99GT Boosted 4v Build (pic heavy) - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old November 8th, 2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much

99GT Boosted 4v Build (pic heavy)

I picked this mustang up from a buddy of mine for 75 bucks, thinking it would be a fun project for me and my boys to work on over the next couple years. Then got started and realized im impatient and want to build it right away.

She sat like this for the last 6 months in my buddies garage.

Getting it loaded on the trailer was.... interesting to say the least.

Luckily we only hauled it a few blocks over to my house.

Then, when unloading the car, it some what fell off.

Then came the time to start assessing the car and deciding what i would do with it. I was considering parting it out, or just finding a 2v and putting it back to stock and flipping it.

But then my oldest convinced me to build another "racecar" out of it.

Found a pair of black front fenders locally for sale, they arent in great condition, but the whole car will be getting repainted next spring anyways.

So began the ordering phase for parts!!

Started out with ordering a complete tubular k-member from Team Z. Went ahead and ordered rotors, coil overs, caster camber plates, tubular a arms, and the k-member.

Found a complete first gen mk8 4v a couple hours from home. Went and picked it up halloween weekend. Installed it with a pair of MM solid motor mounts.

Then cleaned up the rear end for its build. Yukon duragrip 31 spline differential, yukon 31 spline axles, 4.10 FRPP gears, FRPP rebuild bearing kit, FRPP differential cover. As I was fixing to submit this order, i had to put it on hold. I found a complete 98 cobra engine. I was planning on running the cobra intake manifold, which meant i need to locate throttle/cruise cables and a hand full of other pieces to make it work on my mk8 long block. So i ended up picking up the complete engine with cables for 650. So now i'll be able to build one longblock while using the other for mocking up.

Got the oldest out there cleaning the rear up with me.

So thats where im at right now. Picking up the other engine this week, and ordering all of the rear end parts this weekend.

Also decided to swap over to COP, so i picked those valve covers up this weekend.
5rand0n7 likes this.

MM + Cleavage member #22

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old November 13th, 2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

After seeing the shots of swift's shaved engine bay using Scott rods inner panels I decided I had to have them.

So I went out and tucked all the wiring inside the fenders. Also started stripping the 96-98 cobra lid to wrinkle coat it as well as the cop valve covers.

On the plus side, I've got two complete tekskid engines in the garage now.

Time to finish building the rear and get it all back under the car before the snow starts falling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542_1479094830426.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	189658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0543_1479094861811.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	189666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544_1479094890167.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	189674  
post #3 of 35 Old November 16th, 2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

While waiting on funds to continue the build i decided i'd start doing some small details. Last night i went ahead and stripped, cleaned, and vht wrinkle coated my intake lid. Doing the COP covers next, but have to do everything one piece at a time because my small as oven.

Started by using scotch bright and oven degreaser to clean the whole lid inside and out. Then took it inside and tossed it in the sink with some dawn dish soap to help remove any chemicals/oils left on it.

Then took it back out to the garage and wiped the whole surface down with acetone, and began taping all the tubes off as well as the whole bottom side.

I then applied a total of 5 coats. I waited 5 minutes in between coats 1-2-3, then waited 10 minutes in between coats 3-4-5.

Then i waited approximately 30 minutes and removed all of the tape from the intake, and took it inside to let it start drying.

After two hours of drying at 70(ish) degree's inside the wrinkles were coming along nicely.

So I decided to take a razor knife and cut the coating off of the ribs on top of the lid to make an accent and toss it in the oven. I left it in the oven at 200 degrees for 60 minutes.

By this point it was 4 a.m. so i decided to take a quick nap before having to wake the kids for school. So from 4am - 6am it sat on the counter cooling off. Then i took some 100 grit sand paper on a block of wood to clean the rest of the coating off of the high ribs.

Here is what the final product turned out as. I'll be taking the factory twin blade throttle body and polishing it up some.

MM + Cleavage member #22

post #4 of 35 Old November 16th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Bo Baustin

Wow, that intake came out great.

I can't wait to see the rest of this build!
KS_Yeti likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old November 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man, i'm extremely happy with how they turned out. I've never actually dealt with or seen any wrinkle coated products so i was a bit weary on doing this. Cant wait to do the valve covers next.

