Repair Leather Seats?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #1
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
1/8 - 9.2 sec

redriderjf87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to redriderjf87

Repair Leather Seats?

Did a little searching but didn't see anything that I knew was equivalent to what I'm seeing. I've heard on other sites that you can sometimes repair cracks/creases with a heat gun and/or some moisture. Do you think this is doable for how mine are, or do they need to be resurfaced or otherwise?

Thanks, Justin

2002 Mustang GT
1997 Mazda B2300
1972 Yamaha CT-2
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Regular

2006 GT

2006stang is on a distinguished road

your gonna need color to fill in the cracks. buy a kit at your local auto store
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #3
'Murica

2010 Mustang GT

jdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to behold

Recover? I'm thinking so with where its at.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
1/8 - 9.2 sec

Ah ok. I'll take a look at both of those then, thanks.

2002 Mustang GT
1997 Mazda B2300
1972 Yamaha CT-2
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #5
"Junior, hold my hat!"

2006 Mustang GT Vert

RideSallyRide is on a distinguished road

Had this problem with my BMW M3. Go to the Bimmerfest.com website and search the forums/threads on this topic. There is a company in England that sells a kit that includes crack filler and color dye. It costs $200 U.S. or so for the entire kit which includes enough stuff for a lifetime and you can match any color leather you like. They have video tutorials on YouTube and at their website. I wish I could remember the name of the company.

I bought a kit from their U.S. competitor and it included crack filler and a perfect color match and it did a nice job and was an easy project but the kit from England is better. If I had it to do over again I would have bought the kit from England. The kit from England is real leather dye whereas the kit from the U.S. is more of a leather based paint.

It's an easy project and you won't believe how well you can restore your leather seats back to original condition and color including getting rid of all the creases and cracks.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
1/8 - 9.2 sec

Cool, will search for it. I'm assuming having the seats redone is going to be significantly more expensive than $200? I'm more inclined to the idea of fixing it myself anyways but just curious if anyone's had a shop do something like that.

2002 Mustang GT
1997 Mazda B2300
1972 Yamaha CT-2
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #7

mustangkid_90 is on a distinguished road

Just a thought......you could just redye the seats the same color.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #8
'Murica

2010 Mustang GT

jdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to beholdjdmpwr07 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by redriderjf87 View Post
Cool, will search for it. I'm assuming having the seats redone is going to be significantly more expensive than $200? I'm more inclined to the idea of fixing it myself anyways but just curious if anyone's had a shop do something like that.
I bought full OEM leather covers (coming in tomorrow) for $350 shipped brand new. I'd shop around but it shouldn't be too bad.
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
1/8 - 9.2 sec

Ok sounds like even more options than I was thinking, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Will do some more searching around and educate myself a little more (especially on the dyeing part). I appreciate it.

2002 Mustang GT
1997 Mazda B2300
1972 Yamaha CT-2
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #10
MM Fanatic

2000 GT 'vert

bigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of light

i tried the repair kits from the local parts store.. worked like shit. Good luck with yours though.

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #11
-- Logan --

1999 Mustang GT
stock 14.00@101

DGS2vGT has a spectacular aura aboutDGS2vGT has a spectacular aura aboutDGS2vGT has a spectacular aura about

get racing seats??
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:36 PM   #12

dkmcclelland is on a distinguished road

You could try a good cleaning... Probably not going to fix the cracks but will make them a lot more bearable until you can get some covers for it... Prestige leather care kit is amazing
Old July 5th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #13

indy018 is on a distinguished road

my freind has a bmw shop in indy. he has this stuff to repair seats. he does sell it and would be able to ship reggie motorworks inc. he buys totaled out bmw and ect and parts them out among other things. he has this stuff that turnned a leather seat sitting out in the elements and brought it back to almost new looking. stuff is awesome. two parts to it. have to ues some elbow grease to work it in, wont be dispointed. look him up on those interwebs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.