Radio Randomly cutting off and No Power ? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old June 17th, 2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Exclamation Radio Randomly cutting off and No Power ?

This started happening about 2 weeks ago and only did it for a day the Radio (aftermarket) will randomly Cut off while driving and I also noticed a slit blimp from the car when it does it.
Now today it started doing it again and today I stopped at the store turn the car off and as i was walking away the doors would lock no horn chirp or anything. I got back in the car and there was nothing to power, no dome light, horn. Turning the key to start there was Nothing. Then for no other reason then I was mad I stomped on the Brake and the dome light came back on and then the car started. When My radio came back on it had lost all its memory kinda like when the battery goes dead.
I did notice to that it started kinda slow, like a low battery.

What do you guys think ??

post #2 of 5 Old June 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Regular

Try checking your fuses and double check your connections.
post #3 of 5 Old July 9th, 2014, 10:24 PM
More average than ever

Bad connection for 12V power. Same thing happened to my Alpine in my old mustang.
post #4 of 5 Old January 24th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Genibus Nitito Canus

Send a message via MSN to HBK_2007
I had a similar incident on a long trip couple weeks ago. Driving down the road the radio (factory shaker 500) would just turn off. I could turn it back on, no problems. The only thing I noticed was the face of it was a bit warm. I figured it was just getting hot (was also running the heater on low during this) and turning off to cool down. It hasn't happened since I got back.
post #5 of 5 Old July 15th, 2015, 04:05 AM

The only time I've ever had this problem was a trip to the beach, the radio (ken wood was installed, but this could even happen with stock headunit) cut off and instantly back on, even once loosing the memory of stations and settings (when this happened my car chirped like it it lost all power). The only thing that would really cause that would be you loosing 12v constant to the radio. My best guess would be connection issue, now where it's coming from is the other question. I'd start the trouble shoot by

1. Inspect relating fuses of the radio and also the postive and ground terminal of the battery, also checking the ending of the wiring that connects to the terminal. If the wiring of either is weak, damaged, or easily breaking apart then trim back the wiring and get a new set a connectors. A loose connector is likely the most common problem of your symptoms.

2. Clean the positive terminal of the battery, and also the connector of the wiring to the terminal. Make sure they are both tight and have a good connection.

3. Drive the car like you normally do, if the problem persist, dig deeper.

4. Pull the head unit and inspect the 12v constant wire (normally yellow), the 12v power wire (normally red) and the ground wire (normally black) of the wiring harness adapter that spliced into the wires that run into the back of your head unit. Make sure the wiring isn't bad or falling apart, that no wires are showing and touching anything.

If none of this fixes your problem, then I'm at a lost. I'm no expert mechanic but this would be my best guess as to how to go about fixing the issue. I'm sure the more knowledgable Mustang electrical veterans of the forum will chip in and give you instructions of what to try next. Hope this helps you out in some way and solves the problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page