Project: Make my mustang not kill me - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old December 18th, 2016, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

Project: Make my mustang not kill me

So recently my SHO ejected a diff pin and pretty much destroyed itself. Want to get a wavetrac kit for it eventually. Since my mustang isn't road worthy, I had to get my Syclone on the road. I changed the upper control arms and bushings, tie rods, relocated the battery from the bed (no idea why he put it there) to behind the passenger seat, changed all the "vacuum lines" (they used gardening lines), and got a data logging cable to see everything that was going on with it. Smogged it, and now I'm using that as my daily. Still only rwd though since it needs a new transfer case. But I don't want to daily my Syclone, so I'm going to start making my mustang road worthy. I'm pretty much going to list everything that wrong with it and slowly cross stuff off as I make progress. It pretty much needs a bit of everything, but I'll try to kinda list it in order of importance. It will be a slow process because I have to maintain my Syclone and hopefully get my SHO going, also have a CR500 dirt bike that needs some work, and I want to save up for a street bike to ride through the summer. Hopefully by the end of winter my mustang will be drivable. Anyways, here's the long list of everything that going out on it.

1. Tires. Tires are at a abooouut -10%. No tread left, threads are showing on the rears (I wonder why)
2. Brakes. Pretty sure every time I hit the brakes the pads are gouging the rotors. So I need new rotors, and pads.
3. Steering. Need new bushings everywhere, alignment etc.. Squeeks really loud when I steer.
4. Exhaust leak. Need some bolts for the passage manifold, 2 fell out. Luckily the 2 I can reach easily.
5. Suspension. Somehow it manages to have a stiff ride, yet have a ton of body roll. Shocks are non-existent.
6. Engine. The engine is worn out. It's had a very hard life. I beat on it a good amount, but at least I maintain it. The previous owner had no mercy on this poor thing. 140k on it, been overheated many times by the previous owner I'm sure with no oil changes from him.
7. Transmission. After some spirited driving it doesn't like going into gear. Synchros are probably going out. Will double clutching help?
8. Reserve braking. I have none. No idea why.
9. Cosmetics. Previous driver was "trying to drift while racing someone" and hit them. Driver side door and front quarter panel need to be replaced. Also needs to be repainted, lots of scratches and oxidation.
10. Just discovered a small hole in my radiator. God dammit.

Those are all the things it needs, still some small unimportant stuff though. I got this car originally for $1800 with 130k on it. Have put about $250 into it so far, mostly from head gaskets. Still don't regret buying it. Hard to find a new edge for cheap, and at the time it ran fine. The joy it's brought me has already paid for itself.
So now the real question, should I slowly replace everything until I have a really nice car that I know everything thats been done and done right, or fix some of the major things like brakes, alignment and tires and just sell it and make a bit of a profit on it. Or fix those and drive the shit out of it until it dies haha. I'm confident I can fix everything other than paint for around 3k. But I could get a nice new edge for 3k plus like 2k from selling it. But it won't have a bunch of shiny new parts like this would.

Well, I'll start with tires and brakes, then bushings and alignment.

Last edited by 1C2; December 26th, 2016 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Adding to the list ;n;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old December 19th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Garage
I say use patience, and slowly fix it from a safety to fun perspective. Ie. fix the safety concerns first, then move on to the fun stuff.

That said, also weight your overall plans for the car against the options at this time, if you plan to just have a daily that has a bit of kick vs. building a straight up drag car, etc.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

DD: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile (1.8 60') on 93 octane tune/CAI only. SAE corrected: 369.4/451.4 on E20, full Bolt On
post #3 of 5 Old December 20th, 2016, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
I say use patience, and slowly fix it from a safety to fun perspective. Ie. fix the safety concerns first, then move on to the fun stuff.

That said, also weight your overall plans for the car against the options at this time, if you plan to just have a daily that has a bit of kick vs. building a straight up drag car, etc.
That's pretty much the plan right now. Not sure what I eventually want it to be, but probably just a daily with some kick to start off, then maybe something more extreme.

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT

post #4 of 5 Old December 25th, 2016, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

I haven't driven the Mustang in awhile so today I decided to take her for a spin. Took a bit to start and when it first started it seemed like it was firing on like 4 cylinders for a few seconds. Anyways after that she ran fine. Took it around the block and man I miss the sound and feeling of it!

Anyways, does anyone know the bolt size for the exhaust manifold? I have a big exhaust leak cause 2 of them seemed to have backed out and fell somewhere..
post #5 of 5 Old February 4th, 2017, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

So I think tomorrow i'm going to order these rotors since mine are gouged beyond repair: Nakamoto Rotor Amp Brake Pad Kit Ceramic Performance Drilled Slotted Front Rear | eBay

Unless anyone objects, probably will have these shipped tomorrow. Then after the contest winner is announced ill get some tires. Any decent cheap tire suggestions appreciated

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page