I think on the lower intake and the timing cover i'll just paint those with some regular black paint, not the wrinkle coat.

MM + Cleavage member #22

post #6 of 35 Old November 17th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Regular

Garage
Looks good man! Nice progress! It will be awesome to see that car in one piece and compare it to the stripped car it began as!

Vortech v3, 3.33" Pulley, CX Racing FMIC, DIY Power Pipe, SAE Corrected: 404rwhp/397rwtq @10psi and 16* of timing
post #7 of 35 Old November 18th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Regular

Love the wrinkle! Definitely like what you did to the ribs as well. I can't imagine my girlfriend's reaction to me putting any car parts in our oven

Keep up the great work and keep us all updated!
post #8 of 35 Old November 18th, 2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, started cleaning up the valve covers last night. Should be spraying them on Sunday afternoon.

I've got a friend that does laser engraving so im thinking about having him engrave a piece of aluminum to put where the cobra badge usually is. Just cant decide what i want to put there. Thinking about putting NastyGT (custom tag for the mustang) but im unsure.

MM + Cleavage member #22

post #9 of 35 Old November 20th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Regular

Really like how the intake turned out. Cant wait to see how this project turns out
post #10 of 35 Old November 20th, 2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Decided since the kids are with their mom for the weekend (unfortunately) I would start on the valve covers.

First problem, forgot I was almost out of vht, so I was only able to do one cover.

Second problem, after letting the paint cure for two hours I preheat the oven and went to put it in, only to realize that they're too big to fit in my oven!! So they are going to have to air dry I guess ?

Started out by decreasing the covers.

Then scuffed the surface, rinsed them off again, and whiped them down with acetone.

Once they were taped off I did the same process of 5 coats.

It's crazy how glossy this stuff lays until it starts to cure!!

I can't wait to see this stuff on the engine, I think this engine bay is going to look killer blacked out shaved, and wire tucked.
5rand0n7 likes this.
post #11 of 35 Old November 21st, 2016, 06:14 PM
Regular

Those pieces are turning out good
post #12 of 35 Old November 22nd, 2016, 12:33 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

That wrinkle black looks awesome on the intake and covers. Coming along nice man.

'99 SVT Cobra - Built 4.6l, HP Blower Cams, Novi 2000 (8-Rib), RPM T-56, SRA Swap
'88 5.0 GT Hatchback - H/C/I/E
'99 C5 Corvette FRC - H/C/I/E + Suspension
'05 F150 FX4 - Stock
'02 Mustang GT - I/E, 4.10s, Suspension SOLD
post #13 of 35 Old November 22nd, 2016, 01:01 AM
MM Fanatic

i cant believe you bought that for $75! im trying to find a 99-04 parts car for months now and havent found a thing.

2002 mustang gt - turbo'd and blown up
1980 mercury zephyr wagon - roller undergoing rust repair
1970 galaxie - 351W cruiser
1978 F150 - 4x4 400M with a few bolt ons
1999 PSD - stock
post #14 of 35 Old November 22nd, 2016, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Tonight after work I had to drive an hour just to find a can of wrinkle coat just to finish the wrinkle coated parts for the engine. It was well worth the drive! Haha

When I got home I went ahead and started making the imrc deletes. Pulled the butterflies and rods. Next I'll polish them and clean them up before epoxying the holes all shut.

Then, I couldn't help it! I had to see these parts on the engine. After seeing everything mocked up, I decided I need to paint the lower and the timing cover.

These two parts I'll just paint with high temp black paint. Not wrinkled.

post #15 of 35 Old November 22nd, 2016, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle2002stang! View Post
i cant believe you bought that for $75! im trying to find a 99-04 parts car for months now and havent found a thing.

Totally agree, I've been looking for something cause I want a shell with abs/traction and if I get lucky straight rear quarter panels (since one of mine has the worlds worst body work and is all wrinkly)

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

DD: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile (1.8 60') on 93 octane tune/CAI only. SAE corrected: 369.4/451.4 on E20, full Bolt On
post #16 of 35 Old November 24th, 2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

After putting the lid on the lower and seeing it with the valve covers on, I decided to continue the black out look further south on the engine.

