96 GT/M8 Swap problems.
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Regular

1996 Mustang GT

96-GT_Josh is on a distinguished road

96 GT/M8 Swap problems.

Ok, so lately My car had been having a bunch of random problems. Hesitates randomly, pops and gurgles while under constant 1/4-1/2 throttle. Horrible Gas Mileage, on side streets get maybe 5-8 mpg, hwy gets 14-18mpg. Dont ask cause IDK. I can fill up and drive 6 miles to the hwy and burn 1/4 tank. Then drive 50 miles on the hwy and burn another 1/4 tank. 8 CELs.

Some of the CELs

Coolant Temp not sufficient?
Cylinder misfire detected in Cyl #2 (how I dont have knock sensors?)
Engine RPM-Limiter reached/exceeded (I dont drive hard or go past the 7k RPM limiter)
OBDS11 Lack of Ho2 Sensor circuit
OBDS11 system indicates lean
OBDS11 system indicates rich
P1000 (never goes away: EGR and rear o2s turned off in tune)

And a couple more. I'm a state away from my car now but as soon as I get home tomorrow I'll get the code numbers and post em up.

It just seems like every time I fix something, it will throw another code.

Like I replaced both o2's and now its saying sensor 1 is bad. IDK if that has anything to do with the LT's and them being farther downstream. But I dont have the extension wires. My harness had enough slack in it to reach and plug in w/o strain.

I'D RATHER PUSH MY FORD THAN DRIVE YOUR CHEVY

MM COBRA CLUB #124
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Regular

1997 Mustang CObra
14.3@99

JC316 will become famous soon enoughJC316 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 96-GT_Josh View Post
Ok, so lately My car had been having a bunch of random problems. Hesitates randomly, pops and gurgles while under constant 1/4-1/2 throttle. Horrible Gas Mileage, on side streets get maybe 5-8 mpg, hwy gets 14-18mpg. Dont ask cause IDK. I can fill up and drive 6 miles to the hwy and burn 1/4 tank. Then drive 50 miles on the hwy and burn another 1/4 tank. 8 CELs.

Some of the CELs

Coolant Temp not sufficient?
Cylinder misfire detected in Cyl #2 (how I dont have knock sensors?)
Engine RPM-Limiter reached/exceeded (I dont drive hard or go past the 7k RPM limiter)
OBDS11 Lack of Ho2 Sensor circuit
OBDS11 system indicates lean
OBDS11 system indicates rich
P1000 (never goes away: EGR and rear o2s turned off in tune)

And a couple more. I'm a state away from my car now but as soon as I get home tomorrow I'll get the code numbers and post em up.

It just seems like every time I fix something, it will throw another code.

Like I replaced both o2's and now its saying sensor 1 is bad. IDK if that has anything to do with the LT's and them being farther downstream. But I dont have the extension wires. My harness had enough slack in it to reach and plug in w/o strain.
Well, coolant temp and 02 sensor issues can definitely cause all of the symptoms. I would start with the ECT. When you did the M8 swap, did you be sure to use both coolant sensors from the GT? I had to get the crossover pipe from a 95 Mark VIII in order to get the two bungs for the sensors.
Old July 21st, 2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Regular

1996 Mustang GT

Yes I have both sensors in. The swap has been running fine for almost 2 years and since I put my clutch in all these issues appear.

The codes to be exact are.....

P0135: o2 heater circuit S1B1
P1131: Lack of H02S11 Switches Sensor Indicates Lean [see P2195]
P1000: OBD System Readiness Test Not Complete

And I just reset it. If I drive it for a couple days the

P1130: System Indicates Rich will appear as well as the lean code

And I forget the other code #'s but one is rpm/speed limiter reached/exceeded, engine coolant temp not sufficient for performance or something like that, cylinder #2 missfire detected (I don't have knock sensors so IDC how its getting that), and there is maybe 2 more, I forget what they are. I will drive more and update when they reappear.

Both new o2s and ECT sensors. I do have a 180 thermostat on my toolbox to install, maybe that might fix something but Idk.

MM COBRA CLUB #124
Old July 21st, 2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Regular

1997 Mustang CObra
14.3@99

JC316 will become famous soon enoughJC316 will become famous soon enough

It has some complex system of detection for the cylinder misfires. The RPM limit reached and misfires could be the crankshaft position sensor acting up. The 02 sensor issues can be causing the rich and lean codes. You need to inspect those and see whats up.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:20 AM   #5
Regular

1996 Mustang GT

Any input on how I would go about checking them? I might revert back to the stock tune but keep the rear o2s and egr off and see what happens.

The same time I put the clutch and few in I also installed bamas performance tu e. Maybe some things up with that as well.

MM COBRA CLUB #124
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.