Modded Mustang Forums banner

SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT Follows fuel filter change attempt

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  99mustang232 
#1 ·
In attempting to change the fuel filter on my 02 GT I ended with a glairing SERVICE ENGINE SOON idiot light that is showing no signs of going out. IAW the manual I started out by disconnecting the switch in the trunk and starving the system to depressurize.

I've done this many times on our family Taurus'. On a Taurus it's about a 20 min. job max. You don't even have to put the car on stands - the filter is just forward of the right rear wheel well. On the GT the filter is in rear of the fuel tank, between the rear wheels. I put the car up on two 2k lb stands with wheel blocks in front. I thought about using four stands but it seemed extremely stable. In any case, I don't like getting under a car w/o a walk in bay or a lift.

Once I could get to the filter I found that the male members of the filter seat in two metal female line-ends that I assume have rubber seals... as indicated by a ring bulge on the male ends. It appears to me that this operation may require a special tool, contrary to the manual, because neither side gave any sign of releasing w/o force being applied. So I decided to get some more information.

After I reconnected the interrupt and started up I got the steady idiot light. The owner’s manual says the usual stuff about it’ll go away after a full tank and four regular startups/transits. Didn’t happen. Just did the 30k service 1k miles ago – but I ran some injector cleaner and fuel system cleaner through with a tank of mid-test gas. I routinely run fuel system product through and change fuel filters during every other (3k mi) oil change.

I have starved out the Taurus’ fuel systems to depressurize countless times; never got an idiot light: any ideas?
:wtf

See less See more
#3 ·
I got it cleared for free. Guy said industry std is 40 key turns before it'll clear by itself. Ugh. Can't abide that light in my face that long. Got to get the special tool for releasing the fuel lines on the 02 GT. There's tons of tools out there but none of them appear to specify 99 and later Mustangs, and there's two different line sizes. I'm assuming the one that works for the F150 will work for the Stang I can get that in a kit at Auto Zone that comes with a similar tool for the AC lines. Not about to pay 100.00 for a fifteen min job I can wrench myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.