Modded Mustang Forums banner

Building a 408w, need advice/help

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Steffan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I saw a couple of posts here, and quickly signed up to ask my questions, because i'm sure you are able to help me.

First of, English is not my native language, so there will be grammar and spelling mistakes, if you do not understand what i'm writing, then feel free to ask :)

Warning, this will be a long post.

What i want is to replace my stock 351w in my 1970 Mach 1 with a 408w stroker that has 400+HP and 500+ torque (i want low-rpm power)

Here are the problems:
1. I have not build an engine before (i however, have a mechanic helping me put the parts together)
2. I live in Denmark, and if i buy a crate engine, it will most likely end up in the customs/zoll and i have to pay an extra 30% on the price, which i don't really want to.
3. I have no idear what i'm doing regarding finding the right parts (that's why i need your advice), so please explain everything to me like i'm 5 years old. If you have the time, please explain WHY i need the parts/options you suggest

I have narrowed it down to the following options (will be explained more in details later in this post):
1. Get an old used block, get it honed and bored, order a stroker kit and the top-end parts and put it all together (should be the most fun option, right?)
2. Order a short block that already has the stroker kit installed and then all i need is just the top-end parts (a little more expensive than option 1)
3. Order a finished long block, or complete crate engine (expensive and many says that most crate engines are crap except the really really expensive ones)
4. Get someone to build the engine for me (too expensive, i have asked around for prices)

I have been recommended all the 3 options that i have. And i must say, i kind of like the idear of option 1 or option 2. I would really like to build my own engine, but i don't know how.

What i want to use the engine for:
Street driven, daily driver engine with low-end power. I will mostly be driving at the speeds of 35-75 MPH.
I don't want high RPM power, i will not race the engine (maybe once or twice to see how fast it is)
I want to be able to cruise around, have a stable idle, and be able to burn some rubber when i want to.

budget:
$8000 including shipping to Denmark or Germany.

Here is the parts i have found for my options so far (i have not ordered anything yet):
option 1:
I have found a used 74 blok for cheap, but i hear that 73 and later are weaker so i don't really want to buy that one. Finding a block in Denmark is hard so if i go with this options i will of course wait until i have the right block.
If i found a good block i would buy a 408w stroker kit with dish (22cc) pistons (P4082F-SCA-30-F408 - Ford 408W Dish Top -24.0cc Scat-Based Engine Kit)
and the following for the top end:
Edelbrock #2090 (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-2090/overview/) top end kit (185cc, too small?) (I like kits, because i have no idear what to order if it wasn't a kit)
Edelbrock #9656 hardened steel pushrods (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-9656/overview/)
Edelbrock #97453 roller lifters that should fit right into an old none-lifter block with the cam from the edelbrock kit (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-97453/overview/)
Comp cams #1632-16 Ultra Pro magnum rocker arms (they should be stronger and lighter than aluminium rockers, says comp cam) (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cca-1632-16/overview/)

option 2:
The same top-end parts as option 1, but the following short block with scat forged, scat H beam and 22cc dish: 408 do it yourself liberator short blocks
(is this shortblock crap??)

option 3:
I was looking a lot a ATK crate engines, they have great price. But when i posted at a forum asking about them, almost everyone said they where crap and broke fast.

Here are my questions:
Note: I have a shiny new Edelbrock 750CFM carb on the stock 351w that i plan on using on the new engine. And i have some new headers with oval ports laying around (don't know if the oval ports will fit the heads i get)

1. Are the parts i have found the right ones, or am i missing some important stuff?
2. Do i need anything else in option 1+2?
3. I have a stock 351w, can i take all other parts like oil pan, valve covers and so on from that?
4. Any other suggestions on what i should do?
5. are the heads the right ones? or do i need bigger (205cc ??), if yes. explain what i need please and why.
6. Is the fordstroker.com liberty shortblock crap, or are anyone here using it?

I'm sure i have missed something in this post so feel free to ask if there is anything.

See less See more
#2 ·
Note:
I just ordered a book on what to watch out for and how to build a high perfomance V8 engine, and will be ordering one on strokers after that (got any recommendations?) Will be reading that through the next couple of weeks, but i would still like some answers here if somebody has the time to write a reply :)

I was also told that Woody is the master at this stuff, where are you Woody? i need you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.