Modded Mustang Forums banner

Throwout Bearing Noise

23K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  moneymo 
#1 ·
I wonder if anyone else has this symptom...97 GT convert, 5 speed. The throwout bearing is obviously going bad as it howls in cold weather. The odd noise comes when accelerating slowly in any gear. It sounds like a low grinding noise. If you tach it up and take off, there is no noise. Is this a thowout bearing symptom? There is no howl or noise at speed.
Regards
sharris in ala

#4 ·
Your throw out bearing will not make noise if the clutch is not in. If you are in gear but the clutch pedal is pressed in, you will hear the throw out bearing. If you pull it out of gear and it stops or as soon as your foot is all the way off the clutch pedal and the moise stops. It is the Throw out Bearing. Otherwise it may be something else. A whining noise in the transmission either means it is grinding gears or the fluid is gone or bad. Take it to a good transmission guy and they will tell you. They won't charge you for taking for a spin.

#5 ·
I checked the trans oil level and it is full. There is no whine from the trans, is sounds and feels smooth. Just a low growl/grind when pulling from a low speed.
I will drive it again tomorrow and investigate a little more.

Thanks
sharris in ala

#6 ·
My T.O bearing was, bad I had an entire new clutch put in last week. Mine made a really loud grinding sort of noise when i would hold down, or release the clutch, when it was in gear, there was no sound, whether i was accelerating or anything like that. It started to get so bad that i could hear it rattling when i was at stop lights tho.

Your pilot bearing could also probably be bad too. Mine was.

#10 ·
Don't wait too long. Because supposedly, if the t.o goes, it can do damage to the front of your transmission when it goes out. Probably not a good thing to happen, so trying to minimize driving it, and get it replaced ASAP.

#11 ·
Depending on how bad the TB is. The bearing will make noise no matter what you do to the pedal. Free wheeling with the foot off the pedal is will make a chatterish noise, sometimes a squeel. When you push the pedal all the way down then you will also get a squeel and it will be louder. Its a very common problem on 96-98 mustangs

#15 ·
Mine did the same thing when I bought it. Thought it was the TOB. Bought a Spec clutch kit to put in, but I changed the clutch quadrant and cable, and put an adjustable firewall adjuster in first. The noise went away, so I guess it was just out of adjustment. Been a month, still haven't changed the clutch and still no noise. Hopefully getting the clutch in this weekend but not looking good.

#16 ·
Mine makes a metal to metal grind when i slowly let off on the clutch. Then to make matters worse i tried to move it and the transmission locked on me. I know it cant be the clutch or pressure plate because they wouldn't lock up. Can anyone help me with this one? I just got a new tranny in but i wanna hear from you guys if its anything else besides gears being gone. If so i will put the new tranny without messing with the bell housing..lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.