Modded Mustang Forums banner

Procharger Head Unit Failure

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Derfdog15 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 Mustang with a 331 stroker with a P1SC-2 on it. I finally finished my build on the car, after many hold ups. Long story short, car goes on the dyno this weekend for tuning. Tuner was slowly increasing the pulls, and the car was responding very well to the minor adjustments he was making in the low range rpm (first pull to 3k rpm showed 3XX hp / 4XX tq at 2lbs). After the 4-5 pull, the tuner increased the rpm to 5k. Immediately after letting off the throttle on the pull, the head unit throws a belt. The tuner shuts the car off, and on inspection the pulley was rubbing the renegade bracket holding the P1SC in place. I reached down to check out what was going on, and it seems that the the input shaft receded into the body of the blower. Pulling on the pulley showed that it would move in and out.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this/had this happen to them before. Upon further inspection, the impeller does not seem to be damaged, and will still spin without any grinding/rought movements. I bought the unit used, and its supposed to be a fresh rebuild.

I'm trying to guage the extent of the damage, to see if it's something that I can repair myself, or if I should bite the bullet and send it in to ATI.

#2 ·
have you tried calling ATI and seeing what they recommend?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.