Project Tablet
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Projects

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:14 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

Megawatts88 will become famous soon enoughMegawatts88 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Megawatts88

Project Tablet

I am going to be documenting my new project. I have taken an interest in the videos I have seen of people incorporating tablets into their cars. I think this is a pretty awesome idea and wanted to do something similar.

What I am starting with is a Samsung galaxy tab and the center dash out of a Mach 1. I already have all the speakers wired into amps which are connected to the head unit by RCA cables.

What I plan on adding is of course the Tab and hooking into the power system via a hardwired cigarette lighter power adapter. I am looking at adding an equalizer similar to this one so that I will have a greater control of the audio, providing a better sound.

My goals with the mount will be to have a secure and safe way of mounting the device in the dash. The device must be removable and not be a huge hassle to remove.

I have seen some really good ways of doing it online and I am trying to work out what is going to be best for me.

If anyone has any links or videos on this already being done the help will be appreciated.

Pictures of the start:

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #2
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

Megawatts88 will become famous soon enoughMegawatts88 will become famous soon enough

Havent had a lot of time to work on this but this is what I have been able to do so far.

I am using some left over lexan that I had lying around to get a good start.

These are some very rough ideas. Using them to get a general layout of where I want to go and how I am going to route everything.

With the Tab

I can tell now that the backing plate isnt going to be large enough. I need to expand it more because I am going to line the inside with felt when I get it done so that it will be a nice smooth surface against the tab. I am also still debating how I want the wiring to go. I can either run it independently through the headphone jack and the power port or get the docking station and figure a way to mount with that so it will only use the bottom port.....decisions decisions

EDIT
Just took a look at the center console piece and I dont think it is going to work the way I am thinking. So, I am going to bring my dash in tomorrow so I have some reference to go off of.

Last edited by Megawatts88; August 14th, 2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

Been a while since I have updated this. Due to work and moving I have not had the time until recently and have had to start from scratch.

Where is what I have been able to do so far.

I relocated my A/C controls so I am working on smoothing out the bezel in that area

I still have a long way to go before it is complete. Still have to work on some trimming and then get to start on the fun part of sanding and painting.

Old May 28th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #4
MM's unluckiest member

1974 AMC Termipacer

Azure is a name known to allAzure is a name known to allAzure is a name known to allAzure is a name known to allAzure is a name known to allAzure is a name known to all

Subbed. Cant wait to see the finished product.

2003 Mach 1 - Bought back
1998 taurus - DD
2003 Sonic Blue whipple'd Cobra "Medusa" - Sold
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:02 PM   #5
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

Got some more work done. Did a test fit and noticed some issues. Most likely going to go back and not recess the mount so that I can remove the tablet a lot easier.

This is very very rough and I only put it in now to test fit and to see what I like and dont like about the way I have it set up. Once complete I will have the power cord hidden as well as have a much more presentable console. Tips, tricks, and comments welcome. Will have a vid coming shortly.

EDIT

Here is the Vid
http://s583.photobucket.com/albums/s...7-52-11_81.mp4

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:56 PM   #6
procrastinationist

jafish has a spectacular aura aboutjafish has a spectacular aura aboutjafish has a spectacular aura about

Very interesting.
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:37 PM   #7
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2000 gt

mustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to behold

subscribed, this is a pretty cool idea. i'll never tackle anything like this but it is neat to see.

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

MustangLouver has a spectacular aura aboutMustangLouver has a spectacular aura aboutMustangLouver has a spectacular aura about

This is awesome. I would love to know how to do this!

Carolina Crew #17
Always Clean Crew
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:14 AM   #9
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

Originally Posted by jafish View Post
Very interesting.
indeed

Originally Posted by mustanginky View Post
subscribed, this is a pretty cool idea. i'll never tackle anything like this but it is neat to see.
Sometimes I think I shouldnt have tried it

Originally Posted by MustangLouver View Post
This is awesome. I would love to know how to do this!
I am learning as I go with it.

Went and drove with it tonight and have decided this was definitely the way to go. I was originally wanting to go with a stock appearance which is why I was planning on recessing the tablet into the console. However, after driving with it tonight I don't really thing it is worth trying to make look stock. I it a tablet and it kinda gives it that cool factor. So, I think what I am going to do now is do a little redesigning of the mount where it is raised slightly higher than the surrounding trim and angled towards the driver slightly. This will aid in being able to see the tablet as well as making it easier to insert and remove the tablet when I do not need it in the car. May not get to work on it tomorrow but if I do I will be posting pics.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:08 AM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

MustangLouver has a spectacular aura aboutMustangLouver has a spectacular aura aboutMustangLouver has a spectacular aura about

That sounds good. I've often browsed MP3car.com forums looking at CarPCs, but the work involved and the amount of knowledge needed scares me away. Sounds like you have it figured out though. Looking forward to more pictures. Keep up the good work.