Took degreaser and a brush to the lower. Stripped it down, then washed it off. Whiped it down with acetone and taped it off.

Laid down 5 nice thin coats of high temp satin black enamel.

Then slapped it on the engine, it was a good choice to coat the lower! I'm going to do the timing cover next in this coating.

Also!!! With Black Friday sales already going on... I ordered black SVE drag wheels, 15x10 and 17x4.5.

As well as upper and lower control arms, front tires, and ford performance gears.

Still need to order the Yukon 31 spine axles and Yukon duragrip. Then I'll be ready to reassemble the rear and put it under.

Goal is to have it rolling on all 4 by Christmas. Fingers crossed!
post #17 of 35 Old December 1st, 2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

The parts have started rolling in! She will be sitting on her own 4 wheels with in the next couple weeks!

First shipment to come in was ford racing 4.56 gears and upper and lower control arms.

I went with 4.56 because I'm going to run this 4v n/a this spring to get base line numbers while building engine #2 for boost. At that point I'll re gear down to a ~3.23 or what ever I decides appropriate.

Then my boys decided to help put the bushings in the control arms! They love working with me on the car.

Then today's shipment came in. SVE drag wheels 15x10 rears with 17x4.5 fronts. I went ahead and ordered Mickey Thompson 26x6 fronts. And I think I've decided on 275/60 Mickey Thompson Street pros for the rear. I'll be ordering those on Friday.

Now I'm just waiting for the Yukon 31 spline axles, Yukon duragrip dif, and frpp dif cover to show up. Probably won't be here til the first of the week.
5rand0n7 likes this.
post #18 of 35 Old December 5th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
You will love the street pros. I just got a set for next season myself. Great looking progress and that wrinkle black looks great!

"The Names Nick"
1998 Mustang Cobra [Sold]
2000 Mustang Gt Built/Blown [Sold]
1995 Mustang Gt Built/Blown [Part-Out]
1997 Toyota Supra Na to Na-t [Sold]
1998 Mustang Gt Stock PI Swap (Budget Blue)
post #19 of 35 Old December 19th, 2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, now I'm hitting crunch time. My original goal when buying the car was to have the car rolling on its own by Christmas. As in, fully built rear end, fully built front end, drag pack, tires.

So this weekend i decided it was time to get to work on the rear end. I've been reading up on building the rear for quite a while. Spent several hundred bucks on special tools i didnt already have. (back lash gauge, bearing/seal press kit, bearing separator, in/lbs needle style torque wrench, etc...)

So this weekend i moved everything into my kitchen (gotta love being single!! ) and laid everything out to make sure i had everything... of course, i didnt! hahaha

Then the boys and i finished cleaning all of the journals where the races went.

Then came time to start installing bearings, i had read that if you heat the bearing it will slide right on into place. Absolutely true!! We still had to tap a couple of spots (using the aluminum bushing so we werent putting pressure on the cage of the bearings.

got the ring gear bolted into place, got everything shimmed and torqued down. backlash, preload, etc... then disaster struck...

I've been reading up on building an 8.8 for over a month now. Went into this build extremely confident that i would be able to complete the task. No where in any of my readings did i read anything about a notched cross pin for steeper gears. A 25 dollar part will now cost me several hours of labor to tear the rear back down, separate the ring gear, install new pin, re-shim/torque everything... Oh well, now i know! Just playing the waiting game now for the pin to come in the mail so i can finish the rear build and put it under the car!

MM + Cleavage member #22

Last edited by KS_Yeti; December 19th, 2016 at 07:20 PM.
post #20 of 35 Old December 19th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Regular

Damn this build with your kids is what I would love to accomplish when my son gets older. Car is coming along nicely. Also im not single so lets see how that goes.

2001 Mustang GT - Airaid CAI, Accel Super Coils, UPR O/R X-pipe, Super 44 Flowmasters, BAMA Tune, Powerstop Rotor/Brakes,SR Short Throw Shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page