1994 Mustang Budget 302 Build - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 197 Old May 5th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettNorton View Post
Ehhhhh..... I wouldn't say I have all that much determination. Don't worry, I have enough determination to see this project through to the end. What kinda lowers the "cool factor" of this project though, is that while attending college and working on the car, I'm living with my grandparents (long story behind that). But then again, they're retired and I work on weekends, so I get to say "I am the only person who has a job in this house!!!"

Only reason I have been able to progress so quickly here is because of the tools factor. In high school, I was awarded a Snap-On tool box that I filled up with just basic hand tools last summer. In addition, my grandpa has a CRAP TON of specialty tools that I can use. I should probably get pics of everything I have gotten access to through him.
Did you happen to get those tools through the AYES program?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 197 Old May 5th, 2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael99V6 View Post
Did you happen to get those tools through the AYES program?
I don't know for sure what that AYES program is. All I did was exceed in my auto shop classes in high school. My shop instructor Mr. Crady (we all just called him Crady) said that I was one of the best students he had ever seen. Because of my efforts in my shop class, I was awarded this Snap-On tool box from my school's Alumni Association. That picture was taken the night that I brought it home. It's not the biggest tool box in the world, because after a summer of spending money on basic hand tools, it was all filled up.
post #23 of 197 Old June 26th, 2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Who you callin' Pinhead?

It's been nearly 2 months since my last update of this project, but I've finally received the first round of suspension parts for the Mustang! I bought everything here from Rock Auto and it was all at my door less than a week after I placed the order.

KYB GR-2 shocks and struts. These are simple OEM replacement units that were at a good price for me. I also like that they came with all necessary hardware for installation.

MOOG steering parts (ball joints, inner / outer tie rods, tie rod boots). A good compromise in price between cheap and expensive. Plus, I've always good things about MOOG parts being used in roughly-driven trucks and in NASCAR. They should hold up in my street-driven Mustang just fine.

ACDelco rear upper control arm bushings. I'll explain why I got these rubber bushings when I get the rear control arms.

Centric brake rotors. These are, once again, OEM replacement parts at a good price. Figured I might as well buy them now.

Dorman parking brake cables. Without the transmission or the entire braking system in the car, there is nothing to stop it from rolling the wrong way during the moving process. These new cables will provide me a sense of security while moving the car.

Also, not really a part of the build, but something important nonetheless. After 225,000 miles, my little Volvo has a pinhole in the radiator. I tried to seal the leak up with gasket sealer, but after driving through town on a hot day, I opened the hood up to find the radiator pissing coolant everywhere. I think I'll feel better if I just replace the leaking radiator with a new one.

Also got new radiator hoses and a new radiator cap.

More Mustang suspension parts should be arriving over the next month.
macuser27 likes this.

post #24 of 197 Old June 27th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Regular

I love a carbureted 5.0L Mustang...they make interesting drivers. Speaking from experience here. I have a few parts left over from my SN95 race car build, and I think I have a Holley 600 CFM 4150 carb laying around somewhere if you're interested. I'm not too far from you.

You've never really built or restored a car until you've crossed at least one state line to chase down a part.

Rescuing a Roush: the story of Buttercup
post #25 of 197 Old June 28th, 2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_68 View Post
I have a few parts left over from my SN95 race car build, and I think I have a Holley 600 CFM 4150 carb laying around somewhere if you're interested. I'm not too far from you.
Would you happen to be able to PM me a list of parts that you have available?
post #26 of 197 Old June 28th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast

Cool build! Read the whole thing. I have a 94 vert V6 but it's in great shape; only 90k miles. Runs like a top. We have thought about doing what you're doing but it's too nice to take apart. I'll drive it until it dies.

