.

The meth idea was in fact for the street side, when WOT is "accidentally" hit with the system armed. Well, AZ has no laws agaisnt nitrous on the street so as long as I (do)n't speed, it can be purposefully. ;)

I don't want to run race fuel on the street, and be burning it up while crusing around. That's just more funk on the spark plugs and what not. Plus, that **** gets expensive as hell. A 55gal drum only lasts so long.

Good point on the lack of a need for water in the mix. That will take quite a bit of experimenting as I've never toyed with straight meth. Only various ratios of water and meth.

Better book a couple hours on the dyno and get some serious data logging done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.