New clutch slipping?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1

Jeff2000GT is on a distinguished road

New clutch slipping?

About a year ago a friend and I put a new clutch in my 2000 GT... a Ram HDX to be specific... and a factory re manufactured flywheel. Now the Ram HDX is supposed to be good to 450 hp... my Mustang has intake, exhaust, programmer.. so it's sitting slightly over stock numbers.. nothing ridiculous at all.. the other day i romped on it in 1st gear (which normally equates to going sideways) and nothing.. no spinnage.. then Saturday morning i ran it up hard through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to about 85ish and shut it down, and came to a quick stop to make my turn at which time i smelled burning clutch..

now, i have Wagner brakes on my car.. and if you lay into the brakes HARD it smells just like burning clutch.. but i haven't smelled that since shortly after breaking in the new pads.. so i'm not sure if it was clutch or brakes i smelled.. but what could possibly make an almost new 450hp clutch slip on a nearly stock car?

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

ryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the rough

Do you see your rpms going up without the car accelerating? Does the clutch pedal feel funny or stick to the floor afterward and is the next gear hard to shift.

These would be symptoms of a slipping clutch.

What would cause it without very much use? Improper installation and/or breakin, oil contamination, a clutch cable setup that is putting too much preload on the pressure plate, excessive track use, poor driving habits.
89 LX procharged 302 515 hp 497 ftlbs 10.7 @130 mph - sold it

Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #3

Originally Posted by ryans88gt View Post
Do you see your rpms going up without the car accelerating? Does the clutch pedal feel funny or stick to the floor afterward and is the next gear hard to shift.

These would be symptoms of a slipping clutch.

What would cause it without very much use? Improper installation and/or breakin, oil contamination, a clutch cable setup that is putting too much preload on the pressure plate, excessive track use, poor driving habits.

i did recently adjust my cable so that the clutch engages a little closer to the floor.. it started after that.. so would you recommend adjusting it back out more to a stock engagement point?
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:37 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Jeff2000GT View Post
i did recently adjust my cable so that the clutch engages a little closer to the floor.. it started after that.. so would you recommend adjusting it back out more to a stock engagement point?
*BUMP*

Anybody? ... Anybody?
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:48 AM   #5
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

F8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to F8L GT

move it back to stock and see what happens, you might have adjusted it a little to much and the TOB is putting a little pressure on the driaphram fingers and causing the clutch to slip. no harm in adjusting it back to see what it does

MM Bracket Racing Crew Co-Founder

Old April 1st, 2010, 03:30 AM   #6
Regular

1984 svo

spoolin_84svo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by F8L GT View Post
move it back to stock and see what happens, you might have adjusted it a little to much and the TOB is putting a little pressure on the driaphram fingers and causing the clutch to slip. no harm in adjusting it back to see what it does

[QUOTE=ryans88gt;2734572]Do you see your rpms going up without the car accelerating? Does the clutch pedal feel funny or stick to the floor afterward and is the next gear hard to shift.

These would be symptoms of a slipping clutch.QUOTE]

also if it "shakes" the car (like a Fu**** motor mount.) when you go to engage it in either 1st or reverse (esp. slowly) you can almost hear a harmonics sound..

happened to my friends '00 v6. and what it was, was his flywheel needed to be resurfaced.

try that cable adjustment first tho.. might just be that you put it alittle to close to the floor.

MM COBRA MEMBER #75

Spoolin's For sale $h!*

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...es-galore.html
Old April 1st, 2010, 05:08 AM   #7

I shall try this.. another tidbit of info, shortly after adjusting the clutch the last time, i began to notice a very faint 'squeak' between gears.. but the strange part was that squeak happens in the instant of time between when i let off the throttle and just before i begin to hit the clutch.. but not WHILE i'm pressing the clutch, it's really strange.. well i shall try the cable adjustment I'll just go back to stock engagement point to be safe.. hrmpph..
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8

kkent is on a distinguished road

mine makes the same noise when i let off the gas i think it might be the flywheel but im not sure???? let me know if u find out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: New clutch slipping?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch Slipping HOLLYWD69 2005 - 2010 24 January 16th, 2010 04:22 PM
how do you know when your clutch is slipping? emgjsdk1 99 - 04 6 March 28th, 2008 12:34 AM
Clutch Slipping? PowerShiftz02GT 99 - 04 18 December 2nd, 2007 12:36 PM
clutch slipping? LtHank 99 - 04 2 August 4th, 2007 12:19 PM
clutch slipping?? 40thmustanggt 99 - 04 6 June 20th, 2007 06:12 PM