Keep up the good work! I'm sub'd for future updates.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - Cammed, Geared, Slow

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #27 of 197 Old June 30th, 2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerFan View Post
I have a 94 vert V6 but it's in great shape; only 90k miles. Runs like a top. We have thought about doing what you're doing but it's too nice to take apart. I'll drive it until it dies.
I feel the same way about my little Volvo. It's got some high miles (225,000), but it's in great shape and drives like new considering its age and mileage. It's also my first car that I bought from the original owner about 4 years ago.

What do you mean by "doing what you're doing" when talking about your car? Were you thinking of tearing down to a body shell as well?
post #28 of 197 Old June 30th, 2015, 08:20 PM
You had one job!

Awesome job so far. I'm curious, are you replacing the suspension with v6 parts or v8 parts to handle the additional weight? Are you going to be adding back in the factory ac and all the modern amenities?

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
post #29 of 197 Old June 30th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast

Not to the shell but doing a 5.0/5.8 swap, manual tranny, rear end...etc...basically a major overhaul like you.

I have my 2001 GT to play with though so the V6 will stay stock and be driven until the doors fall off.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - Cammed, Geared, Slow

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #30 of 197 Old June 30th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettNorton View Post
Would you happen to be able to PM me a list of parts that you have available?
I sure can, as soon as I find everything.

Keep in mind that a lot of the V-6 parts will work well with a V-8. The front K-member is the same, the trans bell housing bolt pattern is the same, but you will have a problem with air cleaner clearance if you use the stock hood. The stock V-6 gears in the T-5 are ok for cruising around, but they suck on the freeway. I ran 3.73 rear gears and a TKO 600 transmission, and never had any power problems.

You've never really built or restored a car until you've crossed at least one state line to chase down a part.

post #31 of 197 Old July 1st, 2015, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Quote:
Keep in mind that a lot of the V-6 parts will work well with a V-8. The front K-member is the same, the trans bell housing bolt pattern is the same, but you will have a problem with air cleaner clearance if you use the stock hood. The stock V-6 gears in the T-5 are ok for cruising around, but they suck on the freeway. I ran 3.73 rear gears and a TKO 600 transmission, and never had any power problems.
Hell, I plan on using even more V6 parts for my car than for your average V8 swap!

I believe I can just use a V6 5-speed PCM to work the speedo, fuel gauge and all of the lighting. Along with that, I'll use a V6 gauge cluster and relay module.

I think that I can use a bellhousing from a V6 car, as well an 11" clutch... as long a I use a 164 tooth flywheel for a 5.0 5-speed 88-96 Ford F150. Read more about it here.

Use 89 F150 Flywheel With 164-teeth With A V6 T5 Bellhousing & V6 T5? | Mustang Forums at StangNet

As for the transmission, a factory spec T5 (for V8 cars) has about a 300 ft. lb. torque capacity, and I expect my 302 motor to make about 300 hp at the flywheel. Just bolting a junkyard fresh T5 into my car will probably not yield good results. So I plan on buying a junk T5 out of a 94-98 V6 car (for the bellhousing, gear-driven speedo, and availability), and getting it rebuilt with some stronger components to hold the power.

I mostly plan on driving the car around in the city, but I do plan on some highway driving. Will the gear set in the V6 trans be spinning the motor too fast when driving on the highway? I found a spec sheet comparing the V6 and V8 gear sets, and they don't seem to be too different from one another.

94-95 Mustang 5.0 3.35 1.99 1.33 1.00 0.68

94-98 Mustang 3.8 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.73

I won't be doing any transmission work for at least another year or two (it's the last major step in my build), but I would love to have any more advice you may have concerning what I'm doing with my car.

EDIT: Actually, I think I might rebuild my transmission with a V8 gear set. Looking at the numbers and thinking about them, the V8 gear set has lower 2nd and 3rd gears, which will get the car going more quickly. 5th gear (overdrive) is higher for the V8 than the V6, and that will translate to a lower-revving engine on the highway. A V8 gear set will probably work better for my car, thank you for pointing that out.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Awesome job so far. I'm curious, are you replacing the suspension with v6 parts or v8 parts to handle the additional weight? Are you going to be adding back in the factory ac and all the modern amenities?
I'll be getting some SVE springs (basically Eibach Pro-Kits at a lower price) for the suspension very soon. I do plan on reusing my original V6 sway bar though. V6 sway bar is 27 mm. GT sway bar is a thicker 30 mm.

