Modded Mustang Forums banner

Borg Warner T5 Diagram

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  glittle75 
#1 ·
Does anyone on here happen to have an exploded view diagram of a 96-98 and 00-04 Borg Warner T5 manual trans?

Problem is I have a 00 V6 and the trans went up so I bought a used tranny off the junk yard and they said it was for a 00. Well when I got home the trans was deffinately not for a 00 its for a 96-98. I know because the cable VSS on the side. Plus other differences. Which I didn't know were different or realize until they were side by side.

I had $700 to spend so I bought the used trans for 400 and a new clutch/flywheel assembly from ford.

I can not returnthe trans and funds are out. My problem is that the Speedo does not work but the rpm gauge does.

Thats why I need the exploded diagrams so I can see exactly what the VSS picks its signal up on the two and If I can just swap out the extension housing from the 00-04 and use the electric VSS again.

I tried searching on the web but T5s were used in soo many vehicles I can not get an exact diagram esp of the two I need and to be readable.

I would just put the electric VSS in this trans but it is larger in Dia and will not fit in the hole and obviously it will not pick any signal up. I think it works off a magneto type deal on the final drive and the cable has the gear set-up VSS I know how that works.

So pretty much what I want to know is if the older version of the t5s main shaft has the thing on it for the electric VSS to get signal or not. I might just be saving and dealing with the no speedo problem until I can afford another one. Next time I will know. But I hope I dont have to go that way. I would just swap out the guts into my old gear box but the junkyard wanted mine back as core so thats a no go. The trans was 600 before core.

Any help is appreciated. I'm at a loss. If you need any clarification lmk and I'll answer the best I can.

See less See more
#2 ·
The speedo pickup is in the tail shaft. You should be able to swap tail shafts from the old one in your car to the one you bought IIRC. The 96-98 VSS is gear driven in the tail shaft. When you pull the cord out of the tail shaft it has a gear on the end of it, and inside the trans there is another gear that turns it to give the proper ratio for speed.
Heres a T5 exploded view i found. Its about halfway down the article. The whole article may help you though.
http://www.pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.