Carolina Crew #17
Always Clean Crew
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM   #11
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

A few quick update pics.

At this point, I have repositioned the mount and test fit it to make sure it was the way I wanted it. It seemed to be angled a lil too far downward when I put it in the car so I came back in and tweaked it a bit to angle it the way I wanted. Going to go out and do another test fit to see how it looks and if it looks good then I will start working on the finished parts.

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 GT

Chris747 will become famous soon enoughChris747 will become famous soon enough

Sub'd keep the updates coming!

2003 DSG GT ... P1SC, MGW Shifter, NTO5 295 Rear Tire, H&R SS, MAC Long Tube Headers and Prochamber, Flow masters, 3.73 Gear, Blowe Cams, Tuned by Bob Kurgan

SOLD
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #13
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

Been a bit but finally got some more time to work on this. I have been looking for a way to fill in around the mount and be able to work it into the console. Didnt want to use fiberglass just because I have no experience with it. Decided to go with some repair putty.

This was the last part that I had gotten to before beggining work today.

Went through and sanded all the roughness out of it getting it ready.

After applying the putty

That is how it is currently sitting while I am waiting for it to cure and taking care of some other business. Should be able to get back on it tonight.

Old July 7th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT

kermit315 will become famous soon enoughkermit315 will become famous soon enough

That looks like a cool project. I was thinking of doing something like that last night in my neighbors garage. Would love to see it when you are done.

BTW, about where in Pcola do you live? I am off of Gulf Beach Highway.

MILITARY CREW: US Navy First Class Petty Officer
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #15
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates but work has kept me quite busy. However, with Isaac on the way, I have found a little bit of extra time off to work on this because I have absolutely nothing else more important to do.

I sanded down the first layer of the putty and have been driving with it around like this since the last update. It has worked quite nicely and I have decided to keep it this way for now and just finish it up to see how it looks.

This is after I added a second layer to the mount. I havent gone back and sanded it down yet but will most likely do that in the morning.

For some reason my phone was not taking very good pictures. Ill have to get some better quality pictures from my camera tomorrow.

On a side not I do have a new Droid RAZR and have been contemplating replacing this whole setup with a 7in touch screen and the double din dash from the Mach.

This is what I have been toying with.
Mp3car.com: Providing the latest news on in-car entertainment, and a community to connect people.
and the dock

Old August 27th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #16
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

Originally Posted by kermit315 View Post
That looks like a cool project. I was thinking of doing something like that last night in my neighbors garage. Would love to see it when you are done.

BTW, about where in Pcola do you live? I am off of Gulf Beach Highway.
Hey sorry I missed your comment. I am living on NASP.

This is what I got done this morning. I have next to no experience with using body filler and sanding things smooth so after I put on another coat I sanded again and sprayed it with Plastidip to see what it would look like. Overall not a bad outcome but a few things I can do to improve it and most likely will when Isaac passes by.

And a pic with the tablet in it.

Old August 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #17
04 Mustang

2004 Mustang
99@999

JPoston will become famous soon enough

That looks awesome

Click Here to see My Build
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #18
The Deer Hunter

03 Mach Clone

Originally Posted by JPoston View Post
That looks awesome
Thanks

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT

kermit315 will become famous soon enoughkermit315 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Megawatts88 View Post
Hey sorry I missed your comment. I am living on NASP.

This is what I got done this morning. I have next to no experience with using body filler and sanding things smooth so after I put on another coat I sanded again and sprayed it with Plastidip to see what it would look like. Overall not a bad outcome but a few things I can do to improve it and most likely will when Isaac passes by.

And a pic with the tablet in it.

What command? I work down in the Mega Building.

Anyway, it looks like it is coming along very well. I might do this exact project to the Thunderbird.

MILITARY CREW: US Navy First Class Petty Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/229106-project-tablet.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thinking About Replacing The Stereo Head Unit With An Android Tablet | Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Refback July 14th, 2012 12:42 PM

Threads Similar to: Project Tablet
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to buy a tablet! maxgst The Clubhouse 19 July 29th, 2011 08:39 AM
Cruz Tablet? MamaStang The Clubhouse 6 November 28th, 2010 11:34 AM
Chrome OS tablet concept Rhythm Stick The Clubhouse 6 February 10th, 2010 01:13 PM
New Tablet PC sAJ1420 The Clubhouse 18 April 3rd, 2008 11:58 PM