Modded Mustang Forums banner

Max Safe PSI On Stock Internals

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Dbo1220 
#1 ·
anyone know what the max boost you can run on stock internals with a fmu, cold air, 3" exhaust? thanks for the help guys. BTW its an 84 model if that makes a difference

#3 ·
If the stock internals are your limit, then much more than that. The factory SVO engines are forged, and have seen 500+ on many cars. If you have a factory fuel system then HMUSN hit the nail on the head. If you have an adjustable FPR and better than factory fuel pump you can up the fuel pressure and push the factory injectors to handle more boost but the factory turbo on your car will get in it's own way above 23-24 psi.

With fmu, did you mean a front mount intercooler? FMIC?

#5 ·
yes i meant fuel managment, and i do have an upgraded fuel pump. im using this car as a dd and just dont want to push it past its limits

#6 ·
If you don't want to risk it keep it below 18psi.

#9 ·
There are some that have run higher than that with factory internal parts, but they never last long as in less than a dozen trips to the drag strip. But yes if you have enough fuel pump and injectors and a way to tune for them to keep the car from going lean you can run a lot of boost.

#10 ·
I'd like to point out that with any original 2.3T computer it already has programming to increase fuel flow with boost. If you add a fuel management unit it will just be in the way of the factory computer settings. All you really need is a bigger than factory pump, like a Walbro 255lph in tank and AFPR. The factory injectors should flow enough to support around 300whp.

Also, with a really good FMIC you can get away with a littl more boost on factory fuel equipment because of the cooler air charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.