As for the HVAC, no heating or air conditioning for this build. I won't be driving this car in the winter to warrant any heat, and the AC would need to much money and work to become operational again.

Power locks will be gone. The power driver's seat will be converted to a manual seat. I will keep the power steering, brakes, and wipers for street performance reasons. The power windows will be my only source of cool air, so they will be reused for now. I hope to eventually be able to convert to manual windows just like my buddy 93Bandit did.

Last edited by BrettNorton; September 5th, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
post #32 of 197 Old July 2nd, 2015, 10:36 PM
Regular

Just to give you a taste...this is what a Ford Racing E303 cam with full-length headers and road race exhaust, and 600 CFM Holley 4150 carb sounds like at idle.

https://youtu.be/bwkLRsX53PQ

post #33 of 197 Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Quote:
Just to give you a taste...this is what a Ford Racing E303 cam with full-length headers and road race exhaust, and 600 CFM Holley 4150 carb sounds like at idle.
Awwww..... Was that video just for me?

I'll probably look at getting a Holley 4150 from you some time. Don't know when that'll be though.
post #34 of 197 Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:34 PM
Regular

haha, no that video is actually about 5-6 years old, I just forgot about it. I have the main parts of a 4150, but it'll need the small parts and a rebuild kit to finish it. You'll want to put the updated fuel bowls and jet plates on it. It also has had the choke removed.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Or...you could go this route:

Holley 4160 4 BBL Carb 600 CFM

post #35 of 197 Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:47 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Nice job man, hold onto that tool box, that's a great accomplishment. I still run a little Craftsmen my mother in law bought me about 10 years ago.
post #36 of 197 Old July 4th, 2015, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Quote:
haha, no that video is actually about 5-6 years old, I just forgot about it. I have the main parts of a 4150, but it'll need the small parts and a rebuild kit to finish it. You'll want to put the updated fuel bowls and jet plates on it. It also has had the choke removed.

Or...you could go this route:

Holley 4160 4 BBL Carb 600 CFM
Dammit, quit making me think so much about Holley's! I was just about to go with a 4160 before you got me into that 4150!

Joking aside, I'm not gonna be getting a carb any time soon. I have suspension components to install and a motor build to get done before I get myself a carburetor.

Last edited by BrettNorton; July 5th, 2015 at 01:57 PM.
post #37 of 197 Old July 5th, 2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Who you callin' Pinhead?

A little spoiler of something that's happening at the end of the summer...

post #38 of 197 Old July 6th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Regular

OK, now I'm jealous. Don't tell me you're using that as a parts car...that's like a federal offense.

post #39 of 197 Old July 7th, 2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Quote:
OK, now I'm jealous. Don't tell me you're using that as a parts car...that's like a federal offense.
I'm not saying anything more about that car until I get the suspension of my Mustang put back together.
post #40 of 197 Old July 10th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Her name is Tiffany.

1994 Mustang Budget 302 Build

Man awesome build. I wish I had more to read though! I sold my mustang for a jeep a couple months ago in preparation to have a car I can pull apart like yours. My first car was a '94 5.0 and I want to have something like that again. I'll be following this build as inspiration until I find the platform for my build. Also I'm from Joplin, MO but left 5 years ago (navy) now I'm in Hawaii

Also when you were shooting your car with primer and doing the undercoating, was that a rattle job or do you have a gun you were using? I'm interested in doing something very similar to your build that you are doing so I just want to see what I'd be up against.

AirRaid Cai, Comp Mutha Thumprs, Mac o/r Prochamber, Mac Boom Tubes, Bama Tunes

Last edited by ryandcampbell44; July 10th, 2015 at 04:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page